• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Goron Race vs. The Great Sea

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
In The Wind Waker, we see that there are very few Gorons scattered throughout the islands who are merchants. They dress very differently from the Gorons in previous games, possibly due to the climate or they could be hiding from something.

So when we think of the Gorons, we imagine them to inhabit the harsh climates of a volcanic area. But in WW, the race who has colonized the one if not only volcanic area are the Ritos. How could this be? Were the Gorons and Ritos fighting at one point in time over territory? Or does this have something to do with Ganon?

What do you think happened to the Gorons during and after the period of the Great Flood?

Back in the day it took me a terribly long time to realise those merchants were Gorons...

In PH there's an island inhabited by Gorons where the race is seemingly doing fine, so the merchants may have just wanted to set sail as a business venture, it could be as simple as that.

However, before PH, i always assumed that the flood had nearly killed off the Gorons and the merchants were just the last survivors. I figured a heat/lava rock loving race wouldnt do well when the heavens opened to flood the world. Gorons probably cant swim (the best would probably be getting momentum, roll up like they do and skipping across the ocean like a pebble.... which wouldnt work)

I think the sudden flood either scattered and killed half of the race (aka the merchants) or they were fine on a high mountain and adapted without having to go into the water like the ones we see in PH that look fine.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There was to be a Goron island where everyone smoked tobacco called stovepipe isle as we can see in Hyrule historia yet WW was rushed and content was cut.

I don't think there is any real reason there weren't many Gorons in WW apart from the fact their territory just wasn't included in time.

Pen

The game is on!
In PH there's an island inhabited by Gorons where the race is seemingly doing fine, so the merchants may have just wanted to set sail as a business venture, it could be as simple as that.

But I don't think the world of the Ocean King in PH is the same world or dimension as the Great Sea. I'm pretty sure Link's adventures in PH takes place in a different dimension from Hyrule or a different world if you will. The same way as Termina is also an alternate dimension from Hyrule. After all, when Link and Tetra return to the Pirate Ship at the end of PH it was as if they had only been gone a few minutes to the other Pirates there. Because of this I don't think the Gorons we see in PH have anything to do with the Great Sea.

Anyway, I think most of the Gorons probably drowned in the Great Flood. We know from playing as a Goron in MM that Gorons cannot swim. And in the panic caused by the Great Flood, the few Gorons that did survive were scattered across the islands, leaving Death Mountain/Dragon Roost uninhabited until the Zoras settled there and eventually evolved into the Rito. That's the best I can come up with, and given the info we have, I think it makes sense.

^We know, however, from TP that Gorons are fine underwater, and can even breathe underwater, as there is one that lives at the bottom of Zora's domain when it unfreezes.

I think ST shows they just relocated and are absolutely fine.

I think it might be due to food supply... the islands in WW are probably too small for them to both live on and get food (rocks) from.
They'd either need to keep moving from island to island, find a large enough rocky island that could sustain them for a longer period of time (Goron Island), or find a volcanic island that could produce an endless supply of rock (Stovepipe Island).

Last edited:
But I don't think the world of the Ocean King in PH is the same world or dimension as the Great Sea. I'm pretty sure Link's adventures in PH takes place in a different dimension from Hyrule or a different world if you will. The same way as Termina is also an alternate dimension from Hyrule. After all, when Link and Tetra return to the Pirate Ship at the end of PH it was as if they had only been gone a few minutes to the other Pirates there. Because of this I don't think the Gorons we see in PH have anything to do with the Great Sea.

Anyway, I think most of the Gorons probably drowned in the Great Flood. We know from playing as a Goron in MM that Gorons cannot swim. And in the panic caused by the Great Flood, the few Gorons that did survive were scattered across the islands, leaving Death Mountain/Dragon Roost uninhabited until the Zoras settled there and eventually evolved into the Rito. That's the best I can come up with, and given the info we have, I think it makes sense.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot PH pulls that weird Termina style BS...

****ing hate PH man...

Reactions: Pen

Pen

The game is on!
I think ST shows they just relocated and are absolutely fine.

I don't know about others, but I always imagined that the new Hyrule we see in ST is really far away from the original Hyrule and the Great Sea of WW. Due to this I think the Gorons and most of the Hylians we see in ST are from that general area as opposed to being from Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom