• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Lack Of Zelda

Kotaku said:
There comes a time in the week to reflect on what got into my reporter's notebook but didn't turn into Kotaku blog posts. Shall we?

I pretty much got to everything I wanted to this week, though we've entered the time of the year when it's less a matter of reporting not getting done but games not being played. I've got Half Minute Hero in my PSP for review and have been sneaking some time in with Uncharted 2 before putting it and any other game I'm not assigned to review to the side.

There were just one thing that got left in my notebook this week:

No Zelda: I was able to write a few posts about New Super Mario Bros. Wii thanks to Nintendo demonstrating the game in New York on Monday. I had anticipated writing some posts about The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks as well, because I was sure that the E3 build Nintendo had shown in June in L.A., later that month in New York, then in September in Seattle, would be no more. The game is two months away, so time for a new build to try, right? Not yet. The special E3 demo is all Nintendo will show for now, keeping this highly-anticipated game still something of a mystery as its December release approaches. It's a little odd that Nintendo wouldn't have anything new, but I see it less as a sign that gamers should be concerned than that Nintendo is keeping this one close.

That's it, really. I had a day off and was preoccupied by some non-post-related stuff (apartment drama!) that kept me from filling my notebook with much else. I advanced reporting on some pieces I hope to have until next week, but until then, a lack of Zelda is all I've got for you.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.
Nintendo isn't doing much to advertise one of their major titles and the game is just 2 months off. Apparently this worries quite a few people. Then other's say things along the lines of "This is simply a part of Nintendo's new MO -- hit consumers fast and hard with media right before the game comes out in order to build hype while avoiding the highs and lows of long dev cycles."

Thoughts on this? Should we expect the date to be pushed back? It would be nice to see some fresh content from the game to help build the hype...

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I doubt the game will be pushed back. Nintendo rarely, if ever does that. They just don't tend to advertise their games very much. Even with all of the Wii ads on TV upon it's release, I never saw a single one for Twilight Princess. The only time I ever saw a Metroid Prime 3 ad was on the net at IGN's site.

They tend not to bother advertising the "hardcore" titles, (even if they are aimed at the more casual market like PH was) because they know that the fanbase that plays those titles will buy them regardless. This has been hinted at but not directly stated with a few of the conversations with Nintendo marketing through sites like IGN and other game reporting websites.

Even without much, if any, advertising, Phantom Hourglass has gone on to sell more than 4 million copies. And with that title, it was played 'close to the chest' as well.

Nintendo as a company has a really odd outlook on advertising, and I don't see anything different happening with Spirit Tracks so far. I don't think we have a single thing to worry about. :)

I just reserved my copy today while I was at GameStop replacing my DSi once again. I don't know if it was something that was really needed because there isn't much hype about the game but considering it's a holiday release I figured it would be safe.

It's also possible to order the Prima Strategy Guide already as well.

Last edited:

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
Well, that is true that they don't do much advertising. Even if they do just a little bit of it, i'm sure that there will be more people buying it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom