• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies

Djinn

and Tonic
...cannot believe we do not have a thread for this yet..

10487496_709243752456157_5848295823130567912_n.jpg

We're going to need a bigger bow

V4ol5qP.jpg

I hope someone shops this into a nativity scene for christmas

[video=youtube;rgNNb8bm_b8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgNNb8bm_b8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Anyway, since we are only a few weeks off from the release of this movie I like to make a thread dedicated to any news, rumors, images, teasers and trailers.

However I think the first disturbing revisionist aspect would be the name changing that occurred back in April. Before the movie was titled There and Back Again, but was changed to Battle of Five Armies. Most likely to capitalize on the whole super awesome amazing special effect nature of the film that New Line is a huge fan of. Here is Peret Jackson's words on it. I'm wondering how much executive meddling is going on in this movie.

"Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".
When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.
And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is."

Still will be a pretty fun movie, when I think of all the other big, epic fantasy films they all seem.....awful. Even with an extra 43 hours of bloat these are still really good movies.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I for one can't wait for the movie. I love huge, epic fantasy movies like this. Some fans seem to dislike the fact that such a short novel is translated into three movies and a lot of things are added, which didn't even happen in the book. For instance, Legolas was never in the original book. I however, can't get enough of the LOTR lore. It's the same with Star Wars fan who hated the three new movies and probably died now that Disney is making more. I on the other hand hope they make another six if the quality is good enough. Same with LOTR, I hope that the Sylmarrion (or whatever the name is) makes it into the cinemas as well, even though it's not likely since the son of Tolkien holds the rights and doesn't want to sell them.

I'm hoping for an epic movie with great battle scenes, such as in Two Towers and Return of the King. I will definetly be seeing this in the cinemas.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I'm stoked.

I actually don't really mind the fluff, anything Lord of the Rings related and I'm hooked. I'm actually enjoying the Hobbit movies just as much despite popular opinion. I do agree that An Unexpected Journey was bloated, but Desolation of Smaug improved vastly in nearly every aspect - even with going on a slightly different path to the book. I'm sure they'll be tons of special effects, tons of hours of fluff, events/characters that aren't in the book, but I can't wait.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I LOVE all the fluff. It needs more fluff! I've only ever had one serious problem with this trilogy, where they chose to split the second and third parts. They should have kept going, finished that climax, instead of shoving it into the first twenty minutes of the last one. We'll have the huge high, then it'll be slow and filled with dramatic character conflict for the bulk of the first part after the Laketown stuff. Good on its own, but kind of incompatible with what it'll start with. Oh.... and I do suppose that the name of the last part is kind of bad.... it sounds horribly cheesy for such a high profile film. It's okay as a chapter title in the book, not as the as the subtitle of a whole film.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I don't know why people are whining. I'd rather have a bunch more LOTR lore and even more stuff to watch than some standard book-to-movie adaptation that cuts a good third of the material.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
After being disappointed by the last two, I'm not really sure I'm gonna see this one in theaters.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yup I'm going to watch it. I have learned a while back a movie is most of the times not following the books in all aspects but the movies are amusing. I love the effects so yup I'm going :)

Djinn

and Tonic
Now we get to that fun part where random little images start leaking giving some hints of the plot.
Epstpoo.jpg

Interesting leaked image here shows off all of the nazgul with a bit more detail than I remember from the previous movies.
open the image in a new tab to see a much larger more detailed version

D

Deleted member 14134

For some reason I keep thinking that they're breaking the last movie up into two parts. Must just be getting too used to that trend. Also they have about 60 pages from the book to work with. I wonder how much farther they'll stray from the actual story.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I just rewatched the Hobbit movies for the first time since seeing them in theatres, and I realized that I like them more when I don't watch LotR beforehand. When I saw them in theatres, I watched the entire LotR trilogy first both times, and was disappointed with the quality of the films compared to the classic trilogy. However, watching them independently, I realize that they are indeed great films when not overshadowed by their sequels. So, I do enjoy them and I look forward to the conclusion.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I just finished reading all the core canon books in anticipation for this movie. One month ago today I began reading The Hobbit and since then I've finished it and the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion. I cannot wait for this movie so I've had to indulge in the source materials. I absolutely loved the first two movies and I'm really looking forward to this one.

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's originals, and this latest read through has solidified in me the fact that I enjoy the books even more than I do the movies, but I still absolutely love the 5 movies and they hold a special place in my heart. Tolkien purists get upset at Jackson's adaptations, but I think it's unfounded. Jackson's movies are not meant to be translations of all the philosophy, themes, and content of Tolkien's work, rather adaptations of his work to film, which is far more limited. The result is a unique version of the stories and I think they should be judged on their own in isolation. For me they are extremely well made masterpieces of epic and high fantasy and they hands down dwarf all other competition in their genre in the history of the film industry. Fantastic acting, amazing special effects, beautiful music, and plots that are epic as hell with a pretty faithful capturing of Tolkien's intended themes and tones.

I'm most looking forward to the conclusion of the stuff going on at Dol Guldur in this third movie. Throughout the trilogy I've really been most impressed with the stuff dealing with the White Council and the Necromancer. I better get to see some epic wizard fights in this one. After the Gandalf vs. Necromancer fight in Hobbit 2 I've got my hopes up.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Djinn said:
I don't know what is with the bats, I don't remember the story having bats.

“Halt!” cried Gandalf, who appeared suddenly, and stood alone, with arms uplifted, between the advancing dwarves and the ranks awaiting them. “Halt!” he called in a voice like thunder, and his staff blazed forth with a flash like the lightning. “Dread has come upon you all! Alas! it has come more swiftly than I guessed. The Goblins are upon you! Bolg of the North is coming, O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria. Behold! the bats are above his army like a sea of locusts. They ride upon wolves and Wargs are in their train!” - The Hobbit; Chapter 17, Pg. 255.

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
Some potential spoilers from the visual companion that came out this week.

• Goblins may appear in The Battle of Five Armies? The book talks about the Goblins of the Misty Mountains hating the sun and needing manufactured night if they are to fight.
  • Different types of trolls that appear in The Battle of Five Armies: Snow Trolls (only before seen in a Lord of the Rings video game), Cave Trolls, and Olog-hai.
  • Thranduil designed the necklace of gems that the dwarves withhold for his wife, and ‘in his mind it was the last thing he owned that reminded him of his dead wife’.
  • Tauriel leaves the dwarves on the shores of the lake, to join Legolas on ‘urgent business in the North’. [Analysis: so is that actually Bard's white horse riding away from Erebor in the trailer, rather than Tauriel's?]
  • Sauron is ‘keeping his prisoner [Gandalf] alive to seek out the truth as to who holds the three Elven Rings of power’.
  • Thorin believes one of the company of dwarves has stolen the Arkenstone.
  • Bolg is referred to as ‘the spawn of Azog the Defiler’. This may be the first PJverse confirmation that, as in the book, Bolg is Azog’s son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom