• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Ice Bucket Challenge: A Fad For the Vain

Ganondork

goo
The ice bucket challenge is a recent fad aimed at raising awareness for ALS, a disease that afflicts nerve cells and can cause paralysis. This particular disease is increasingly common in professional football players, as their many concussions throughout their football career cause long term damage. ALS has been in the local news, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, and even 60 Minutes. I personally have known of it for about four years now.

For those who don't know, the ice bucket challenge is a challenge where your friends and family nominate you to do one of two things: pour a bucket of ice-cold water on your head, or donate $100 to the ALS Association. In recent weeks, it has received national attention. College football coaches have been filmed being doused in frigid waters and replayed on ESPN.

So what is wrong with this? Quite a few things. The most glaring problem I have noticed is that everyone receives attention for pouring the water on their head. No one that I know who has done it - I know about 10 people that have done it - has actually donated any money. Despite this, they receive endless praise for doing something that doesn't help the ALS Association get any closer to finding a cure or treatment. Even people with a considerable amount of money - college football coaches, namely - opt to get publicity via pouring a bucket of water on their head instead of actually helping the cause.

To place a personal anecdote into this argument, my sister did the ice bucket challenge today. The problem was a number of things: she took water from our pool, which was around 85 degrees. It was by no means cold. In addition, she had no intention of donating money. In her video, she didn't even mention ALS. I got the impression almost immediately that she was doing it as a means of seeming charitable without donating anything.

My mother was then challenged to do it. Except she had no idea why she was doing it. It wasn't until the 85 degree water was poured on her and the phone was turned off that she bothered to ask why she did it. I'm pretty sure she has absolutely no idea what ALS is. I really fail to see how it raises awareness when some people don't even know why they are doing this.

Then comes a moral dilemma that I have been wondering since I knew about this challenge. I started wondering if a charitable act is actually a charitable act if the reasoning behind doing it is acceptance for being part of a fad. Perhaps I wouldn't feel this way if they were donating money, but they are just pouring a bucket of cold water on their head. How is this an act of selflessness when the reasoning behind it is all but selfless? I see nothing but attempts at gaining praise and attention coming from this challenge. ALS is not any closer to being cured. People's egos are being stroked, and that's all.

While I didn't have $100 to donate, I left all of the money in my wallet ($70) on my sister's bed for her to donate. During a semi-argument between her and I earlier, she asked me if I had $100 to give to the cause. I was taken aback by this question. Why does it have to be $100? Is any donation below that inadequate? Am I supposed to be looked down upon for not having that much money? I find it hard to be sympathetic to these people, when they'd rather pour water on their head than actual raise money for a cause.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sounds to me like anyone who did the icy water over their head thing has avoided donating to charity... I understand why the organisers (if you can call them that) did this, as in I get the concept at least; easily shareable and will spread quickly, which will get lots of people's attentions quickly and raise awareness and hopefully drive more donations, but without people actually explaining the cause and stuff, it's just pointless really. And if people don't donate and don't explain why they just poured water over their head... it's absolutely pointless. All seems quite weird.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's a craze that people want to be a part of simply because it's so popular right now; it's the thing to do so to say. Reminds me of the Harlem Shake, or those other weird challenges people would do online. However the difference with this one, is that this it's meant for charitable purposes.

I feel almost as if the actual cause and reason for the challenge has been lost within the realm of the Internet and anyone is just doing it now to be in on the fad. I'm sure a lot of people are still donating, and I'm sure that it's rapid rise to mainstream popularity has increased the amount of money being raised, but it just seems... wrong. It's like they'd rather be a part of the craze rather than doing it for the actual cause.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well so help me God I have been challenged by my friend! She is a Penguins fan and she was nominated by a mutual friend and Mario Lemieux and she nominated me and another friend. So somewhere this week Vee is going to do it too and it rains here and is windy....where is the hot weather when you need it???

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I had heard that it used to be ice bucket and donate 5$ or donate 100$ so that money is still donated. I agree that it is wrong what it has become wrong, as all it is actually doing is raising awareness. If the 5$ were donated as well, then perhaps I wouldn't have a problem with it.

However I don't think it's immoral to simply donate because of a fad. Many billionaires give to charity to avoid taxes, but that doesn't make it wrong. As long as donations are made to help, reasons shouldn't matter.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I ignore these kinds of challenges. Not too long ago it was for people to jump into the ocean. It supposedly started out as a way to raise money for cancer research, or something to that effect, but in the videos I saw of people doing this, they challenged the people who didn't jump into the ocean to give something to them instead. One person said that the person she challenged owed her a DVD of her choice if they didn't follow through, another told the people he challenged that if they didn't do it they were to buy his kids something from the toy store.

I already found the challenge riddiculous, but these videos certainly made me determined to ignore a challenge if it ever came my way. Firstly because it's just pointless. Jumping into the ocean or having a bucket of icy water poured over you does absolutely nothing. There are many better ways of raising awareness, like posting/sharing information about the condition you want people to know more about, posting information on how a person could help if they feel compelled to. Secondly, I can't stand peer pressure. Charity should be about compelling people into wanting to help, not forcing them to make a donation.

well to this I say, I don't care if they do it, if they donate and talk about what the disease is/or what the challenge and donation is for then that's cool. I'm gonna donate but i'll be damned if I record myself tossing a bucket of water on my head

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Keith essentially took the words out of my mouth. His master post pretty much says what I want to say.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Facebook is full of this challenge. Quite frankly I don't care about it. It's a good cause, but I probably wouldn't bother accepting a challenge.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
First of all, a lot of people pour the ice on their head and donate. Secondly, the idea behind the ice bucket challenge is to raise awareness; it helps als indirectly, even if you have no idea what als is or of your intentions are selfish. ALS has raised over 10x as much money this year as last year, and the year isn't even over yet. Would I have donated money to ALS if there was no ice bucket challenge? Hell no. Honestly you are blowing this way out of proportion. It's not "vain" to participate in the challenge, that is incredibly false.

Also "endless praise" is a gross overstatement. It's usually "haha funny video" not "omg you are a hero for pouring some ice water on you head".

Also, for people saying that there are better ways to raise awareness...sure, in the context of actually understanding what ALS is. But I would argue that there is no better way to raise money, and the huge donation amounts prove it.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yes, it is true that stupid common man have only taken part of this challenge for lolz but that doesn't make the challenge itself vain. Celebrities and even fictitious characters are going viral with this challenge and in doing so, spreading the word like the plague. The idea of challenging multiple people is pure genius because it guarantees more money for the cause while the multitude of challenge videos grab our attention and burn the letters ALS into our brains. While it doesn't really explain what ALS is, all the money that was donated because of this challenge will surely suffice.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[video=youtube;yB8K7sVGYh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8K7sVGYh4[/video]

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I don't see the significance of a bucket of ice water being poured on your head. That is one thing that gets me.

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
The reason it is ice bucket is becasue ALS is a dieseases that makes it feel like you are frozen were you cant move or its hard to move. So pouring the ice bucket over your head has some significance.

I think this is great and ALS is getting so much money for this good cause.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I don't see the significance of a bucket of ice water being poured on your head. That is one thing that gets me.

It's supposed to simulate the feeling of having ALS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom