• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Forest Medallion~The Controversy

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
You're probably wondering what kind of controversy could possibly bestow the Forest Meddalion.Well truth is,in Ocarina of Time 3D They changed the design of the Medallion from 4 tails to 3 tails why might you ask? Well,the 98' version of the Medallion's tails were curved,making them sort of look like an S. Now how in the name of all that is holy is that controversial? Well one word answers my question: Swastika. Yes,it's hard to believe that the Forest Medallion bears a small resemblance to the infamous Nazi Insignia but its true! look it Up on google images(SimplyForest Medallion will do)!

CENSORED:
0717111828.jpg

UNCENSORED:
Forest_Medallion.png

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
Oh my word...really? Seriously? XD

In my honest opinion I feel this is a small case of overreaction. While yes, the original design on the Forest Medallion bears a slight resemblance to the Swastika, I have never clued into it until it was pointed out just now. Therefore, I do not think the shape was intentional for the initial design nor do I really think it needed to be changed for the very reason that the resemblance is relatively vague.

But, with the way society is today, it's better to be safe than sorry with these kinds of things. I still think this is a rather silly change in comparison with the other changes Nintendo has made to Zelda games, seeing as the reasons for changing previous features were far more obvious than this one.

That's just my two cents on the matter, however. :P

Is this really the first version that they have made it more politically correct:( in this way? They have censord blood and Islamic refferences for ever and it is hard to beleive after 14 years this would come up but anything can happen right. Who ever looked close enough at the small design to notice. I think the connection with the swatzica with the nazi party should be dropped because it used to be a commen symbole for plain decoration(I am not saying what they did was not important or that it wasn't wrong just that sometimes symbolism is over rated. also if hitler had died right before he started the actions of hate, he would be considerd a hero of germany for his good national reforms. some germans after the war said that "I cant beleive that Mr. Hitler would do those things". Funny how history works.).

M

Matthew

I noticed that, actually! XD
I remember pointing it out to my cousin. He thought it was an Easter Egg...LOL.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i will never be able to unsee that. i've played the game SO many times but i've never likened it to a swastika. when i saw the 3 tail pic i thought it looked weird.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I guess the Forest Medallion resembles a Swastika, but I always thought the Forest Medallion symbol looked much more curved compared to the Swastika. Honestly, a dungeon in the original LoZ more obviously resembles a Swastika (actually it's technically a Manji, but close enough).

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I never noticed this before but if I did I probably would have thought it was supposed to be based on a manji, which the swastika was also based off. In reality it's supposed to look like a fan because the Forest Temple was originally going to be the Wind Temple. What's the big deal with swastikas anyway? Nazis don't have much power anymore yet anything slightly resembling it, even the tiniest detail, is offensive.

M

Matthew

I guess the Forest Medallion resembles a Swastika, but I always thought the Forest Medallion symbol looked much more curved compared to the Swastika. Honestly, a dungeon in the original LoZ more obviously resembles a Swastika (actually it's technically a Manji, but close enough).

I noticed that too, the other day, that the Manji dungeon is designed like a backwards Swastika.

So they censored the Fire Temple theme, the Gerudo Symbol and now they censor the Forest Medallion. My OoT has been censred a lot for a game that is not even rated for adults. But I suppose they were just playing safe. I never thought they were actually censoring the game, in fact I never noticed the Nazi symbol at all. I thought Grezzo just decided to change the designs for some trivial reason. Anyway it is not that big of a problem. Although I really miss the Fire Temple original theme and Ganondorf spitting true blood.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Whoa, I guess I never payed enough attention to notice that:S. I can see how this might cause some controversy, but personally, I don't think it's a big deal. It's not based off of the swastika, it just happens to look a little like it, it's not like Nintendo is promoting Nazism or anything like that, they probably didn't even realize it looked like that. Honestly though, if anybody takes this offensively, they need to shut up and stop being so serious about everything.

Adam

Undefeated
It is extremely possible that the forest medallion was a modification of the swastika, remember the dungeon in LoZ that had that same shape?? they have had to change alot (like the gerudo symbol used to me the muslim moon and star i believe) no big deal, theyre just trying to not offend people. japan just uses symbols like that to signify western cultures (gerudo were desert, middle eastern based people) so ur probably right about the original being a swastika

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
It's not the swastika. On the Gear screen, even three leaves on the Forest Medallion are pretty small. Putting four could make the medallion unreadable due to 3DS's small screen.

I can't believe that people actually care enough to find stuff like this and make some variant of fuss about it.

Seriously, is anything that looks even remotely close to a Swastika bad nowadays?

I want to go back to the days when it meant "light." That way, I don't have to keep hearing about how it relates to Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom