• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Fatigue Meter; Too Much?

What do you think about this Fatigue Meter?

• It's being overused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like it at all.

• I don't care.

• I don't really notice it.

• They should make an upgrade to his stamina.

• Total voters

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiB_zmJfl00 Watch 9:18. Pushing blocks will drain stamina. And seriously, I'm not sure if realism is going to go along in here. If this were real, and I were to jump off cliffs that Link does, I'd break a lot of bones, even if I did roll when I landed.
Ok, i was not aware of the block pushing draining stamina... sorry for my mistake. and i mean realism as in you feel like you're there. It's still a fantasy, and things aren't gonna make sense. they want Link to be even more of a "Link" between the gamer and the game. all humans get tired... that's just how it is.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
You don't get tired from swimming... the only part where I saw the stamina meter in the water was when Link was diving. That makes sense, you know.

IHNo

The Other Side
Hmm, I quite like the idea of Link having a stamina meter. Although I can see how it could bring hassle and frustration into the game instead of challenge. However, I believe Nintendo is aware of the fine line between the two, and that they will bring forth this idea without ticking off players. And I'd assume the water stamina would be for Link holding his breath underwater, not merely him swimming. I could be wrong though. One last thing - instead of having Link "upgrade" his stamina, which may seem too RPG-like for some people, why not allow him to burn less energy as he continues on his quest? I guess an easier way of saying it would be that, the further Link is in his quest, the slower the stamina meter will deplete. Progress at its finest. :)

I like it. If you watch the demos, you can see that it refills rather quickly and doesn't really interfere with the tempo of the gameplay. A fully drained meter (something I only noticed during block-pushing and vine climbing) refills in less than 5 seconds.

It doesn't go down for normal sword slashes either, only spin attacks so far, so athenian is completely overreacting.

And when I first heard about the stamina meter I assumed there was going to be upgrades. Like there might be a wall with vines that's too high to climb in a certain area with a heart piece or something else valuable at the top. After upgrading your stamina you can climb higher and get the upgrade. Maybe stamina upgrades come from great fairies or you can find them in chests?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Why isn't there an "I love it" option? I think this is one of the best things to happen to Zelda. We are going to have to pace ourselves in certain things we do with this new aspect. In turn, we'll have to pay more attention to our surroundings than ever before. And as for the more complicated moves, that makes sense. Tougher moves require more man-power. Plus, it'll keep some people from spamming the more powerful moves so they'll fight for real. This is, imo, going to enhance the Zelda experience rather than hinder it like some people say.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
Well, in a sense, I do love it, but they're overdoing it when they apply it to pushing the blocks around. But I trust that Nintendo will probably make it end up being useful for something.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I really do love the unbridled feeling that all past Zelda games have offered. I'm the type of gamer who loves to stray from the main quest and do other random things, like run around aimlessly in the mainland. I was really disheartened when I first saw the stamina meter, but then I reasoned with myself that it replenished fairy quickly, and the new dash feature makes up for it since Link can run so fast. X3

I'm really having mixed opinions on this one. When I think about the meter now, I remember how rolling and Spin Attacks worked in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks -- after three rolls or Spin Attacks, Link would get dizzy. However, the dizziness was only temporary and would wear off pretty quickly. This is how I imagine Skyward Sword's stamina meter to work. If we use too many Spin Attacks during battle, then Link would get tired and it would make us more vulnerable to enemy attacks for a little while, just like in PH and ST. Since it wasn't a problem for me for those two games, I wouldn't see it as a problem for me in SS, either. It's a reminder for us to remember not to use too much of Link's strength.

Concerning the stamina meter depleting while pushing blocks and climbing vines... I don't see those as a problem, either. Whenever you have a block in Zelda, it's usually for some kind of block puzzle. I don't know about you, but whenever I see a puzzle, I'd just stand there and think about it for a little while. Link would push a block to a new location, and then I'd look at the puzzle again and think about what I should do next. In this time, the stamina meter should replenish itself. For the vines, well, I guess I would just have to climb them faster. o_O

The only thing I'm worried about with the stamina meter is running around and rolling. Rolling actually takes a hefty chunk out of the meter... Aww. D:

In the end, I wouldn't say that I like the stamina meter (since I value my unrestricted gameplay), but I also wouldn't say that it would become a problem either. It would be a minor annoyance at the most, sorta like Link's swim meter in The Wind Waker.

skybird11

state alchemist
i do like the sence of realism that it adds but its just not zelda material. the meter looks strait out of mario galaxy. and what happened to our never tireing hero with amazing stamina. i hope this doesnt over take the position of rolling. also you move really slow, iron boots slow, once the meter is depleated and you could easily accidentally run out of stamina

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
While I too wish the presentation was more minimal - that's nitpicking a game that no one here has played for any significant length of time. Inspecting the eggs before they're laid. I like the idea that you have limited stamina while climbing vines, seems someone on the development team was a fan of Shadow of the Colossus.

A

at332

This could be great feature or an annoying one that really tests your patience. Either way, there's no way to know until the game comes out.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I don't think it's too much, I, like a lot of people above me, think that it will add realism to the game and also add a layer of challenge, something the last couple of 3D Zelda games have been somewhat lacking.

Besides, how could we possibly say that it will seriously hurt the game, especially since I haven't heard or seen anyone who has actually played the game complain about it? At least try the game and play it a little before saying it will hurt the game...

I just always assumed that Link saved so much energy from not talking that he never ran out.

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
well... its good but i think that the pushing block thing is a little bit too far but other than that i would say its a good idea

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Well, in a sense, I do love it, but they're overdoing it when they apply it to pushing the blocks around. But I trust that Nintendo will probably make it end up being useful for something.

I assume you mean that they're overdoing it in the sense that the stamina metter is being applied on too many of Link's actions? If that's the case, then I'd tell you to stay calm about it, after all, I don't remember that much block-pushing in the demo. If you're concerned about them using too many of those actions, then remember that we've still got to see the rest of the game. They might not overdo it as much as you think, in fact, they could even find a way to increase the tension effectively with the limit.

We know Nintendo is decent enough a developer to at least notice problems like that. They'll probably make it as far from annoying as possible.

If they actually make it that much of a hassle, though, now THERE you got a reason to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom