• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Game Awards 2019 Nominees - your opinions

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Nominated for Game of the Year aaaaare:

Control
Death Stranding
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Outer Worlds

What do you think?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I've only actually played one of these so my opinions may be unfair, but let's do this.

Control - I have no opinion on this one. Remedy are one of those devs that haven't made any games I outright dislike, but nothing they've made has ever really gripped me, so I basically ignored this game's existence.

Death Stranding - Ahahahaha. A friend of mine has been streaming this and it's such ****ing ****, lmao. The only entertainment value it has is if you play it with friends and make fun of it. It's so boring, it's so full with utter bull****, the vehicle physics are legit some of the worst I've ever seen, and the story is overwrought pretentious crap that boils down to "Be nice to people and work together, ok?" Kojima Cultists will praise it for years, but it's only value is montages of Norman Reedus falling in rivers.

Smash Bros - Not played but I'm sure it's great. Probably won't win but it deserves to be nominated if for no other reason than to recognise the work Sakurai has put into the franchise.

REmake2 - This would get my vote, but then it's the only game here I've played personally and it's part of my all-time favourite franchise. It is genuinely an incredible game, though.

Sekiro - No strong opinion. I've never played a From Soft game and games renown for being difficult aren't my cup of tea. I'm sure it's great, I'm just not into this kind of game and so have no opinion here.

The Outer Worlds - Another game that a friend streamed. We made a character together and went through making decisions that way. Look, Obsidian have made literally one game people don't **** on, and they only like it because Bethesda made a worse version of it so it shines by comparison. The Outer Worlds is Obsidian desperately trying to relive the 'glory' of New Vegas but they are bad writers and they have next to no imagination. Outer Worlds' whole old-timey aesthetic is an obvious attempt to capture some kind of old world charm like what Fallout has, but because it's not an organic part of the setting it serves only to show Obsidian for the hacks they are. This doesn't even deserve to get nominated. Another game elevated by cult-like adoration, this time for Daddy Obsidian.

I guess I should actually weigh in instead of complaining that a very deserving game got the shaft.

My vote would go for REmake2. RE2 is a stellar game and this is how you do a remake. I've loved my time with it so far, even if I did get munched due to clumsiness pretty early on.

Amazing visuals and even though they have absolutely nothing to do with it, there are some good mods out there for it too, right @Cfrock

Here are the official nominees

However what games do you think are the best in each category? Doesn't matter if your favourite is nominated or not. What do you think is the best this year?

Here is my list.

AR/VR - Beat Saber
Strategy - Wargroove
Sports - Dirt Rally 2.0
Music - Astral Chain
Role Playing - Outer Worlds
Performance - Laura Bailey
Ongoing game - Smash Bros Ultimate
Narative - Astral Chain
Multiplayer - Tetris 99
Mobile game - Sky Children of Light
Indie game - Outer Wilds
Games for impact - Gris
Game Direction - Death Stranding
Fresh Indie - Nomada Studio
Fighting game - Smash Bros Ultimate
Family game - Super Mario Maker 2
Audio Design - Astral Chain
Art Direction - Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Action Adventure - Astral Chain (I am saying the gamw awards put it in the wrong category)
Action Game - Astral Chain
Game of the Year - Smash Bros Ultimate

I like lists....

AR/VR - Beat Saber
Strategy - Fire Emblem Three Houses
Sports - Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020
Music - Astral Chain
Role Playing - Digimon Story Complete Ed.
Ongoing game - Super Smash bros Ultimate
Narrative - Astral Chain
Multiplayer - Super Smash bros Ultimate
Mobile game - N/A
Indie game - Untitled Goose Game
Games for impact - Gris
Game Direction - Astral Chain
Fresh Indie - Untitled Goose Game
Fighting game - Super Smash bros Ultimate
Family game - Super Smash bros Ultimate
Audio Design - Astral Chain
Art Direction - Gris
Action Adventure - Astral Chain
Action Game - Astral Chain
Game of the Year - Astral Chain

Last edited:
Out of the games nominated, I hope either Smash Ultimate or Resident Evil 2 take home Game of the Year. I think both games are labors of love towards long time fans, and they deserve all the recognition they get for creating full, beautifully crafted gaming experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom