• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Forgotten Temple

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Has anyone else found this place in BotW? It's in the northwest in a canyon area, I believe.

For those who have explored it, what do you think of it? It gave off a Forest Temple vibe while I was there, with the entrance even being higher up like the entrance to the Forest Temple in OoT.

So what could this place be? Anyone have any interesting observations?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
If there's any indication that it's OoT's Forest Temple, or even a callback to it, color me intrigued. OoT's Forest Temple is one of my all time favorite LoZ locals.

Anyone got screengrabs?

Has anyone else found this place in BotW? It's in the northwest in a canyon area, I believe.

For those who have explored it, what do you think of it? It gave off a Forest Temple vibe while I was there, with the entrance even being higher up like the entrance to the Forest Temple in OoT.

So what could this place be? Anyone have any interesting observations?

I found it and ran straight back out because i wasnt ready to tackle whats in there. And you only really need to go in there once and for one thing.

Its more of a gauntlet than anything else. I havent had a good look at it so whatever the lore is escapes me for now. However BotW seems to give the middle finger to Zelda lore so i dont know if actually studying would be worth it.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I found it and ran straight back out because i wasnt ready to tackle whats in there. And you only really need to go in there once and for one thing.

Its more of a gauntlet than anything else. I havent had a good look at it so whatever the lore is escapes me for now. However BotW seems to give the middle finger to Zelda lore so i dont know if actually studying would be worth it.

Well the lore has always been pretty inconsistent anyways.

I get the feeling it may have been Rauru's original temple from before he moved on to the Sacred Realm... possibly even a Temple of Hylia... he did build a Temple of Time over the site of the original Temple of Hylia after all.
I also have a theory that Kaepora Gaebora may be related to the Rito in BotW (their leader is an owl, after all), which would explain the temple's location on the edge of the Hebra province.

Easy ways to beat the shrine:
You can beat the area at any point. Even if you don't want to stealth kill everything like I did you can just rush through it.
https://youtu.be/jmjzewL0nno?t=2m3s

Or use the shield reflect ability if your stealth killing and paragliding skills are sub par.
https://youtu.be/PRhxUi7l18Y

Shrine's identity:
Given the giant Hylia statue and loftwing statues I'm inclined to agree the forgotten temple is the sealed temple
https://youtu.be/cJWpTTDmgVU

Also if you complete all 120 shrines that is where you are told to go for your reward so it seems like it would be a very important and unique location related to the 3 springs.

Shrine's identity:
Given the giant Hylia statue and loftwing statues I'm inclined to agree the forgotten temple is the sealed temple
Rauru built a Temple of Time over the Sealed Grounds, so it can't be.
Also, the Hylia Statue is far too small to be the one from the Sealed Temple, so it is likely just a replica.

Rauru built a Temple of Time over the Sealed Grounds, so it can't be.
Also, the Hylia Statue is far too small to be the one from the Sealed Temple, so it is likely just a replica.
I never said it was the Temple of Time. And if it isn't the Sealed Temple explain the two loftwing statues. As for the statue size I would say they are about the same.

I never said it was the Temple of Time. And if it isn't the Sealed Temple explain the two loftwing statues. As for the statue size I would say they are about the same.
I never said you did... but you did say it was the Sealed Temple... which is impossible because the Sealed Temple was within the Sealed Grounds, and a Temple of Time was built over the Sealed Grounds, and it's quite clear that both temples don't occupy the same location.
The Loftwing statues are also too big to be the ones from the Sealed Temple, meaning they are likely also replicas, like the statue of Hylia.

I never said you did... but you did say it was the Sealed Temple... which is impossible because the Sealed Temple was within the Sealed Grounds, and a Temple of Time was built over the Sealed Grounds, and it's quite clear that both temples don't occupy the same location.
The Loftwing statues are also too big to be the ones from the Sealed Temple, meaning they are likely also replicas, like the statue of Hylia.
Which means it is just some other temple with 2 loftwing statues and a giant statue of the Goddess Hylia... yea not buying that for a second. Either the temple was moved or it was reconstructed in honor of the actual temple. Either way that is clearly meant to be the Sealed Temple and arguing to the contrary is just being argumentative for the sake of it. Believe what you want if that isn't enough for you but I have no desire to make this into a back and forth with a wall.

Which means it is just some other temple with 2 loftwing statues and a giant statue of the Goddess Hylia... yea not buying that for a second. Either the temple was moved or it was reconstructed in honor of the actual temple. Either way that is clearly meant to be the Sealed Temple and arguing to the contrary is just being argumentative for the sake of it. Believe what you want if that isn't enough for you but I have no desire to make this into a back and forth with a wall.
It makes sense for Rauru to have built a Temple of Time over the Sealed Grounds, seeing as that was the location of the last remaining Gate of Time... and was also the resting place of the Master Sword.
If he knew about the Sealed Grounds, then he almost certainly knew about Hylia as well, so he could easily have built a new Temple of Hylia elsewhere around the same time, and it would make sense for him to have incorporated imagery from the original into the design of the new temple.
As I previously mentioned, this could also have served as the Temple of Light before Rauru moved on to the Sacred Realm, seeing as Hylia(/Zelda) appears to have some light-based powers, such as having granted Link the Bow/Arrows of Light on multiple occasions.... and this would also explain why it would have been 'forgotten' when Rauru moved on to the Sacred Realm, creating a new Temple of Light there.

There's also the fact that beyond the statues, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Sealed Temple/Grounds.
You can easily argue that there is a connection between the two temples because of the statues, but you cannot argue that they are the same temple.

It makes sense for Rauru to have built a Temple of Time over the Sealed Grounds, seeing as that was the location of the last remaining Gate of Time... and was also the resting place of the Master Sword.
If he knew about the Sealed Grounds, then he almost certainly knew about Hylia as well, so he could easily have built a new Temple of Hylia elsewhere around the same time, and it would make sense for him to have incorporated imagery from the original into the design of the new temple.
As I previously mentioned, this could also have served as the Temple of Light before Rauru moved on to the Sacred Realm, seeing as Hylia(/Zelda) appears to have some light-based powers, such as having granted Link the Bow/Arrows of Light on multiple occasions.... and this would also explain why it would have been 'forgotten' when Rauru moved on to the Sacred Realm, creating a new Temple of Light there.

There's also the fact that beyond the statues, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Sealed Temple/Grounds.
You can easily argue that there is a connection between the two temples because of the statues, but you cannot argue that they are the same temple.

I clearly can because I did. As stated the temple could have been moved or have been rebuilt in the image of the other because that one was destroyed over time. Either way, as previously stated, it is clearly meant to be that temple in this game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I clearly can because I did. As stated the temple could have been moved or have been rebuilt in the image of the other because that one was destroyed over time. Either way, as previously stated, it is clearly meant to be that temple in this game.
Um... if it's been moved or rebuilt then it's not the same temple.

Um... if it's been moved or rebuilt then it's not the same temple.
If you pick up a block and set it down on the other side of the room, is it not the same block?
And if the temple was built in the image of the original and the original is not around or at least not shown, wouldn't it simplify things incredibly to simply call it by the name of the original for the sake of clarity?

Saying anything else is just arguing for the sake of arguing and a waste of time and effort so I won't be a part of it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If you pick up a block and set it down on the other side of the room, is it not the same block?
And if the temple was built in the image of the original and the original is not around or at least not shown, wouldn't it simplify things incredibly to simply call it by the name of the original for the sake of clarity?

Saying anything else is just arguing for the sake of arguing and a waste of time and effort so I won't be a part of it.
The Temple of Time on the Great Plateau is called the Temple of Time and looks a lot like the one from OoT but it's obviously not the same temple. The same applies to the Forgotten Temple. Pretty sure that's what @DragonEleven is getting at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom