• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.(SPOILER ZONE)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm convinced that Snoke is Darth Plagueis. The music from the opera house that plays when Sidious tells Anakin about Darth Plagueis the Wise also plays during the Snoke scenes.

Also on the bridge when Kylo Ren says about Snoke being very wise. I thought that was a tease.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I knew Han was going to die when Harrison Ford said the movie was "Wonderful." He's been wanting Han dead for a while and now he gets his wish. He's no longer tied to star wars.

MW7

I knew Han was going to die when Harrison Ford said the movie was "Wonderful." He's been wanting Han dead for a while and now he gets his wish. He's no longer tied to star wars.
It's so true. I believe he loved Episode IV because it put him on the path to super stardom, he loved Episode V because it ended on a tragic note for his character, and he hated Episode VI because in his words it ended, "with a teddy bear picnic," or something like that. He wanted to die in that film, and instead he was portrayed to live happily ever after with Leia surrounded by happy little dancing ewoks.

My favorite moment of The Force Awakens was when Anakin's light saber flies past Kylo to Rey. She rejected the weapon when it first called to her, and the trailers all teased Finn using the light saber to make people think that he would be the next Jedi in the series. The scene is set up so well, and you can see the shock and fear in Kylo's eyes as he realizes what he's up against.

I also loved how Chewbacca seemed to play a larger role than ever before in the series. Even without understanding his speech, he was making me laugh throughout the movie. Chewie also was vital to the plot as he injured Kylo before the duel, damaged the base by placing and detonating the charges, and rescued Rey and Finn from the base before it became a star.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I'm waiting to see how Kylo was rescued before it turned into a sun. I want Poe to have a larger role in the next movie. I want Finn to have a big role in the resistance. He's an ex so trooper so he's already trained. Maybe he'll become a great fighter pilot like Poe. I want to see more of the Knights of Ren. I want Rey's training NOT to be like Luke'a with yoda

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I really love the parallels with Vader/Obi-Wan, it's exactly what Maul/Qui-Gon tried to do but failed miserably at. Kill the beloved old wise man (or in Han's case more of a wise guy) and let the perpetrator escape so we have a villain that reaches across the entire trilogy.

Also holy **** the lightsaber fights were amazing, they were so realistic and visceral like an actual swordfight would be, with actual mid-duel injuries. None of that silly "Revenge of the Sith" lightsaber twirling. You know what I mean.

tumblr_n1b4xeSYTo1toamj8o1_400.gif

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I loved the movie!
It was a retelling of A New Hope, yes. But as long as they heavily deviate on the next two films, I'm all good.

It's been a while to actually have a good movie of which you can ask questions and speculate.

How will the relationship between Luke and Rey end up..

How does Finn tie into all of this? Could he perhaps actually be a force user? This is unlikely, however, he certainly has really good reflexes to be one. But other than that, why is he here?

How did Ben fail? What happened. He said that he wasn't strong enough for the light side. What went wrong, and how is it Luke's fault?

How will the New Order strike back from here?

Who is Rey's mother?

My overall hopes is that Rey and Luke aren't the only Jedi in the trilogy. I would love to see some more, each one expanding the powers that the force can give you.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
It was reallyyyyyyyyy... good. Definitely better than the prequels, and was a solid movie. Well shot, practical effects finally, good acting, characters that aren't on moprhine, and no jar jar binks.

Although I do have to be a little ***** and complain about it a little.

I rolled my eyes a few times in the theatre when it felt like I was watching A New Hope again. Most of the minor stuff like the map in the droid, a "nobody" on a desert planet, (binary) normal sunset scenes were totally fine and it was more of a respectful nod to the original saga. But oh my god that Death Star III, seriously? Even the movie jokes about this Starkiller base being simply a death star that is much bigger, but Han Solo goes "..ok whatever, how do we blow it up". That was a little too much for me. Although still I'm fine with it on some level since the climax of the movie was more about Rey & Kylo, not so much the super weapon.

The other thing that bugged me was Kylo Ren. And for some reason I seem to have a polar opposite view of him than most other people. I just do not really understand the dudes motivations or the logic behind his moves. I get that he is trying to be this all powerful sith/dark jedi but actually is just a wimp, which is totally cool and unique, but why?

Why did he betray the new jedi order? For power, love, lust? Explaaaain. He doesn't even look like a guy that fell from grace
He still "feels the light", what is making him force himself to be evil? (basically same question as above)
All the other evil persons stayed evil because they passed the point of no return, but not this guy?
Why does he worship Vader, didn't Luke tell him that Vader got redemeed in the end?
What would he look up to exactly other than the menacing enforcer attitude (which he already has) ?
Does he not realize that the person who started the Jedi Purge was Palpatine?

Anyway, lots of random questions that kept popping up in my head around this guy but I can still see why people like the character. And I guess that's the important part here, that he actually is his own character even though I get confused when seeing him on screen.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
It was reallyyyyyyyyy... good. Definitely better than the prequels, and was a solid movie. Well shot, practical effects finally, good acting, characters that aren't on moprhine, and no jar jar binks.

Although I do have to be a little ***** and complain about it a little.

I rolled my eyes a few times in the theatre when it felt like I was watching A New Hope again. Most of the minor stuff like the map in the droid, a "nobody" on a desert planet, (binary) normal sunset scenes were totally fine and it was more of a respectful nod to the original saga. But oh my god that Death Star III, seriously? Even the movie jokes about this Starkiller base being simply a death star that is much bigger, but Han Solo goes "..ok whatever, how do we blow it up". That was a little too much for me. Although still I'm fine with it on some level since the climax of the movie was more about Rey & Kylo, not so much the super weapon.

The other thing that bugged me was Kylo Ren. And for some reason I seem to have a polar opposite view of him than most other people. I just do not really understand the dudes motivations or the logic behind his moves. I get that he is trying to be this all powerful sith/dark jedi but actually is just a wimp, which is totally cool and unique, but why?

Why did he betray the new jedi order? For power, love, lust? Explaaaain. He doesn't even look like a guy that fell from grace
He still "feels the light", what is making him force himself to be evil? (basically same question as above)
All the other evil persons stayed evil because they passed the point of no return, but not this guy?
Why does he worship Vader, didn't Luke tell him that Vader got redemeed in the end?
What would he look up to exactly other than the menacing enforcer attitude (which he already has) ?
Does he not realize that the person who started the Jedi Purge was Palpatine?

Anyway, lots of random questions that kept popping up in my head around this guy but I can still see why people like the character. And I guess that's the important part here, that he actually is his own character even though I get confused when seeing him on screen.
I think that it is the many questions you are asking that make the character more interesting, it was a brilliant move on the filmakers' part to not reveal every little tidbit about the villain. Yet we still know more about Kyle Ren than we did about Darth Vader in the original Star Wars. I think we will learn more about him and his turn to the dark side as the series goes on, especially as we learn more about Snoke and his powers.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah so I'll go ahead and give my opinions.

Overall I thought the movie was good, better than any of the prequel trilogy movies. It certainly was similar to A New Hope in terms of introducing the characters, and the plot had similarties. This didn't make it feel like the same movie though because it was new in it's own ways, which I liked.

My biggest fear going in was that CGI might be used over the top, but I actually felt that the movie balanced out CGI and practical effects well.

I thought it was weird how the Stormtroopers weren't clones before I saw the movie. Afterward it made sense, the clone army was basically disbanded, atleast the orginal one, so that was explained well.

Kylo Ren turning out to be Leia and Han Solo's son was a suprise. I didn't expect it but thought it worked well. I know some people were mad Han Solo got killed, but I thought it was brillent how it was done. Kylo Ren killed his own father to truely turn to the dark side, or atleast that was I gathered from the whole event. Some people acted suprised but I saw it coming. I mean look at the patterns of previous movies, Qui Kon gets killed in Phantom Menace, Obi-Wan dies in a New Hope. I honestly thought if Luke would have actually played a bigger role in the movie (actually getting involved) he would have died. So seeing Han Solo fill the gap as the more prominent old figure from the movies prior I had a feeling he would be killed.

Overall I have high hopes for this, there will be another movie without a doubt because the endng is sort of a cliff hanger moment. We may as well just assume a trilogy will be made, so there will be two more movies. I'm really looking foward to seeing Snoke in action and finding out more about him. Of course Rey will become a Jedi and be trained by Luke, she certainly seems strong with the force. I mean she was pulling off stuff that in other movies usually takes years to master (The Jedi Mind trick, she caught onto using the force really quick...) so it's possibly she could be a pretty unique Jedi once properly trained.

I'm wondering were the character of Finn is heading, I'm not sure if he's going to be a Han Solo type character, of if he'll be a Jedi too (he was using Luke's Lightsaber, and held his own against Kylo Ren for a decent amount of time with it). So whether he is just normal, or if he has the potential to use the force I'm looking foward to finding out.

So yeah. Really good movie in it's own right despite similarties to A New Hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom