• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Ideal Length for Zelda WiiU

I shan't posture this thread by reminding you which Zelda games have felt long because of gameplay elements (like Wind Waker's Nintendo Gallery) Or Twilight Princess's impressive length when compared to installments before it...

Question is, how long do you want Zelda WiiU to be, Nintendo said that games like SS would take 50+ hours and i clocked it at 21hours with all but two side quests remaining (15 gratitude Crystals and and Beedles Bug).

So how many hours for the main quest would you think that given Zelda WiiU's next gen status should take to complete?

How long it takes you to complete a game is entirely subjective and depends on the type of playthrough the gamer is pursuing. Minimalist and three heart runs will naturally be the quickest, followed by regular romps, and full completions. Skyward Sword took me around 40 hours to complete but for someone like JuicieJ who likely scavenged every nook and crannie that time would be augmented to twice as much.

Above all I want a title with great replay value along the lines of Ocarina of Time which I can go back to again and again. The number of sidequests and dungeon doesn't truly matter as long as I have an experience I'll be willing to relive over and over in search of the most efficient route. Returning to the example of the 1998 N64 classic I'm still trying to best my personal Water Temple best to this day by formulating strategies of my own and observing those of others on You Tube. It's not necessarily the single play through length I'm looking for but the continued longevity.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
A 40-50 hour storyline like SS's would be sufficient, followed by around up to 60 hours of side-content. I think that would be appropriate for an HD Zelda game.

but for someone like JuicieJ who likely scavenged every nook and crannie that time would be augmented to twice as much.

You might want to try Locke on this one. He took a little over 90 hours. I did take about 75, though. XD

Fig

The Altruist
A 40-50 hour storyline like SS's would be sufficient, followed by around up to 60 hours of side-content. I think that would be appropriate for an HD Zelda game.

You might want to try Locke on this one. He took a little over 90 hours. I did take about 75, though. XD

What JuicieJ said, but to me, 40-50 hours of main game sounds too small. I was actually thinking along the lines of 60-70 hours with 60+ hours of side content. :D

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Also not looking things up online will make the game take longer, mostly when it comes to hidden objects to find, like heart containers and such.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The dungeons should be longer than SS's and there should be more of them. At least 10 mandatory dungeons and 5 optional for sidequests that are actually lengthy and fun rather than: boring fetch this for some a**hole who you don't even like. Slaying quests are a good idea(where you travel to an area to kill some kind of beast or a hoard of monsters) There should also be other mandatory quests that do not involve proper dungeons but take place in the overworld.

SS on first playthrough took me 28 hours. I want Wii U Zelda to take me 50+ hours.

masterSword2

Smile!
I agree with Fig. I like a big game, that I can really get involved in. Im not saying that shorter games are less enjoyable, but with longer games, I'm usually able to better immerse myself.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For the main quest alone? It should take around 50 hours if you're doing a "normal"* run. Around 100 hours if you're doing a 100% run, and I would say anywhere from 10 to 24 hours if you're doing a 3HC/Minimalist run.

In the end, though, I'm much like A Link In Time: the length of the game doesn't matter all too much so long as I can visit and revisit the game near infinitely with the love I had for it upon first playthrough.

*A normal run, I define as simply playing the game while of course stopping to take in the sights. Perhaps paying attention to dialogue as well as reading cutscenes, but you're not 100%ing the game by any stretch of the term.

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
I'm giving the length of what I think the game should be in terms of dungeons. I think there should be about 12 dungeons to keep gameplay going, and finally give us a huge zelda game. :P

But if you wanted a measurement in hours, i'd say about 50 for the main quest, at least.

T

Thrashoholic

I would say the ideal time for the main quest would be between 40 to 50 hours. If it were any shorter it wouldn't be long enough, but if you went higher, the games' replay value would diminish. I usually only replay games that I can beat within a month or so. It's like how OOT and MM aren't that long but they both have incredible replay value because you could pick them up and beat them within a week while still feeling satisfied.

Its all about pacing to me, the game can be 70 hours if the main quest and side quests are interesting. I think 50-60 hours for 100% is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom