• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Gap Between Dimensions - All Questions Answered

Alright, so I've seen maybe a few threads on the topic here on any Zelda fansite/reddit but none that go into too much detail. I went ahead and created another theory video about the Gap Between Dimensions. It's so mysterious because it's only ever mentioned once.

It's easy to say that Ganondorf was simply just using a figure of speech or it's some weird phrase that shouldn't be taken so literally, but that's no fun. Also, I think there's significant evidence that tells us otherwise.

What the Gap Between Dimensions is may be self-explanatory by the name, the space or perhaps 'purgatory-like' area between worlds in the Zelda series such as Termina, Lorule, the Dark World, etc. But I will venture to say that Ganondorf, when banishing Phantom Ganon to the Gap Between Dimensions, is specifically banishing him between Hyrule and Termina, whether or not he knew it.

It's possible that this was retconned in later, but retcon or not it's canon now I believe (just like the Defeated Timeline). First of all, you guys remember the twisty hallway from the intro to Majora's Mask? This simple yet conveluted hallway holds the point of no return. Link is now in Termina. Symbolically and literally, as the hallway contorts through space, Link enters the parallel world of Termina.

screenshot.jpg

Now where else do we see this in the Zelda series? There may be some obscure non-mainstream Zelda game that I'm missing that was released somewhere later, but I'm pretty sure there's only one other time we see this hallway. It's in Ocarina of Time, the Forest Temple. This was actually a pretty important mechanic that changed the order of the connected room Link walked into.

2796669_orig.jpg

This doesn't out right mean GAP BETWEEN DIMENSIONS = HYRULE/TERMINA, but I'd venture to say it's a pretty strong use of foreshadow. As I mention in the video, out of literally any other way to signify the final departure into this parallel world, the developers opted for a spiral hallway. Coincidence?

I think not.

The theme of the Forest Temple itself actually kind of circulates around this "gap between dimensions" Ganondorf talks about. After all the poe sisters mysteriously teleport between paintings, and Phantom Ganon rides through the paintings himself as if they were their own worlds.

But, these are really only underlying premonitions. The supporting structure to a building, but not the finish that coats the walls together. The real confirmation comes from a reference a few years down the road, and it has some eerie consequences.

Link meets Phantom Ganon again in the Wind Waker, this time in combat at the Forsaken Fortress. This makes sense as Ganondorf is present in this game as well. Some believe that the Phantom Ganon here is a different one, but even if that is so, there's something odd about his sword, at least

The sword, if not Phantom Ganon himself, was in Termina.

Let's take a look at it why don't we? There's a reason I can make such bold claims like this.

Here's a picture of Phantom Ganon's Sword from Wind Waker.

I'm sure most of you know that those glyphs on this sword is Hylian, from the Wind Waker. What does it translate to? Zubora Gabora, the names of the smiths from Termina. Why would their names be on the sword, unless they had worked with it themselves?

Extrapolating from this, the gap between Dimensions, with extent to Phantom Ganon, must have been between Hyrule and Termina. There would be no other way for him to have acquired those names on that sword. Remember that Zubora and Gabora are unique in Majora's Mask, unlike many other characters they don't actually have Hyrulian counterparts.

This is where things begin to get interesting. When we roll with this interpretation, that Phantom Ganon had to have been in Termina and that the gap must have been between those two respective dimensions, strange consequences unfold.

Since we find this confirmation in the Wind Waker, which takes place on the adult timeline, this means that either Termina exists in all timelines, or Phantom Ganon was able to jump between different timelines through this gap. Meaning, the gap between dimensions is not only a gap between space, but time as well.

RrX5Kcj.png

Possibility 1: Termina exists in both CT and AT. (picture taken from the video)

0vtvgVf.png

Possiblity 2: The Gap Between Dimensions also is a gap between time, as well.
Regardless, either possibility has big implications on the series. For the first one, if Termina is both in the CT and AT then this finally points to the parallel world being a real, tangible location. Not some purgatory or trip or metaphorical adventure that many try to paint it to be. Of course the developers have always said it's a real place, but being shown the concrete evidence and references through other games points to Termina being just as real as a place.

With respect to the second possibility, the gap between dimensions could be the explanation fans are looking for in the many "how's" of the series. How did Ganondorf get the Triforce of Power in Twilight Princess? How does Demise's hatred reincarnate through multiple timelines and eras? How does Ganondorf's hatred assimilate into Four Swords Adventures? By means of this gap, all of these secrets can have a legitimate explanation.

----

What do you all think? I hope I'm not too off the mark, after all it's just a theory but like I said the writing of Zubora Gabora seems to be a pretty stellar hint for me.

Anyway, if you enjoyed the theory please consider subscribing. These videos all take lots of work and I aspire to make top quality videos weekly!

I really dig this! I always wondered why we could never revisit that gap; thought it'd be cool to explore or go further into. I also wonder just how the hell Link rode out of the forest in the end considering he somehow had to pry open the closed door, navigate his way up through the giant tree trunk WITH EPONA, and get back to hyrule.

I really dig this! I always wondered why we could never revisit that gap; thought it'd be cool to explore or go further into. I also wonder just how the hell Link rode out of the forest in the end considering he somehow had to pry open the closed door, navigate his way up through the giant tree trunk WITH EPONA, and get back to hyrule.

Interesting point you bring. From the perspective of the player in Majora's Mask, the only way in to Termina seems to be through that one doorway, but I'd wager to say there are other ways outside of that corridor that are just never shown to the player. Furthermore, I'd venture to say that the entryway to Termina should surround it on all sides should it not?

It's a parallel world after all so there's bound to be another elaborate way to get through Termina. And, in my opinion, it would all be through the gap between dimensions. That entryway Link took in Majora's Mask may just be one facet of this overall interstice.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I enjoyed your video. I also watch Mackintyre's stuff so it was great you did a collab with him.

I would agree with the gap between dimensions being a gap in time also.

I think Termina on the Adult Timeline would have likely been destroyed by the moon. The happy mask salesman would have still been robbed in the woods but with no link who would have been in the chamber of sages for a seven year slumber and therefore unable to stop Skull Kid and Majora, Termina would have met its end in that timeline.

I think Termina on the Adult Timeline would have likely been destroyed by the moon. The happy mask salesman would have still been robbed in the woods but with no link who would have been in the chamber of sages for a seven year slumber and therefore unable to stop Skull Kid and Majora, Termina would have met its end in that timeline.

Interesting to think of it this way, perhaps then in this Adult Timeline as Hyrule fell to the evil of Ganondorf Termina fell to the evil of Majora through Skull Kid, both meeting a perilous end.

Not sure how I've missed the writings on that sword before -- seems like a pretty obvious link (no pun intended). Though much of this has been discussed before, the sword writing is definitely one of those concrete things that makes you wonder. Though we don't really have any other major Hyrulian counterparts that exhibit inanimate objects, I wonder if the sword itself could simply be considered the smiths' counterpart (rather than their signature being on the sword as is postulated)? Just another possibility to consider -- though one that still leaves many questions unanswered.

Not sure how I've missed the writings on that sword before -- seems like a pretty obvious link (no pun intended). Though much of this has been discussed before, the sword writing is definitely one of those concrete things that makes you wonder. Though we don't really have any other major Hyrulian counterparts that exhibit inanimate objects, I wonder if the sword itself could simply be considered the smiths' counterpart (rather than their signature being on the sword as is postulated)? Just another possibility to consider -- though one that still leaves many questions unanswered.

The one buzzkill may just be a shoutout from the developers, a la Majora's Mask in the ALBW shop, or the Skyward Sword painting in OoT 3DS, but when taken from a story perspective it really does open up pandora's box and led me to interpret the gap between dimensions the way I did.

I never really put that much thought into it, but I really did enjoy that line. The enscription on the sword really does it for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom