• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Fatigue Meter; Too Much?

What do you think about this Fatigue Meter?

• It's being overused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like it at all.

• I don't care.

• I don't really notice it.

• They should make an upgrade to his stamina.

• Total voters

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I believe they've stated there are no block puzzles- as in, blocks being used to push buttons to open doors- so let me find that interview...

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I like it, for the most part. i mean, there are some places where depleting the Stamina Meter is kinda redundant and stupid. But, from the gameplay footage i've seen, it doesn't look like you'll be pushing blocks all that often. i like to think of the Stamina Meter as like in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, when you rolled or span too much, you'd get dizzy for a sec and then keep going. that wasn't annoying, and i don't think this'll be annoying either. and, from what i've seen, the meter fills back up pretty quickly. so yeah... i think it'll be all good, and you guys all know Nintendo, they'll pull it off and make everything awesome... ^^

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I like the Stamina Meter. It not only gives sense of realism, but it makes very clever puzzles for the game. Take the gigantic boulder-lava-rock- monster that is charging toward Link the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-.jpg

I'm assuming we'll have to run away from it (OBVIOUSLY) like a 2D runner. But you have to keep an eye on your Stamina for slowing down.

Also, if they give us an implement of running in the game, i'm sure they would limit us in running for being able to hold dash for a set period of time. (and they did)

I wish there were an option in the voting for "I like it", cuz I would vote for it, cuz I like it!
Otherwise, the "upgrade the meter" option is interesting. Making it that Link can endure and hold his strength for a longer time.

I do like not being able to spam power attacks though. This feature will make fighting more difficult. Which in my opinion, is the number one problem I have with 3D Zeldas. The fighting is TOO EASY. Hopefully SS is a nice change. Motion control and stamina.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I like the concept of realism. I don't really see it as adding to the realism of it (which it kinda is, I know) but it adds to the difficulty of the game - it doesn't add too much, but enough to require more strategic thinking in certain locations. Honestly, I'd rather this than the rolling as that always got on my nerves.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
I like the Stamina Meter. It not only gives sense of realism, but it makes very clever puzzles for the game. Take the gigantic boulder-lava-rock- monster that is charging toward Link View attachment 14073

I'm assuming we'll have to run away from it (OBVIOUSLY) like a 2D runner. But you have to keep an eye on your Stamina for slowing down.

Also, if they give us an implement of running in the game, i'm sure they would limit us in running for being able to hold dash for a set period of time. (and they did)

I wish there were an option in the voting for "I like it", cuz I would vote for it, cuz I like it!
Otherwise, the "upgrade the meter" option is interesting. Making it that Link can endure and hold his strength for a longer time.

I actually noticed that the stamina meter isn't there when Link is running away in trailer.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The stamina meter isn't such a bad idea on Nintendo's part, and it certainly does boost the realism in Skyward Sword. But is realism what we really want in a Zelda game? Not necessarily.

Let's take a look at Skyward Sword: it seems like an overly ambitious game. Never has a Zelda game given the player freedom to fly freely in the air. If anything, it seems that Nintendo is trying to stray further away from a realistic game. The addition of a trusty sidekick that takes the form of a sword (Phi) and the fact that Link can somehow travel between Skyloft and the ground land of Hyrule makes Skyward Sword all the more fantastical. On the other hand, the developers of the game have made quite the effort to make Skyward Sword a bit more challenging - by that, I mean a bit more like real life. Link can not only jump now (finally), but he has a stamina meter that limits his physical abilities? In my opinion, Nintendo’s really working at a dead end with this one.

Slowly and steadily, Zelda games have become less like fantasy and more like reality. For example, starting with Twilight Princess, the magic meter was removed to give the game a more lifelike feel. Now, I didn’t really have a big problem with that, but the game just didn’t feel the same without magic. After replaying TP (once I played the rest of the 3D Zelda games), I realized that the “magic touch” of Zelda games really was magic. Now, this edging towards realism has taken its second step with Skyward Sword. Link will have the ability to jump like any ordinary person, but will lose his invincibility, so to speak. The stamina meter is just another addition or subtraction made to create a more down-to-earth Zelda series for the modern age of gaming.

The stamina meter can’t be taking the Zelda series far, and neither is the loss of magic. However, Nintendo is balancing this with more ridiculous and far-out elements in the game that will hopefully keep the Zelda series from becoming “bona fide”. In short, I’m not very opposed to the idea of a stamina meter. But if it means Nintendo will continue to walk the path of realism, then I’m not a fan.

Last edited:

Vibed

must read before he posts
Look, I think adding it for the sake of realism is silly, Nintendo probably does it for gameplay opportunities, challenge, and diversity. I'm sure the limiting nature of it will provide that.

Think about it. Limiting spin attacks so as not to give the player too much strength? (Kind of like in PH, and ST.) Dash and roll limiting in race to a goal puzzles or combat evasion? Even block pushing could have something up it's sleeve, this is Nintendo, after all.

As we all know, Zelda is a very fantasy focused series, Nintendo knows that too. Miyamoto says he wants to create personal gardens of wonder, so why pull that wonder away and add reality for the sake of reality? Much of it's fantasy is what captivates our imaginations with memorable characters.

The Stamina Bar and realism in Zelda

Last thing I want to say is, Majora Cat, I don't see how Zelda is pulling more towards reality (especially in the examples you mentioned.) Magic was simply not essential in TP or subsequent games, that's all. (How did magic even add "the magic touch" when there were magic based items in the game? In fact, the magic bar in previous games was a limiting factor.) Jumping in SS (assuming you mean forward) seems to be Z-target based, not at free will.

I'm sure you could find other examples, but I think they're probably not there to bring Zelda into a "modern" or "realistic" era. My example is the train from ST, which is mostly there for a gameplay mechanic.

Nintendo isn't walking the path of realism, they're simply melting down the unneeded and superficial aspects to the core Zelda experience, then adding their gameplay idea from there, whatever it may be.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo noticed a crucial aspect or something (we do not) during the early stages of Skyward Sword, 'ya know? Perhaps it was absolutely necessary for a stamina meter to be implemented. It might have something to do with the motion controls, and how deep and involving they are this time around. Whatever the case my be, we don't know; none of us (that I know of) are game developers or creators, and NONE OF US WORK FOR THE ZELDA TEAM OR NINTENDO. We are entering slightly into terra incognita at this point.

I personally think the stamina meter is a necessity as a balance and/or restriction to the level of control we are allowed in this game. Everything must have restrictions. In this case, one of those restrictions is the stamina meter.

You see, "fantastical" adventure games MUST have some basis in reality for them to work properly, and we are perhaps looking at the wrong things when we discuss realism and fantasy here.

For example, the absence of a magic meter in Twilight Princess should actually be considered an aspect of fantasy, NOT realism when you think about it. :S Twilight Princess has a host of "magical" items and equipment that could easily make use of a magic meter, yet doesn't. Why not? It doesn't seem to be realistic, as magical items/equipment in other Zelda games in the series (perhaps a few didn't) utilized a magic meter. It doesn't really seem to make sense that we suddenly DON'T need a magic meter to use...well...magical items... However, maybe a magic meter in TP was not needed. Who knows? The fact of the matter is we are not on the Zelda Team of creators and developers, so we don't know the reasons behind its absence, and they do what they do for a reason. It may have been for very good reasons that we are not aware.

You see, the world and its settings, the characters, and magical architecture and items can be "fantastical", but the overall "physics of things" in a video game MUST have some realistic (real world-based) elements for it to work. There MUST be some kind of limits or restrictions like a stamina meter, an area force field, or a limited amount of somethings, Whatever it might be, just know, it's there for a reason.

:embarrassed:This is badly typed and constructed and stuff, I know. But my brain is like mush in the morning when I'm just waking up...so yeah. :yes: Also: You ever notice how the "magic" in these kinds of games kind of actually makes things make sense and explains why such impractical items work (i.e. What does the Spinner in TP run on? :S)

My experience with the stamina meter:

- Dashing will more than likely be limited because of the stealth portions of the game. If you run at the wrong time or with the wrong pacing, you're screwed. Other than that, I can see it being a struggle to set yourself up nicely against a slew of enemies, although I'm not sure they're going to send very many enemies at you at once with the emphasis on one-on-one combat.

- There will probably be obstacles while you climb walls/vines at some point in the game, and having a stamina meter would force you to think and act on your toes.

- I'm not exactly sure how the stamina meter will factor into pushing blocks, but I get the feeling that the stamina meter comes into play when you're throwing Link's weight against things in general. For example, if they were to have sumo wrestling in this game, Link would probably have to replenish stamina at intervals. This was probably also applied to pushing blocks for consistency purposes, even if it never really impacts any block-pushing scenarios.

- The massive loss of stamina with each Spin Attack is an EXCELLENT idea, much better than the timed interval system used in TP or the "charge your sword" system used in other games. I don't think most people realize this, but in the Jimmy Fallon footage where people think he just "waggled" to victory 1) the only effective techniques he used in that entire video were all Spin Attacks, which ARE executed with waggle or 2) had he not killed the Stalfos with that last hit, he would have been defenseless because it depleted the rest of his stamina. The Stalfos WOULD DEFINITELY HAVE hit him with its two-heart damage attack. He had already gotten hit once, and given that the Sky Temple is the first dungeon you'd probably only have three hearts at this point in the actual game, so a two-heart hit probably would have killed him.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I think it's fine. It adds a sense of realism to the game, which is always cool.
ZELDA DOES NOT NEED REALISM!!!! For the last freaking time people! Game companies are putting way too much stress on realism! In FPS' like CoD, it's fine, but in other games, it's just not necessary! I'm fine with a sprint meter, but for the amount of things they are using it for, it's better without.

The way it's implemented, all it really does is balance your abilities (you can't run too long or use too many powerful sword moves in a row) and add an extra hurdle to previously-disgustingly-easy tasks like climbing walls and shoving things around. Essentially, it gives a little bit of challenge, but if you play smart and well you'll barely notice it anyway. I never once felt like it was an invasion of the experience.

Dark_One

Fierce Diety
The fatigue meter probably isn't used as much we all might think. It also probably won't deplete as fast as we think either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom