• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.(SPOILER ZONE)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I just saw the movie. It absolutely had the ANH feeling but also some differences. I totally agree with ALIT. There was no emotion at all between Han Solo and his son. Maybe that shows how far they have grown apart for god knows how long. But there was no chemistry between the two actors at all. I too felt like the death scene was so unreal. It almost felt like Han knew it was coming and allowed his son to do it. Han who has fought so many foes and always being on guard and then he walks up to his son who has turned to the dark side like his grandfather did, falls for his son's sudden "oh yes dad,I think I turn good again" and gets killed. I expected Han to go down in a fight. The mighty villain vibe vanished quickly when ren took off his mask. But on the other hand I do believe it's also a good thing. Not to have another Darth Vader clone because we already have been through that. I did enjoy the movie but it doesn't top my Star Wars list.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The other thing that bugged me was Kylo Ren. And for some reason I seem to have a polar opposite view of him than most other people. I just do not really understand the dudes motivations or the logic behind his moves. I get that he is trying to be this all powerful sith/dark jedi but actually is just a wimp, which is totally cool and unique, but why?

I feel as though you are told what his motivations are and why he became evil. During the scene between him and Rey, Rey says that Kylo is scared he isn't as strong as Vader. I took that to mean that Kylo's motivations were for power, as the Dark Side is often shown to be about achieving one's strength (that might not be true, I know very little about Star Wars, but thats my take). Sure, this motivation is fairly weak and unoriginal, but I expect more about his reasons will be explained in the later movies. As for now though, I'll take the simple enough explanation. It makes sense, IMO.

Just seen the film, great stuff and I'm in no way a star wars fan.

How great does Hamil look with a beard?!

I really like Kylo, was nice to see such a torn character, and evil (but kind of not really) struggling with the light side of himself.

I also love his Zant hissy fit.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Just seen the film, great stuff and I'm in no way a star wars fan.

How great does Hamil look with a beard?!

I really like Kylo, was nice to see such a torn character, and evil (but kind of not really) struggling with the light side of himself.

I also love his Zant hissy fit.

He has two hissy fits. They were some of my favourite moments in the film.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I should note that the key events in the film were taken from the Legacy series books that take place in the same point of time in the Legends timeline.

In Legacy, the Sith Lord is Darth Caedus, formerly Jacen Solo, son of Han and Leia. So that plot element survived, just changed the name. His rival in Legacy is Jaina Solo, Jacen's twin sister. Obviously he's not a twin in the movie but Rey is clearly his rival and it's strongly implied she's Luke's daughter so there still the same family thing there.
In Legacy, Jacen solidifies his turn to the dark side by murdering Luke's wife, Mara Jade. She's not available for the film so another family member had to be sacrificed. After Jacen turned to the dark side, Luke went into exile to figure out what it meant. In the film he did the same thing. Luke's only son was named Ben. His character seemed to be merged with Jaina's to make Rey, and Jacen got his name, Ben.

There may be other similarities as the series continues. Since it seems to be copying key plot points from Legacy, I'd say it's likely. Though hopefully it does a better job. Because Legacy was the absolute worst series in the Legends EU. It ended with the a very severe pyrrhic victory. While they technically defeated the Sith, the Empire fully reformed itself and assumed total control over the galaxy, with the remnants of the New Republic, now called the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, transformed into an Imperial puppet state with a long time Imperial admiral, Admiral Daala, made its head of state. And the Jedi were essentially enslaved with Luke permanently exiled. And in the Legacy comics set 100 years later, things have only gotten worse. Hopefully they don't do that here in the new films and end it with some element of hope.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
After watching this film, I can honestly say that it's up there with all the others. I was very impressed and I liked the new characters a whole lot. Kylo Ren was really pathetic to me, I expected to be intimidated by him but he just came across as an annoying brat. I'm really confused about Rey...why is she more powerful (or at least, SEEMS more powerful) than Ren? I really would like to see more of a backstory for her in the next two movies (I'm assuming this will be the beginning of another trilogy.).
But from what I've seen with the flashbacks and whatnot, I think she is maybe the child of someone important (Luke, perhaps? Naw, too obvious.). It's possible that Luke was her father and had to leave her behind to flee to safety. But really, anything is possible right now. We don't have that much information to work with.
As for Kylo Ren, I do have hopes for him changing and becoming a better person. He didn't threaten me as much as the past antagonists have, which I thought was a nice change, but it did take away from the mystery of his character, I guess. But it really is a good thing, I think it makes for good character development and it shows us that there is a person behind that literal evil mask.
Also, I sensed some sort of tension between Rey and Ren. I'm not sure, but I feel as if they had met before.

MW7

Having seen the film multiple times now, I can say that this is far and away the best film I've ever seen in a theater. Granted I don't go to the movies that often, but the film is definitely in my top 10 movies of all time. No film has ever left me wanting more more than this one. The movie ends at a point where you want to see more. I am extremely excited for the sequels because all indications are that they will be more original than this movie was. Both are being written by Rian Johnson who has a reputation for thinking outside the box.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm really confused about Rey...why is she more powerful (or at least, SEEMS more powerful) than Ren? I really would like to see more of a backstory for her in the next two movies (I'm assuming this will be the beginning of another trilogy.).
She isn't. At least not now before being trained by Luke. Remember what happened. Kylo Ren was struggling with a pretty serious injury the entire fight. He was shot, remember? Every time he punched his chest during the fight was him trying to deal with the pain. Blood was dripping drop him the whole time. Someone not trained in the force would instead be writhing on the ground in agony over that injury. At his best, in full health, Rey wouldn't have stood a chance. As it was, he was in no shape to defend himself from anyone, even amateurs who have no idea how to properly use a lightsaber.

But from what I've seen with the flashbacks and whatnot, I think she is maybe the child of someone important (Luke, perhaps? Naw, too obvious.). It's possible that Luke was her father and had to leave her behind to flee to safety. But really, anything is possible right now. We don't have that much information to work with.
It very, very heavily implied she is his daughter. Everything that about the lightsaber supposed to be belonging to her now screams it.If she was just some random person, why would SHE be the one inheriting it? Only two possible options exist. Either she's Leia's daughter or Luke's. And the way it was played, Han and Leia don't make sense as the parents. It had to have been Luke.

As for Kylo Ren, I do have hopes for him changing and becoming a better person. He didn't threaten me as much as the past antagonists have, which I thought was a nice change, but it did take away from the mystery of his character, I guess. But it really is a good thing, I think it makes for good character development and it shows us that there is a person behind that literal evil mask.
I'm not so sure. The character in the Legends EU set at the same time he was adapted from did the same evil act he did and in the eyes of his family it made him irredeemable and resolved them to kill him instead. It seems that this movie kept the most fundamental and basic plot points from the books. No redemption would be part of it.

Also, I sensed some sort of tension between Rey and Ren. I'm not sure, but I feel as if they had met before.
Yeah that sense was there. But I think it's because they're obviously cousins. The character's they were based on from the books set in the same time period in the old EU were twins.

MW7

She isn't. At least not now before being trained by Luke. Remember what happened. Kylo Ren was struggling with a pretty serious injury the entire fight. He was shot, remember? Every time he punched his chest during the fight was him trying to deal with the pain. Blood was dripping drop him the whole time. Someone not trained in the force would instead be writhing on the ground in agony over that injury. At his best, in full health, Rey wouldn't have stood a chance. As it was, he was in no shape to defend himself from anyone, even amateurs who have no idea how to properly use a lightsaber.
In addition Kylo wasn't fighting to kill her. He stopped fighting when he forced Rey back against the cliff and offered to train her. He was in a position to kill her despite his multiple injuries. He also seemed to be playing with Finn until Finn landed a hit on Kylo. Kylo seemed to be reckless in the two fights, possibly because of his injuries. On top of physical pain he had just killed his defenseless father. There is no way Kylo was fighting at the best of his ability.

It was boring. Disney as usual, took an amazing franchise and turned it into dull, cliché tripe after purposely ****ting on the work of far more talented people then they could ever hope to be these days.

And yet they not only made this movie a safe version of A New Hope, they had the gall after canning the EU to give us their piss-poor version of Jacen Solo and call it Kylo Ren.

Kylo Ren is the most pathetic sith in the history of ever.

Ray was meh.

The only thing I really liked was Finn.

I don't wanna see the sequels.

Last edited:

Zelda738

Hyrule Warrior
I don't think Han's dead. In my personal opinion, if Han could be frozen in Carbonite for so long, I'm pretty sure he could take a saber to the stomach. Ya know? And remember back in The Empire Strikes Back, when Luke falls down into the endless pit of death, he manages to survive. Is Starkiller base no different? Think about it.
han-solo-dies.jpg

And if he is really dead, let us all cry alone :(.

But that's just my theory on it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It was boring. Disney as usual, took an amazing franchise and turned it into dull, cliché tripe after purposely ****ting on the work of far more talented people then they could ever hope to be these days.

And yet they not only made this movie a safe version of A New Hope, they had the gall after canning the EU to give us their piss-poor version of Jacen Solo and call it Kylo Ren.

Kylo Ren is the most pathetic sith in the history of ever.

Ray was meh.

The only thing I really liked was Finn.

I don't wanna see the sequels.

Don't you want to watch the romance unfold between Poe Dameron and Finn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom