• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Great Deku Tree in the Original LOZ Game?

In OOT their are 3 Endings one is know as the Decline Era were link looses his Fight with Ganon and if you follow this time line the Original Zelda game takes place. Now the 1st Dongeon the entrance is a Tree that has what apears as Eyes. Is it posible that this is the remains of the Great Deku tree? Their are some facts that can suports this.

1) in OOT the Great Deku tree Dies.

2) its in the Decline Era time line were the original game takes Place.

3) In the time line Order of the games the original Ledgend of Zelda Game takes place after OOT in the Future, so it would make sence that the remains of the Great Deku tree is nothing more then a Rotting stump.

4) the Stump has Eyes and the entrance looks like a mouth.

5) its in what looks like a Dead Forest.

Now i know this may be a Corinsedence Because Nintendo did not have OOT in mind at the time. But seeing how these games come together is it possible that this is the Future remains of the Great Deku Tree?

NOTE: this is not my original theory, you can see the theory in " did you know in gameing" ( look at the comments for the link)

Last edited:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
You should also say, this is not your own theory. It's part of the new "Did you know Gaming?"

[video=youtube;6o6VOBZRWPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6VOBZRWPc&feature=g-all-u[/video]

I also want so start a thread about the Deku Tree after watching the video. It's really an interesting theory. And, by the way, the Era of Decline is one of the greatest eras in The Legend of Zelda. Let's see in which direction this era will go in future games.

For theorists, this is, after Hyrule Historia, a new "snack".

Last edited:
I read your theory and watched the video provided courtesy of Unlucky Monkey and there definitely are so uncanny resemblances between the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time and the dungeon from the NES original you are referring to. It's unlikely Nintendo thought of this in hindsight, however, you never know. As the same video showcases, on the Adult Era timeline the deku sprout flourishes into the tree we see in The Wind Waker. The time gap between OoT and TWW (in terms of developments years) is five years whereas that between TLoZ and OoT is 13. Who knows? Maybe Nintendo actually had this all worked out ahead of time just like the master timeline finally revealed with the dawn of the Hyrule Historia.

I think you probably have it backwards. I doubt Nintendo had this planned out more than twelve years ahead of time; what most likely happened is that they based the Great Deku Tree's model on that of the first dungeon of The Legend of Zelda. It could be the other way around as you suggest, but you have to take into account that Ocarina of Time was originally a remake of A Link to the Past, so the plot and characters of the game were probably not created until after the switch was made into making it its own game a few years before Ocarina of Time was released. Also note that almost all (or perhaps all, I haven't completed the game) the entrances to the dungeons in The Legend of Zelda have the appearance of a face with the entrance itself being a mouth; and furthermore, the Great Deku Tree isn't even the only dungeon in Ocarina of Time like this: the entrance to Jabu-Jabu's Belly is also a mouth. Overall, it's an interesting connection between the two games, but I think it's a homage to the original The Legend of Zelda at the most.

Djinn

and Tonic
I also would have assumed the Great Deku tree dungeon to be more of a homage to the original Lev1 dungeon of LoZ. A beginner newbie dungeon placed underneath a large tree. But the similarities would end there. I would not consider the tree stump of LoZ to be the Deku tree at all for a variety of reasons. First of all it is on a tiny island within a large lake very far north and east of the Lost Woods. Not to mention that this game takes place many centuries after the events of OoT and even ALTTP. Several centuries is enough time for many tree remains to whither away. Also there are a few various dungeons that can be found in the forest in LoZ that might fit into the same category. Lev 3 is much closer to the lost woods, lev 8 is also hidden underneath a tree, and lev7 in a tiny lake also near the lost woods. The island the dead tree appears on seems to be just a little too exposed for the Deku Tree that almost always remains hidden in any of his appearances.

Not to mention there are numerous examples of various small islands in the lakes in Hyrule in other games. Some of which include familiar dead trees and caves that lead to small dungeons. Even some are directly above a water temple.
lake-hylia-2.jpg
ALttP012.png

Wind Waker also introduced the idea that there are many enclosures within large trees like the forest haven and forbidden woods. Both are contained inside large trees but neither are the actual Deku Tree. He resides within one as well. We have seen in a few other games that there are more large talking trees with faces upon them. The oracles had two Maku trees, another Deku Tree in Tingle's Rosey Rupeland, and many more friendly and unfriendly talking trees in ALTTP. So already trees with facial features are not too rare in and around Hyrule.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
While, yes this tree does have eyes, there are other trees in the original Zelda that also look like this. This and all of them are really just random trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom