• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors The Hype Train Has Crashed

Mido

Version 1
I have to say, it's kind of a bummer when spoilers get released and what not, but heck, it happens. Still, from what I'm getting out of this news, it seems to me that the roster may have reached its limit then. In that regard, I'm a little disappointed with Hyrule Warriors, albeit I have not and do not wish to check out the remainder of the spoilers at the moment. I think this game has more potential than what was milked out of the concept. All in all, I obviously have not played the game yet, so I cannot vouch for my assumptions.

As for my own hype, it has not really wavered, but it also has not increased in any way. As a semi-die hard Warriors fan, I am bound to pick up this game regardless of what has been revealed.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I think the expanding DLC over time will help keep the game fresh. For me at least. Hopefully we'll get a new character every once and a while after the inevitable villain trio.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I'm not sure how well I can really comment on this thread since I haven't been on any Zelda-centered sites in a while. I know I saw a lot of it in relation to E3, and not much about it since, but I don't know if that qualifies as the "hype train crashing" as it were. I'm not following it mostly because I do not own a WiiU at present. I guess it depends on what communities you are involved in and how invested they are in this upcoming game.

Dynasty Warriors has always been a series that highly appeals to the Japanese home audience. Not surprisingly, from what I've read, Hyrule Warriors has been tremendously received there and boosted Wii U sales a few times over.

There will probably still be some teasers and small bits of news for the Western audience, but at best, Hyrule Warriors fills a specific niche like Metroid.

Mido

Version 1
Dynasty Warriors has always been a series that highly appeals to the Japanese home audience. Not surprisingly, from what I've read, Hyrule Warriors has been tremendously received there and boosted Wii U sales a few times over.

There will probably still be some teasers and small bits of news for the Western audience, but at best, Hyrule Warriors fills a specific niche like Metroid.

I definitely agree with you on this. Warriors games are usually much more well-received in Japan as opposed to outside audiences. I think Famitsu gave the game a 36/40, but I'm not positive. Western audiences often give Warriors games ratings ranging from positive to mixed. GameInformer, at least since the sixth installment of Dynasty Warriors, has not given the series a rating above 7, usually averaging at about 6/10. As a result of such ratings, Techmo-Koei has decreased localization for the series, albeit still releasing the latest installments. I went on a little bit of a tangent with the de-localization point, which I don't think applies to Hyrule Warriors as far as I know. As you have said, Hyrule Warriors will ultimately have its fans, and play its role among the Western audiences.

I definitely agree with you on this. Warriors games are usually much more well-received in Japan as opposed to outside audiences. I think Famitsu gave the game a 36/40, but I'm not positive. Western audiences often give Warriors games ratings ranging from positive to mixed. GameInformer, at least since the sixth installment of Dynasty Warriors, has not given the series a rating above 7, usually averaging at about 6/10. As a result of such ratings, Techmo-Koei has decreased localization for the series, albeit still releasing the latest installments. I went on a little bit of a tangent with the de-localization point, which I don't think applies to Hyrule Warriors as far as I know. As you have said, Hyrule Warriors will ultimately have its fans, and play its role among the Western audiences.

I agree. I think also the point should be made that many western Nintendo players like to know the characters they are playing as. Put Mario into anything and you've got guaranteed sales. If the game was equally as brilliant but a new IP people would be more cautious just because it is a new IP. I can say I was the same when Pikmin came out. But now I like it. I loathe the time limit restrictions the first game was about but 2 and 3 are great. I don't own them but what I have played of them I like a lot. And I think this is the same with Hyrule Warriors. I think many western people will not be so into it if it was not LoZ themed.

I have not played any Dynasty Warrior games. I didn't even know they were so big in Japan till after I did research post the announcement of Hyrule Warriors. I think that says something too. Many western gamers just don't know what Dunasty Warriors is about.

Also I am surprised that no one has talked Mystic Heroes for the Gamecube. I have no idea if this game is linked to Dynasty Warriors or if it's its own thing. But Mystic Heroes gameplay feels almost exactly the same as Hyrule Warriors. Both game have spells. Both games have a challenge mode, Hyrule Warriors version being so much better, both games having a character upgrade system - Runes for Mystic Heroes and Badges for Hyrule Warriors. The main difference I think is Hyrule Warriors is not purely linear like Mystic Heroes is and Hyrule Warriors has ways to upgrade your weapon. I can see why Mystic Heroes got bad scores. What is there is (in my opinion) very fun. But the amount of content was pretty limited. Hyrule Warriors from what we've read has tried to give the game tons of replayability.

If the game was called Hyrule Heroes and set in the LoZ Universe I'm sure the game would have gotten more advertising and better scores from western reviewers. I am not saying Hyrule Warriors is not worthy of praise it gets, it is. I am just saying The Loz tag added to a game automatically makes western audiences take notice. It's a harder sell without being attached to a well known franchise for a Nintendo game in the western market.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Why couldn't you have avoided spoilers for the game to begin with? That way you wouldn't have to make this thread.

That's not the point is it? This is not about me looking at spoilers, it is about the rate at which they are churned out by the creators of the game and the fact they thought that releasing a game a month earlier in Japan than in the west was a good idea. I'm saying that it was not a good idea because people who like to learn new things about a game up to release date now have nothing new to look forward to and have to wait a month now to actually play the game.

This is not about me looking at spoilers, it is about the rate at which they are churned out by the creators of the game and the fact they thought that releasing a game a month earlier in Japan than in the west was a good idea. I'm saying that it was not a good idea because people who like to learn new things about a game up to release date now have nothing new to look forward to and have to wait a month now to actually play the game.

This is normal for Tecmo Koei. They always release their games in Japan first before sending it to the west and this can take up to 6 months before western players can finally play it. Heck, Samurai Warriors 4 has been out since March this year and it's due to come to the west this October. All I know about this game as of now is which characters are in it, that's it.

Since this game has been out for a while, I could easily research all the details and new stuff they've added to this game. Even if I did know every nook and cranny of the game, I would still be hyped to play this game. All I'm saying is, with a little bit of tolerance to avoid looking at information and patience for this game to come out, you can still learn new things about said game even after it's been out so long in a country and look forward to it's release. With Hyrule Warriors, the wait is nothing compared to Samurai Warriors 4 and there is still stuff about this game that I don't know about.

As I said earlier all I know about Samurai Warriors 4 is who's in the game and probably know the general idea of the gameplay (mainly because I have played other Samurai Warrior games). I've been waiting to play this game ever since it was announced last year and it's been out in Japan since March, but you don't hear me complaining about how everything has been revealed and how long we have to wait to play the game. So really if you initially had the tolerance to avoid looking at information of said game, You wouldn't be complaining about how there will be nothing new to look forward to.

Last edited:
I was super excited for Hyrule warriors. They were revealing new info by the week, by the day even. However now it's out in japan they've revealed everything and now the rest of us have to wait a month to actually get the game. They can't reveal anything new because they've shown it all and now my excitement has dropped significantly. Unless they suddenly reveal something like a tingle and groose DLC to coincide with the western release I don't see how they can build excitement again.
I don't know, what do you think? Do you feel similarly about the HW situation?

Basically you just spoiled everything for yourself by watching video's of the JP gameplay.
If you'd just wait for a month without spoilers, you would've been much more hyped at this time..
End of story. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Basically you just spoiled everything for yourself by watching video's of the JP gameplay.
If you'd just wait for a month without spoilers, you would've been much more hyped at this time..
End of story. :)

That came across as very smug, like you were rubbing it in.

Fig

The Altruist
That's not the point is it? This is not about me looking at spoilers, it is about the rate at which they are churned out by the creators of the game and the fact they thought that releasing a game a month earlier in Japan than in the west was a good idea. I'm saying that it was not a good idea because people who like to learn new things about a game up to release date now have nothing new to look forward to and have to wait a month now to actually play the game.

The thing is, you really can't use that argument as most games are first released in Japan first and then are given an international release. It's all on the matter of having more tolerance to accept that you will have to be patient for the game to release at your region. This isn't some new marketing method that Nintendo has just started, this has been like this since the company entered the gaming industry.

You can't use that as a reason to why the hype train for you has come to a halt. I'm on the same boat as you as I am trying to get as much information on the game and being spoiled because I am interested in the game while also knowing that I just need to wait several weeks until it's my turn to play Hyrule Warriors. I had to wait for months for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black/White/Black 2/White 2 versions to be released in the states despite knowing everything three to four months prior. Yet my hype for the games never dropped and only increased with each passing day. You either want to be spoiled or you don't, simple as that. If you are really complaining that there's nothing to look forward to when it comes to Hyrule Warriors, then I suggest you avoid spoilers for games such as Smash 4 and Pokémon OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire just so you can have something to look forward to.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The thing is, you really can't use that argument as most games are first released in Japan first and then are given an international release. It's all on the matter of having more tolerance to accept that you will have to be patient for the game to release at your region. This isn't some new marketing method that Nintendo has just started, this has been like this since the company entered the gaming industry.

You can't use that as a reason to why the hype train for you has come to a halt. I'm on the same boat as you as I am trying to get as much information on the game and being spoiled because I am interested in the game while also knowing that I just need to wait several weeks until it's my turn to play Hyrule Warriors. I had to wait for months for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black/White/Black 2/White 2 versions to be released in the states despite knowing everything three to four months prior. Yet my hype for the games never dropped and only increased with each passing day. You either want to be spoiled or you don't, simple as that. If you are really complaining that there's nothing to look forward to when it comes to Hyrule Warriors, then I suggest you avoid spoilers for games such as Smash 4 and Pokémon OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire just so you can have something to look forward to.

Most Nintendo games are released in japan first? well maybe you are right, however I can't say I have bought most Nintendo games.
Lets look at this though

Skyward Sword Release date:
November 18 EU
November 20 NA
November 23 JP

look, Japan got it last and there was only 2 days in between release dates as well. Seeing as HW is a Zelda spinoff which only the west will purchase perhaps it should have been released here first too.

Mario Kart 8 however was actually released in Japan first...a day before EU and NA.

This is a whole months difference for HW. This is how I can and will reason that the hype train has come to a halt. It's like a month of Nothing. No trailers, no new info. A blank month like the game is no longer coming.

I AM NOT complaining there is nothing to look forward to. I like a steady drip feed of info and they have blown it an entire month early, because of that ridiculous release date discrepancy. I have the game itself to look forward to. I know what I am getting. I know what to expect. But I would be more excited for it had it been released even a day or so after the Japanese release date when new info was still coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom