• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Future of the Pokémon Franchise

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The Pokémon series currently consists of six generations, each one bringing new aspects into the series. Generation VI probably had the largest change so far, with the addition of full 3D battles, a new type, and several other new concepts that had never been seen before. I have yet to play the games, but they definitely seem like worthy additions to the franchise.

So... what's next? Is there really much else that they can do to the series now? My main question is what do you expect out of future games in the Pokémon series? What kind of things would you like to see that was not put into place with the most recent titles? When/if Generation VII comes along, what could they do that hasn't already been done? Feel free to discuss!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Same generic designs, same "new" region, same "new" Pokemon, and a new type every other gen is about as much as I'm expecting. The series isn't as malleable as I thought it could've been, aye.

Let's put some stock into the so-called spinoffs.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The standard RPG Pokemon game is highly successful, it's a formula which doesn't need that much of a change in order to progress, it's more about the subtleties.

However, how far can it keep going? Well if one asked that question in 1998 (release of Gen 1) then they probably couldn't have dreamed of this incredible run the franchise has been on. Fifteen years later and it's still as good, as successful, as addictive - in fact - even better in all of those aspects.

The entire franchise of Pokemon is huge, from the anime, to the games, to the toys, to even the trading card games - this franchise is much more than a game. That's why even the most subtle changes feel big; a new Pokemon gets the fan base speculating and excited. Obviously there has to be some changes, and there have been noticeable ones, but most have just been upgrades on previous features - this isn't necessarily bad, as I mentioned above.

I went off the series years ago, I know Pokemon isn't just directed at younger audiences but the whole franchise just didn't appeal to me anymore, I kind of grew past it which is a shame really. I also wasn't fond of the little progress the main game series was making, that was just me though, I can still see why all of the games are as successful as they are and why the series doesn't change all that much. I have to admit though, the new generation has seemed to have made a significant jump in visual design and gameplay.

---

Where next? Well more of the same really, online features could be implemented to have a friend join you in a online version of the actual world, train and cooperate together instead of against one another. I think it would be also nice to have a bigger game overall: more gyms, bigger towns, more to do and see etc. However, they should definitely stick to the formula which has made the series so successful.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
First off, I'd like to see maybe light or sound type added. Probably not for a while, but eventually anyways. Doing these type adds gives the game makes the game more interesting because you want to find out what new things it adds to the series. I know there's a problem with messing with the advantages chart, but personally that doesn't bother me much. Nintendo has done a good job of making each type have as close to the same advantage as another. It won't be PERFECT, but of course nothing is.

Another thing I'd like to see is different game-plot sequences. With the series, it has always been eight gyms with the elite four at the end with a champion. I don't have a problem with it, but I think they could do something different with this. It's just gotten too predictable. Maybe they could at least make the gyms not type oriented to make it so that not just one or two Pokémon could wipe out the gym leader's whole team.

...Eheh. Heheheheheh. HehehehehHAHAHAHAHAHH!! HAAAAAHAHAH -

...Ahem. Asking me this question is usually not wise if you don't want five or six pages of personal monologue. That being said, I will try to keep this as brief as possible.

Where do I see the Pokemon series going? Well, ten, twenty years from now, it'll probably still be here, and bigger than ever. Why stop a good thing, right? I doubt we'll see any big changes, especially not the changes I'm looking for in particular. I believe only a shift in directors or developers could have a shot at that, and I don't see that happening. For the most part, weak as Styrofoam-turd Pokemon will still stop you every three seconds for a pointless battle, the story will still be about a misguided organization that periodically gets in the way, steals candy from babies, and accidentally almost destroys the world, and battles with your friends will still involve more swapping Pokemon out than actual battling.

What do I want to see? Give me fifty pages to write on, and I can deliver virtually every juicy detail. To summarize, though, I want, I require, for there to be a deeper, more intricate story. Let's focus on an actual plot with developed characters and original concepts. Make the Gyms and Elite Four optional if you have to. Pokemon is entering adulthood now, and it's still telling overly-simple, repetitive, virtually-meaningless stories like it was still in video game childhood. We've grown up, Pokemon. It's time for you to do the same.

I also want pretty heavy changes to the battle system - no more random encounters, no more HM slaves, and make things a bit more complex and difficult. Most battles are won by spamming whichever attack works best, and as mentioned before, battling with friends sees little real fighting and a lot of swapping Pokemon out when one type spells trouble. Pokemon should still be approachable for the younger audience, but step things up a notch or seventeen for the older ones, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom