• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hero of Time & the Hero's Shade

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Maybe I shouldn't come back to this after it being buried a few days, but I've been away. Anyway, I've been playing Ocarina of Time 3D: Master Quest lately, and I just came to the point where Link enters the Sacred Realm for the first time after pulling out the Master Sword. Rauru tells Link, "Only one worthy of the title of 'Hero of Time' can pull it from the Pedestal of Time…." Of course Nintendo wasn't planning on making Skyward Sword at the time of making Ocarina of Time, but to me this sounds like the title Hero of Time already existed, and Link needed to be older to earn it. The Master Sword was locked in the Pedestal of Time ever since Skyward Sword, and the only one worthy of wielding it had to resemble its former master—SS:Link. Through this, OoT:Link would become worthy of being the Hero of Time.

A little bit later, Sheik tells Link, "You really do look like the Hero of Time." This wording is just awkward unless there is a previous Hero of Time like whom Link could look.
The title already existed because it was prophesied. For example, prophets had long forseen the coming of the messiah. Jesus fit that description so he was "worthy" of the title. One could even say he "looks like the messiah."

I agree that those two quotes are a bit awkward, but they do not outright contradict the notion expressed through several other quotes that the title is legendary because it describes a future (present, now) event - not because of an event that has already happened.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Smoore, surrender here, SS Link just isn't the hero of time, or a hero of time for that matter, remember

"never twist facts to adjust to the theories" partial quote from Sherlock Holmes

Smoore

The Rational Theist
You have a good point, Locke. I hadn't looked at it that way.

According to your chart comparing SS Link to OoT Link, I think that's exactly what your saying.

Then you think wrong.

Smoore, surrender here, SS Link just isn't the hero of time, or a hero of time for that matter, remember

"never twist facts to adjust to the theories" partial quote from Sherlock Holmes

So does Hyrule Historia kill all theorizing? I have said time and again that I know *officially* the Hero's Shade is OoT:Link. I'm just tossing around a what-if scenario like fans used to be free to do.

Then you think wrong.

I know I can't be the only one thinking wrong here. ;)

I have said time and again that I know *officially* the Hero's Shade is OoT:Link.

Then why twist the facts if you know the facts *officially*? You can't hold an apple and go "I know this is an apple but I'll have my own theory and say it's a watermelon".

I'm just tossing around a what-if scenario like fans used to be free to do.

This isn't a what-if scenario. Your not asking what if SS Link is the Hero of Time. Your saying that "SS Link is the most likely candidate for the Hero of Time, oh but I know that OoT Link is officially the Hero of Time".

Please.

Last edited:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
So does Hyrule Historia kill all theorizing? I have said time and again that I know *officially* the Hero's Shade is OoT:Link. I'm just tossing around a what-if scenario like fans used to be free to do.

No it doesn't, look at allegories in architecture for example, that wouldn't be possible without an official timeline, it doesn't kill theorizing, but we can't theorize about the same things anymore, namely, we can't theorize while ignoring HH now

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's pretty arrogant to go against Hyrule Historia, especially when there's next to no evidence for SS Link being the Hero's Shade. I mean, he has two of the Hidden Skills. Big whoop. Any swordsman could use those skills. Idk what you're talking about with the Backslice and Mortal Draw. Those are are NOT in the game. Plus, the fact that the Hidden Skills were written in AFTER OoT makes the fact that OoT Link not having them useless. Oh, but the thing is, he DOES have one of them. The Great Spin. It's the Magic Spin Attack. Come on, dude, pay attention.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
You sound like you are saying that the Hyrule Historia is not Canon. It IS the Canon! It is confirmed that Ocarina of Time Link IS the Hero's Shade. Ocarina of Time Link is called "The Hero of Time" and is also called the "Hero in Time" in the backstory for Wind Waker. Skyward Sword Link is never actually given the title "Hero of Time". But seriously, the Hyrule Historia directly tells us this.

Other problems with your statement include are: The Hyrule Historia ALLUDES to the fact that the Ocarina of Time RESEMBLES the Timeshift Stones in color. It in no way CONFIRMS or DENIES that it is made out out of the Same Material. It just says "Hey look at this and theorize!". Although it MAY be the case, you cannot just say that it is.
Lastly, Skyward Sword Link CANNOT use the Mortal Draw in ANY way. I believe that you are thinking of the Jump Attack. He can also not do the Back-Slice. Skyward Sword Link can only do the Shield Bash, Ending Blow, and ALMOST the Helm Splitter.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Everyone is dumping on you for your theory, but guess what? I think it makes a lot more sense than the HH and I am even inclined to agree with you. The only problem is that Hero's Shade is OoT Link because OoT Link is the Hero of Time. But disregarding titles alone, I totally agree that it would make more sense for Hero's Shade to be SS Link. I kind of think too much store is set in the HH, because even though it is official, people have to remember the games are fictional and are therefore open to interpretation and there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with it. I mean, it's not like we're discussing scientific fact here, we're talking about something which is as subjective as an opinion. Personally, I look at the HH as part of the game. As in, it is supposed to read like realism, and in real life, fact is lost over history, details are confused, etc. I believe the HH is supposed to be a rough outline more than some kind of rulebook. Like a historical document, which would be tainted by the school of thought the historian belongs to.

*** Also, I just thought I'd add, I'm not saying OoT Link isn't the Hero of Time and I don't think that is what Smoore was saying either. I thought the title 'Hero of Time' could've fallen to anyone who did what Link did. So, it may not be entirely unique or belong to OoT Link, but anyone who filled his shoes. For example how the title of Lord passes down from father to son or whatever. As in, the Master Sword or Ocarina 'appoint' the title. I don't think this makes much sense the way I'm explaining it, but yeah.

Last edited:

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
Hyrule hystoria is law.
You cant say SS link is the hero of time.
Using your logic, Wind waker link is the hero of time, because he travels downwards under the ocean somewhere close to the temple of time.
It just doesnt work this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom