• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Last Airbender - My Impressions -- SPOILERS

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
OK, so you may or my not know that I've been eagerly awaiting to see this film for years, and I finally saw it today (well, yesterday, now.) I went into this movie expecting it to be great. It looked great from all of the trailers and TV spots, but that is where they get you. I was expecting it to be awesome.

The film was a complete trainwreck and m. knight shyamalan is now on my hitlist. Now let me explain to you exactly why I just said that, in no particular order.

• It was all over the place. Events happened in places that they should not have.
  • The casting for all of the Fire Nation. Enough said.
  • The changing of certain pronunciations.
  • Making Pakku fat and jolly.
  • Making Iroh thin and have dreadlocks.
  • Zuko having a full set of hair IN BOOK ONE.
  • Appa sounded like an elephant being molested.
  • The captured Earthbenders were kept in an outside jail... room, with EARTH ALL AROUND THEM, and having Aang give them a pep talk instead of Katara.
  • Boomerang did not look like Boomerang.
  • The Blue Spirit's crazy hair.
  • Zhau worked way too closely with the Fire Lord.
  • COMPLETE AND TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF THE SIEGE OF THE NORTH PORTION! The whole reason it was so awesome was because Aang worked with the Water Spirit to make badassery happen.
  • Firebenders can only bend fire if there is fire around, and they are absolutely helpless without it.
  • There were no 3D effects IN THE 3D VERSION.
  • Princess Yue's father is dead? Since when? SINCE WHEN SHYAMALON?!
  • OMG HUGE WAVE KBAI NOW! ^^
  • Aang couldn't get a grasp on Waterbending, whereas in the original, he picked it up with no problems at all.
  • THE COMPLETE AND UTTER LACK OF AVATAR ROKU, AND PUTTING HIS DRAGON IN HIS PLACE!
  • Aang ran away for the completely wrong reason.
  • The complete lack of charm, and failure at attempting humor.
  • Aang was way too serious and emo.
  • Katara was a pushover.
  • Sokka was dull and unfunny.
  • Stab stab stab, stabby stabby fish fish.
There are probably other things, but they escape me at the moment.
Overall, it wasn't bad as a film, but it was bad as Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Final verdict: 2/5

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hm. I'm glad I decided to turn down going to see The Last Airbender now. From what I hear, that director likes to change things from the original plan to suit his own tastes. Didnt he direct another movie that was a complete trainwreck?

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
Hmm... the reviews are coming in now I see. I wasn't really expecting it to be great, but at least ok. It's not a very good sign, though you review... I don't plan on seeing it in the theater anyway, but I not happy to hear it's that bad...

But one thing, I remember firebenders could always make their own fire, unlike the water and earth benders.
Firebenders use their internal body heat as a source of their bending to create fire. This facet of Firebending is in sharp contrast to the other bending arts, which manipulate already present representations of their element (though Firebenders can control or enhance flames nearby).

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've been wanting to see it, but my fiance's been skeptical, seeing some early reviews. I gues he has the right to be.

So much for one of my best online freinds being so sure that Shamylan wouldn't mess it up becuase his kids love ATLA and they'd hate him if he got things wrong. Um...

If I do see, thanks for the heads up not to spring for the price of 3D glasses.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I guess I'm glad I didn't go to see it. I must say, good review Vincent.

But wow, I can't believe they changed so much in the movie. Aang being all serious and stuff... he was never like that in the anime. Sure, there were times when he put his serious face on, but he was usually very cheery and happy and uplifting.

And then the fact that Firebenders only control fires... what?

Zuko having a full head of hair in Book One... that didn't happen until Book Four.

I just can't believe how much they messed up of the Avatar: The Last Airbender world. It kind makes me a bit mad, they could've made it so great if they had at least stayed true to the original design.

I loved the anime, and I thought the movie would be at pretty good too.

What were they thinking?! Did they even watch the original anime?!

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
And then the fact that Firebenders only control fires... what?
Oh, wait I miss read Vincent... That is realy bad that was changed... The firebenders were so powerful and dangerous because of that! That makes them being the nation trying to take over the world, a bunch of push overs.. With out that extra advantge, I really don't see them as much as a threat.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Yeah.... I was really excited to see this. I was PUMPED. But... oh gawd, when I saw it, I wanted to cry. It was truly that horrible. The only good part was Aang's flipping around at the end.

I... can't even go into detail about how frustrated I am without going into a wikipedia-sized rant. Hopefully the next two movies he has in mind will never make it to the big screen.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
When I heard they were making a live action for Avatar back when it was first announced, I was pretty excited. Then I started seeing the trailers, and some leaked information on the changes, and I just totally turned against the idea. I saw some of the casting and other images, and at first it was more that I just didn't want my childhood memories of the characters tarnished. Then I started hearing things about how Firebenders actually needed an outside source of fire to fight...That makes no practical sense at all. How could people with that kind of liability hold up a war? I just don't get it. Then I read some of the reviews coming out for the movie. *shakes head* Yeah, definitely not going to go see it.

• Aang was way too serious and emo.
  • Katara was a pushover.
  • Sokka was dull and unfunny.
...Seriously? SERIOUSLY? That's like their opposites in personality from the animated series. Wow.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
I seen a few episodes of the anime. And I like the anime better, but the movie... I just saw it and there were no 3D effect (sad...:()

There is much bad about this movie, so I say 3/5. They could've put in more detail, but I'm in high hopes that the next movie will be better;)
Where there any funny parts my sister wants to know? B/c I use to watch the anime series and she watched the episodes that were funny... It kinda looked toooo serious! How was the guy who played aang was he any good? SOO MANY QUESTIONS!!!
I want to go see it even if it is serious. Shamalayn or something like that is a little loony but some of the movies are ok.
But thanks for telling me not to see it in 3D...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom