• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Future of the Article Members and the Past SB Members.

Austin

Austin
I've made a recent change due to the change of the shoutbox. I've removed the usergroup "USERS TO MOVE TO SB". This was an usergroup of members who made a post and rank qualification for shoutbox access. Once in this group, they got individually selected to be moved to the "SB USERS". Here they would have access to the shoutbox and the article staff. This is no longer true. Now we only have Article Users. As of now, there is no way to do a automatic promotion basis.

I'm trying to figure out if we want a automatic promotion system with possible combination with a selective system. We could have an automatic promotion that would move users to a new usergroup called "Users to move to Article". This would be similar to the old system explained above, and we can make minor changes. Another idea could be a nominations and voting system. This would be very similar to the Hylian Knight promotions. Finally, we could have an open application system. This would have users fill an application to join article staff and be voted/discussed. I'm very curious what you guys think.

On a side note. I want to do a new icon for Article people (similar to Administrators, Moderators, etc). I believe this icon will give some award or our article staff. As of now, we don't add article people to the staff. We do this because a person may only write one article, and we may get lots of new article users. However, I believe we need some sort of method to award our article users and keep them motivated. If we do agree with this route, I believe we'll need some sort of standards to receive and keep the icon.

I like the setup of having people apply. Have an application where they indicate their writing experience to some degree. And we can look over it, perhaps some of their previous work or just their posts and approve it or not. Furthermore, we could invite people in on the same basis, without them applying.

I definitely don't think we want just anyone to join, as then the Article Center could easily become clogged up with articles that are not even close to publishable and probably are un-editable as well.

As for the banner, I think that's definitely an idea. I'm not sure if it's something that should be given to just anyway, who's written only a single article, though. Perhaps only for multiple time writers or regulars? Maybe it doesn't matter either way, I dunno. Others can give their thoughts on that.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I know, I know. I'm new to the Article Center and the Private Boards, so just bare with me.

The Application idea seems to be the best option at this point in time. Unless you can find some way to have a system much like the "USERS TO MOVE TO SB"/"SB USERS" usergroups.

And as for the icon, as cool of an idea that is, is it really necessary? And if you DO decide to go through with the new icon, have it be awarded to members who have written at least one article AND gotten it published. ^^ That way the member not only gets his/her article posted, but they get an icon as well to show that they have had an article published. I'm out of ideas.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
OK, I have a fairly decent idea about how to view the Article Center. Perhaps when a person has X amount of rep and X amount of posts, they could view it. The reason why I say this is so that way when the people go to post articles, they are already at a high caliber for writing quality as proven in the reputation, and they perhaps know quite a few facts, as seen in X amount of posts.

I'm not sure the posts thing should be included, but 'tis my crazy little idea.

Also, for a titlebar, we should totally have something like the Book of Mudora or something like that. A brief question, however, would be if Article Center staff would have just their regular Site Staff tag or also get the Article Writer tag?

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly when it comes to the article center I do not think any form of voting on new applicants should be nearly as strict or rigid as the other usergroups. I believe that the article center should be much more inviting for new members who wish to write for ZD if they feel they are able. I just think that there should be some kind of screening process to keep a lot of the spam and useless threads out of the section as it should only be for those who are serious about writing articles. But it should still be the member's choice if they wish to join the AC and write one. If a newer member wishes to write an article for ZD then maybe they should send in a small application in the form of a pm or possibly a pm with a request for access that lists a couple links to some of their better threads or replies showing that they have the capability to write an article. Have a thread stickied in the community forum that details what we are looking for in an AC applicant and when they read over it they can send in their request. Either to Hanyou, Axle, or the article team could review the request.

I view writing an article as a method for members to be able to contribute to ZD, I would not like for it to become an exclusive club that falls to elitist attitudes. I do not believe that is in any way the case just yet, but I'm afraid that any complex methods for inducting new members might create it eventually.

Austin

Austin
I've read through you guys' post and came up with a conclusion. It seems the idea of having an application for Article users is in favored. It also seems that there should be some post/reputation requirement too. My idea is that we use a combination of the two. We can make a hidden forum only available to people who meet a certain post/reputation. Here they're welcome to write an application that gets reviewed by the article users. Based off this they can get access to the article center.

For the icon image, I agree it needs a requirement. I'm thinking of doing 3 published article requirement. We only publish articles once (maybe twice) a week. It if had a relatively high number, it could take N+ weeks for a person to get an icon. This may be hurt the motivational purpose of the icon's existence. I'm open to other requirements.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
OK, I have a fairly decent idea about how to view the Article Center. Perhaps when a person has X amount of rep and X amount of posts, they could view it. The reason why I say this is so that way when the people go to post articles, they are already at a high caliber for writing quality as proven in the reputation, and they perhaps know quite a few facts, as seen in X amount of posts.

I have to disagree with this, partly. I do find it better that only users with a certain amount of reputation are abled to write articles and such, but as to view the Article Center I dont see why would you need certain rep. After all, it would be see and dont touch. No user can harm an Article just by viewing it, aside rom that new users would be encouraged to make better posts if they want to get to the certain amount of rep required to write their own article...

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I've read through you guys' post and came up with a conclusion. It seems the idea of having an application for Article users is in favored. It also seems that there should be some post/reputation requirement too. My idea is that we use a combination of the two. We can make a hidden forum only available to people who meet a certain post/reputation. Here they're welcome to write an application that gets reviewed by the article users. Based off this they can get access to the article center.

For the icon image, I agree it needs a requirement. I'm thinking of doing 3 published article requirement. We only publish articles once (maybe twice) a week. It if had a relatively high number, it could take N+ weeks for a person to get an icon. This may be hurt the motivational purpose of the icon's existence. I'm open to other requirements.
How about at least 1. I mean, 3 isn't TOO much, but some people can't really write three articles good enough to be published on the main page without spending alot of weeks on them. And spending weeks on an article means you'd loose motivation, as you said. Or, maybe 2. 1 or 2 articles would be better than 3. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom