• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds The Green Meter : What Should It Govern?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm hoping it will be a magic meter.

Same. I've been waiting YEARS (literally years) for the beautiful green bar to come back in all of its glory, not with that damned tackiness that the Stamina Bar in Skyward presented. But, for all that I've seen, it's a stamina bar with implementations of the Bow; perhaps it functions like the Rupees did in Legend of Zelda, just with automatic recharge.

Not a bad shart considering staying scrunched up in a paper format would be strenuous.

:I gei

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Well in Alttp it limited your use of the optional items more then required ones. Like the ice rod and the medallions, and they were quite powerful.

this is what i think the magic meter should have and always should be about. too keep you from spamming you more powerful weapons. like the ice rod and medallions. and special arrows.

TWW had Magic drops CONSTANTLY where as AoL... They didnt exists. my point being that the magic meter gradually became less effective in Zelda games over time

the whole "mix between magic and stamina" i dont like the idea, but it is what it is i guess and ill deal with whatever i get, however so far ive seen that meter be used for some pretty dumb things, then again it was just a demo of what Nintendo had done so far, will it be there for stamina by the time it comes out... Most likely. but it'll be alright!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
We don't need overpowered weapons. We need fun weapons. This was an issue with Wind Waker, mostly towards the end, and aLttP throughout the game: Link was an invincible God. The only thing that kept me from actually using the medallions was my annoyance with constantly seeing the animation when I used it.

ILU

i luv u
I love the magic meter and I wish it would return. Right now though, it isn't necessary. In order for it to return, it'd need to be put to good use, which would mean reintroducing magic to Zelda through spells and items. Which, IMO, Zelda feels better with magic stuff anyway, so bring that stuff back.

The abundance of magic refills isn't the fault of the magic meter, it's the fault of lazy calculations. If they put more effort into the variables that effect drop rates and usage, it could be quite enjoyable.

Now, I do like stamina, but I did NOT like the stamina meter because it felt like more if a handicap than anything. I'm a fat slob that dies after climbing one flight of stairs, but I feel like I could out-perform Skyward Sword Link any day.

I think stamina SHOULD be included, but it doesn't require a meter. Plenty of games put some level of stamina in their gameplay without a meter just fine. Have Link start slowing down and panting after a while, but don't show a meter. Have his arms become weak if he swings his sword too much or if he's using heavier weaponry.

The player will become used to the items affects and their character's stamina subconsciously, and it feels more like second nature that way. Displaying a stamina meter- especially a wimpy one- just makes us focus on our avatar's weaknesses and distracts from the fun parts of gameplay.

Man, I really hate stamina bars. :| I understand that they want to limit the player from runningspamming certain moves, but give me magic and a magic bar instead.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
im with blue star its Different when your spamming an OP weapon that just Murders everyone and you loose magic, but when you are loosing stamina, you loosing stamina for things like has ALWAYS been able to do without Penalty

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
but when you are loosing stamina, you loosing stamina for things like has ALWAYS been able to do without Penalty

Yeah, I'll admit they don't need to add it to crap like rolling, climbing, or spin attacks, but it seems fine with running, arrows, etc.

Thing is, compare a stamina meter and magic meter in running.

Stamina meter: Run...stop....replenish...run.

Magic meter: Run...stop...go out of your way to those jars...break them...replenish...run...find a puzzle you need magic for, but now you can't do it because you wasted it all running.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I personally wish they would do away with stamina meters completely. It's fine in the wii format but I think on 3DS it will suck. I preferred the magic metre. If we have to have a stamina meter however, I would rather it didn't affect item use. I understand the dash but too many limitations will just put people off... I know it will put me off, anyway. I also don't agree with it in spin attack. Spin attack's if anything should use magic, like in OoT, which gave it an extra boost.

It really didn't bother me any trying to find magic pots. Cut some grass, break some rocks or pots or go to the Great Fairy, it takes like 2 seconds and is a lot less frustrating than say, all the running uphill in Eldin Volcano in Skyward Sword and running out of stamina at a crucial point and sliding all the way down because you have no fruit nearby. Just saying.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Magic meter: Run...stop...go out of your way to those jars...break them...replenish...run...find a puzzle you need magic for, but now you can't do it because you wasted it all running.
this is what im talkin about, it should be a magic meter, where it only effect magic items that are OP!, things like running, spin attack, rolling (if in the game) Physical things, should not effect the bar, finding jar to replenish you stamina is just silly. thats what im getting at. the whole stamina concept needs scrapped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom