• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hero's Shade.

Ok, I know there is a similar thread already posted here. But that one deals with the Hero's Shade in relation to the protagonist Link. Here I would like to here other theories as to who this mysterious warrior could be.

The generally accepted theory is that the (HS) is the spirit of The Hero of Time. I admit that there are some things that might imply this. But I also think that there are other possibilities. All of the arguments I have seen seem rather vague.

I lean toward the idea that (HS) is himself or a descendant of Swiftblade the First from Minish Cap. I have stated that i believe Minish Cap is the earliest historical Zelda game. Though I place Four Swords significantly later. But one cannot argue that the similarities are glaring.

Both characters are pivotal in their respective games for teaching our hero techniques to aid him on his quest. The techniques taught in both games are similar.... ie SPIN ATTACK and GEAT SPIN. And of course, both characters are ghosts! IS it difinitive? No. But I don't know about the whole Hero of Time thing either. Here are the quotes from (HS)

1. "A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage. You may be destined to become the hero of legend...but your current power would disgrace the proud green of the hero's tunic you wear. You must use your courage to seek power...and find it you must. Only then will you become the hero for whom this world despairs."
  2. "Those are for only for the one who carries the blood of the hero...the one whose spirit is that of the sublime beast."
  3. "You have at last mastered all of the hidden skills. Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those who came after. At last, I have eased those regrets. You who have marched through countless foes, each mightier then the last... You who now gaze to the future with vision unclouded... Surely you can restore Hyrule to its stature of yore as the chosen land of the gods. ...Farwell!"
  4. "Go and do not falter, my child!"

1. Here (HS) is not necessarily refering to himself. It has been established that the green tunic is the traditional garb of alll of Hyrules hero's. The Shade cuold be making a general statement of Link's wothiness to stand among those great heros.
  2. Even assuming that the hero's bloodline means direct descent from OoT Link, (HS) is not necessarily impling that he is a mamber of said bloodline. In MC Link learned his techniques from the Blade Brothers though they were never implied to be related to him.
  3. Again necessarily saying "I was the Hero of Time", just "I tried to be a hero." While this quote is in my opinion a fair argument for the HoT theory, I don't think it is conclusive.
  4. Here is my problem. Everyone seems to point to 'my child' as an implecation of familial relation between the two. But 'my child' is, or was, a fairly common way for a persons elders or teachers to refer to them. this could be a fairly literal translation of a similar sautation from the Japanese.
Well, that is about it. I'd love to here what you think. And if you have a theory please feel free to post it.

L8R:)

T

Tatlfaerie

You have some good points; truthfully I have not heard of the Hero's Shade being the Hero of Time. I think it makes more sense for him to be related to Swiftblade somehow. If he was the Hero of Time then how would he end up looking like that?

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
The theory about him being the guy I stole my name from is actually a really good one, and would make a lot more sense than him being the Hero of Time. Though the Hero of Time theory makes sense, it is also illogical. As far as we know it, the Hero of Time did not know any of those techniques. Also, as far as we know, Twilight Princess takes place on the child end of the timeline, where the Hero of Time doesn't exist. Given he could be the spirit of the younger Link grown up, but we don't know [strike]much[/strike] anything about him past Majora's Mask. It's assumed that he never returned to Hyrule. This sparks ideas for a whole new theory, which is for another thread. Swiftblade, on the other hand, may exist in both timelines. That part is unclear, since we do not know where the Minish Cap fits. It could be the first, but that is only based on a few facts, facts for another thread. In short, it would make more sense to him to be somehow related to Swiftblade, since he knows all of those hidden moves.

Last edited:

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
The theory about him being the guy I stole my name from is actually a really good one, and would make a lot more sense than him being the Hero of Time. Though the Hero of Time theory makes sense, it is also illogical. As far as we know it, the Hero of Time did not know any of those techniques. Also, as far as we know, Twilight Princess takes place on the child end of the timeline, where the Hero of Time doesn't exist. Swiftblade, on the other hand, may exist in both. That part is unclear, since we do not know where the Minish Cap fits. It could be the first, but that is only based on a few facts, facts for another thread. In short, it would make more sense to him to be somehow related to Swiftblade, since he knows all of those hidden moves.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why doesn't the hero of time exist on the child time line? He would die on the child timeline because zelda sent him back there.

I believe hero's shade is the hero of time, but I think you've covered that pretty well. I'm not sure about swiftblade because I've never played the minish cap and don't know a lot about it but it does sound like a pretty fair possibility.
Co

The Hero of Time does exist in the child timeline. Whether he would be known as such in a timeline where few people know of his adventures is debatable. I don't think it matters though. It could be that the shade is the HoT and it wouldn't surprise me. My theory is based mainly on the similar roles each character plays in the series.

The Hero of Time does exist in the child timeline. Whether he would be known as such in a timeline where few people know of his adventures is debatable.

Even if the people knew of him, that wouldn't make him the Hero of Time as he was in the Adult Timeline. Link could have told Zelda that he went through time, became the Hero of Time, and then it could have possibly been passed down as legend. But in this timeline, Link as the Hero of Time did not exist. Link from OoT never pulled the Master Sword from its pedestal.

I used to think that the Hero's Shade was the Hero of Time though, without considering all of this timeline, logical nonsense. But its really hard to say. The Hero's Shade has a personality, and the Hero of Time really didn't. He was pretty neutral all of the time since the Hero is always "supposed" to be the player. That's the major reason I doubt that he is the Hero of Time, along with the fact that Adult Link did not exist in the CT.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
DarkLink01 makes a good point when he states that in the CT, Adult Link as we know him wouldn't exist. Of course, OoT!Link would grow up (assuming he doesn't die or something right after MM), but he'd never become the Hero of Time.

So, what bugs me about the Hero's Shade is when he says, "Those are for only for the one who carries the blood of the hero...the one whose spirit is that of the sublime beast." Carrying the blood of the hero does not mean that "the hero" was OoT!Link. It could be a different Link between OoT and TP for all we know. OR, as we know from ALttP, the heroes (Links) chosen by destiny are of the Knights of Hyrule's bloodline. Doesn't mean they are all related, oh no, but the KoH could have been thousands and thousands of soldiers, making it very possible for each Link to have that KoH blood without ever being related. So perhaps "blood of the hero" means the KoH blood.

At the same time, for all we know, maybe the Hero's Shade is related to TP!Link. Maybe the war mentioned in TP (we don't have an actual placement, keep that in mind) involved somebody who TP!Link could have descended from. The HS looks more like a soldier... but that could just be something to do with philosophy rather than actual appearance. But, if the design is made to be like that for a purpose, it'd make it more believeable that the HS was a solider- a hero, even- and possibly related to TP!Link, hence "the blood of the hero" being used.

Whether or not the HS is related to TP!Link, I highly doubt that he was the Hero of Time.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
DarkLink01 makes a good point when he states that in the CT, Adult Link as we know him wouldn't exist. Of course, OoT!Link would grow up (assuming he doesn't die or something right after MM), but he'd never become the Hero of Time.

So, what bugs me about the Hero's Shade is when he says, "Those are for only for the one who carries the blood of the hero...the one whose spirit is that of the sublime beast." Carrying the blood of the hero does not mean that "the hero" was OoT!Link. It could be a different Link between OoT and TP for all we know. OR, as we know from ALttP, the heroes (Links) chosen by destiny are of the Knights of Hyrule's bloodline. Doesn't mean they are all related, oh no, but the KoH could have been thousands and thousands of soldiers, making it very possible for each Link to have that KoH blood without ever being related. So perhaps "blood of the hero" means the KoH blood.

At the same time, for all we know, maybe the Hero's Shade is related to TP!Link. Maybe the war mentioned in TP (we don't have an actual placement, keep that in mind) involved somebody who TP!Link could have descended from. The HS looks more like a soldier... but that could just be something to do with philosophy rather than actual appearance. But, if the design is made to be like that for a purpose, it'd make it more believeable that the HS was a solider- a hero, even- and possibly related to TP!Link, hence "the blood of the hero" being used.

Whether or not the HS is related to TP!Link, I highly doubt that he was the Hero of Time.

I do believe that the HS is, somehow, OoT's Link.
Look, even though he did NOT became the Hero of Time, OoT Link could still had became a hero.
He saved termina, for example, maybe he became a hero for other similar deeds.
The HS doesn't look like any of the Swiftblades, and I don't remember anywhere in MC ever being said that the Swiftblade's were ever heroes

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
I do believe that the HS is, somehow, OoT's Link.
Look, even though he did NOT became the Hero of Time, OoT Link could still had became a hero.
He saved termina, for example, maybe he became a hero for other similar deeds.
The HS doesn't look like any of the Swiftblades, and I don't remember anywhere in MC ever being said that the Swiftblade's were ever heroes
About link becoming a hero, he knew he was the hero of time, because how else would he know not to pull the master sword? He also saved termina from a falling moon as you said, if that doesn't make someone a hero, what would? I don't think the timeline really makes a difference since we know link died on the child timeline, and twilight princess is on the child timeline, it shouldn't really change whether the hero's shade is the hero of time or not.

Just because it didn't say they were heroes doesn't mean they weren't. If they were able to master those techniques they had to be 'heroic' though they may never have actually done much. And aside from a slight similarity in the sword's blade and vague, possibly Shieka signs on his armor, the HS doesn't look like HoT either. In any case I feel that if HS is not Swiftblade, he is a similar type of character.

And an item of support for the HS is OoT link croud, the Hero's Shade could be Link even if he wasn't the hero of time. The shade said he chose the life of a hero, not that others thought that he was. OoT Link was a hero even if he never got the monicur Hero of Time. The shade never said anything about what Hyrule thought of him, just that he did heroic things.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
One more thing. The hero's shade uses his left hand (on gamecube). Isn't that good evidence that he's oot link?

Maybe... If you go with only the Links in the whole history of Hyrule are left handed then it may. Though In the upcoming Wii title canon Link will most likely be right-handed. It could be that they made the shade left-handed as symmetry. But who knows.... the next game will probably tell me I'm wrong.

Immortal_One

Math is power.
I have to agree with the notion that the Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time, or Adult Link from OoT. One reason is because he always said things pertaining to the "Hero's bloodline" and he always stressed the importance of matching The Hero's greatness. The other thing that struck me was that the HS is the only other left handed character in the entire Zelda series. And we all know that it's the hero garbed in green that wields the blade of evil's bane with his left hand.

My only debates are that, A.) just because the shade talks about 'matching the hero' doesn't mean that HE is the hero. and B.) As I said future Wii Link's will probably be right handed. Left handed will no longer be the benchmark. But isn't it possible that other's in Hyrule are left handed but not necessarily play into the story? Or maybe all left handed boys in Hyrule are named Link on purpose... who knows.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I have to agree with the notion that the Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time, or Adult Link from OoT. One reason is because he always said things pertaining to the "Hero's bloodline" and he always stressed the importance of matching The Hero's greatness. The other thing that struck me was that the HS is the only other left handed character in the entire Zelda series. And we all know that it's the hero garbed in green that wields the blade of evil's bane with his left hand.

It cannot be the Ault Link from OoT because TP is on the Child Timeline, in wich he never became the hero of time.
Being left handed may prove nothing, but it is seriously weird.
Also, even though a bit off-topic, but, at the same time, serving as an example, in the Goron Mines, one of the Elders says that the Bow was used by a great hero of the past, and, that one is clearly NOT the fairy bow or whatever it was called in OoT.
In wich way does this help the thread?
To prove that there are more heroes besides Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom