• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hero Of....: Poor or Lucky Fate?

The Hero Of.....: Poor or Lucky Fate?

• Yes my Princess. It's an honour for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well..... If no other is there to fulfill this task

• Hello No! My fate is the Sheep Herding

• Total voters

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
linkart.jpg

I've decided to start a poll. My first poll. And it is a topic, which bothers me for quite a time now.
It's about Link. Also called Hero of Time, Hero of Winds, Hero of Men and so on.

So, what do you think about the fate of Link? For me, he is some really brave, but poor guy. Maybe it is his determined fate, but the whole Society of Hyrule relies on him. The destiny of the world depends on him. Carrying tons of items, facing scary monsters, forced to listen to strange Islamic Chants, exploring unknown dungeons and at least, facing Ganondorf. Traveling back and forth in time. Get lost in the Lost Woods. Transformed into a Wolf. I could name much more things, but that's pointless, you should already know what I mean.

Did you ever feel sympathy for Link? I mean, he hasn't much of a choice. The Great Deku Tree asks him in Ocarina of Time. You could answer with yes or no. But, C'mon, he is already forced to start his adventure. And yes, I do feel sympathy for him. He does give his best for people he never met before.

What about you? Did you feel the same, or is it more something like a Call of Duty for you? Something you would love to do. Saving Hyrule, a beautiful Princess and the whole world?
I think, I may decline. Maybe I'm a coward, but such an adventure is way to scary for me. I'm not kidding. I would get lost in every Dungeon. Unable to solve any puzzle. And there will be no Mases or Caleb who could save me. Damn.

Last edited:

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Yeah, I feel like there are some perks, but really, saving Hyrule can be a chore. It's unfortunate that he doesn't have a choice in the matter, but I tend to think that he would take on the duty if given a choice, if there wasn't anyone else to do it. So, I put the second option, the kind of grudging acceptance.

As much as I would love to go an an epic adventure and save the Princess and the world and become a hero, I would probably decline because I would freak out, like UnluckyMonkey said.

However, if someone like the Great Deku Tree is telling you that it is your fate and duty to save Hyrule, then I would believe that fate is on my side and take on the task of saving the world. So I guess I would chose the second choice. If there is no other person willing to be the hero and all signs are pointing to you being the chosen one that will save the land, I would accept, and just hope the goddesses are on my side.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinging about declining such a request.

And it dosen't look like it, but this Thread is about to 75% serious :D
But I have to admit, there is an sarcastic aspect :)

And most of the time he doesn't even get a kiss! Even Mario gets that!

It happened behind a curtain, but I think the ancient Princess Zelda from The Adventure of Link kissed him at the end. But you're right. He never get's the girl at the end :D

Pen

The game is on!
Yes my Princess, it's an honour for me! I would at least take on the challenge, then we'll see how it turns out... It would take a while though! :D

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I do feel sorry for Link sometimes, he does go through a lot in each game. And no, he doesn’t seem to have much choice at first, however I’ve always felt it was in his personality to choose to accept the duty anyway. (Barring the whole Link being the player thing and all of course, since the player might not want have that kind of personality. :P)

Though he doesn’t really seek it out at the beginning of most games, he does accept his duty even after I think he could technically have walked away. For example, Link was journeying because he was training to improve his skills at the beginning of LA. I think he could have chosen to retire and live a peaceful life after the events of ALttP, (or whatever game it does come after.) He goes on a journey to train and enlighten himself, when he could have remained at home. It may have been a thing partly driven by a love for adventure as well.

Another example that comes to my mind is in MM. I think he might have been able to make his way back to Hyrule after regaining his form, or after getting Epona back. Of course there are a lot of details we don't know, like if the way back to Hyrule was even there during the three days, but Link could have tried to find his way back after that if he wanted to, then if he couldn't get out in time he could have played the song of time. (Given that it would still work after him trying to run away from his duty, but he might assume that it would.) Yet he stuck around, trying to stop the moon from falling.

As for myself, I’d only volunteer to go on such a venture if I had no other major responsibilities and/or I was the only one or something. Mostly because I suspect I’d fail horribly, and failing wouldn’t do anyone any good. I’m not exactly athletically inclined, I think I’d stand a good chance of being killed fighting some of the weaker monsters for sure.

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
Yeah, I do feel sorry for Link sometimes...I mean, having to save the world, pretty much alone? (minus his 'companions') that must kinda suck...but, I probably wouldn't do it, unless i had to because no one else will...but, then again, it might be fun, :)

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
There needs to be some romance between Zelda and Link! C'mon! Give him a better REASON to save her!

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I find that usually Link doesn't get told he is destined to do something, at least not right away, usually Link sets out on his quest because evil has taken friends or family, or it effected him in some other way, wouldn't you take up a sword against the evil that has ruined your life? It is later that Link is told it is his destiny to slay the evil of the land, and I personally would be happy to finish off the evils that have caused such pain to me and/or the world.

There needs to be some romance between Zelda and Link! C'mon! Give him a better REASON to save her!

He saves her to prevent the world from being plunged into darkness for all eternity, one would think that would be reason enough.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
The thing is that although Link is almost always forced to save Hyrule, it is his good nature that encourages him to carry on. A lot of the time, the tales of his hard work are forgotten (depending on the split timeline) and other times he is truly recognized as a Hero. I don't think he feels that his adventure is a burden because he does what he does to ensure that the people he cares for aren't hurt. Sure his adventure can be discouraging because of the many dangers, but he always pulls through. Plus he has many people on his side such as his sidekicks, various deities (ex. Faron), close friends (Ilia, Zelda, Malon) and many others that help him and encourage him to pull through. I don't feel that he has poor luck because he is one of the most brave characters in video game history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom