• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Fallout 4 Thread (Tunnel Snakes Rule and if you disagree I will kill you)

Salem

SICK
I have never beaten Fallout 3 yet.....
I hate the art style, this is too colourful for a fallout game and there's no signs of it being an mmo like skyrim online. Like the old saying goes, like war, the poor quality of Bethesda games never changes.
it's just me, but so far I prefer this style to Fallout 3.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Also is anyone else really excited to explore an actual city?

The downtown area in F3 was good, but most of it was inaccessible and connected via the metro system and New Vegas (the actual city) was quite small. This time it looks like there's an actual living breathing city (skyscrapers) within the wasteland.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It looks like Boston didn't really get hit much by the bombs....
I wonder how this will affect this world?
I also wonder if they are going to include the whole state of Massachussets... Maybe they can include New York too.
Though, I am still awaiting for a true Fallout game that takes place in Chicago. That would be really cool.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If anyone's looking to a release date, Amazon and Green Man Gaming both have it pegged for 2015, and Bethesda's own site lists TBA 2015. So might not be too long a wait.

On another note, any PC players can use the code "23PERC-ENTOFF-48HOUR" at GMG for a discount on their pre-order. Can activate the key on Steam. Clue's in the code name, 23% off the price, and the deal is going for 48 hours. If you know you're pre-ordering this Day 1, might be a good idea to bite!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It looks like Boston didn't really get hit much by the bombs....
I wonder how this will affect this world?
I also wonder if they are going to include the whole state of Massachussets... Maybe they can include New York too.
Though, I am still awaiting for a true Fallout game that takes place in Chicago. That would be really cool.
That could be true, or it could have been reserved with some highly advanced technology like Vegas was. What we know though is that probably the most advanced civilisation, post great war, occupies Boston, so that could explain the advancements in the city which I'm guessing is the Institute.

Dan

The downtown area in F3 was good, but most of it was inaccessible and connected via the metro system and New Vegas (the actual city) was quite small. This time it looks like there's an actual living breathing city (skyscrapers) within the wasteland.

When you show me a very Noir-esque image of a guy walking down a city alley way like in the OP YOU BET I AM. It will be nice. I do suspect we will have larger actual living breathing cities. Since Fallout 4 isn't going to be released on the older generation consoles that will mean there's no bottleneck like there was with Skyrim; Skyrim actually suffered quite a bit and had smaller cities/towns than it's predecessor since the fancier graphics meant it had to sacrifice town size to compensate, PC gamers of which were a little upset with that.
I hope there's some awesome Nuka-cola themed objectives in game too, it's my favourite fictional object after all, and has me purchasing more cola than I usually do as well.

I hope the game is more polished than New Vegas come launch day...
Looks like the dog companion will have a more complex ai this time or the trailer at least suggests that, maybe it can search a building for items such as Nuka cola.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

Yeah I'm excited about that!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So everything so far is pointing to a 2015 release, but now Gamestop Italy have actually set a date (source).

Now this date could easily just be a mistake or a placeholder, but I think it's pretty odd. First off, why would they actually set a specific date in October? Every other pre-order website has linked to TBA 2015 or a 31st December 2015 indicating that they have knowledge that it will release sometime in may 2015 - the latter date being the last day of the year. So what's significant about this date? If you're a Fallout fan you'll know what this date is - the date of the Great War. Also the 23rd just so happens to be on a Friday, which they note as well. Bethesda likes worldwide releases and Skyrim was also announced on a Friday too.

So what do you guys think about this? Could it be legit? Is it probable? I certainly think so and recent history suggests so. Fallout 3 reveal trailer 2008 - release date 2008. New Vegas reveal trailer 2010 - release date 2010. Both were also released in the fall as well (significant in the series).

So did Bethesda finally decide to use something not-Gamebryo, or did they just have Boris Vortonsov do their trailer?

Regardless, looks pretty interesting. I preferred Fallout 3's world and art style to New Vegas personally, the latter seemed to lack a lot of depth. Felt too much like the actual Mojave without enough interesting locations to discover/explore. But even in Fallout 3, I always felt downtown DC was lacking, so many buildings that were just low poly placeholders and not explorable. IIRC, there was a mod that expanded on that but I really would love to explore an actual living post-apocalyptic city that's to scale. Some of these screenshots remind me a bit of the original Fallout in terms of larger explorable cities.

I would really love to see something along the lines of The Hub or The Necropolis from the original game in Fallout 4, and something more akin (but larger and more fleshed out) to Los Angeles in Fallout 1. I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas but as big as the worlds are in both games they just felt unfinished (well, New Vegas literally was unfinished...) and lacking the amount of detail that I think a game with as detailed and extensive lore as Fallout should have.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
10/11/15 (or if you're American) 11/10/15

It's coming. I'll post more of the stuff shown, because there was so ****ing much, later.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Here's the footage fror anyone who missed it.

Not going to lie, and this may be my fanboy side coming out, but this completely blew me away. They've went above and beyond what I originally thought. They haven't just improved on the fundamentals, but they've added so much new stuff. I think they're going to set a new standard for open world games.

Here's a list of the new things shown:
  • You start off pre-war
  • New and easy character customisation (finally because past Fallout game had pretty awful character customisation, lol)
  • Player actually talks (Not sure how I feel about this yet)
  • Dynamic speech in-game
  • Enhanced Pip-boy interface
  • Collector's Edition (actual Pip-boy)
  • Can use real Pip-boy to interact with game and/or tablet/phone app (gimmicky, but a nice optional addition)
  • New enhanced VATs system (more control and slows down time instead of completely pausing)
  • More interactive companion controls
  • Customise your own base in specific areas of the game and upgrade them into actual settlements using a unique creation engine tool (this actually looks really ****ing cool and could add so much to the game since most RPGs have you constantly move without ever having your own settlement)
  • Complete customisation of guns and attachments (much more in depth than just adding attachments - could create thousands of different combinations)
  • Same as above but with armour
  • New enemies and new variations of old enemies
  • Access to an actual Veribird (we'll see how this works, but I think it will be a late feature and an expensive one)
  • Power Armour frist person view and jetpack attachment
  • Verticality to the game (something different for the open world genre that's for sure)
  • Multitude of different landscapes and buildings
Wow.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Here's the footage fror anyone who missed it.

Not going to lie, and this may be my fanboy side coming out, but this completely blew me away. They've went above and beyond what I originally thought. They haven't just improved on the fundamentals, but they've added so much new stuff. I think they're going to set a new standard for open world games.

Here's a list of the new things shown:
  • You start off pre-war
  • New and easy character customisation (finally because past Fallout game had pretty awful character customisation, lol)
  • Player actually talks (Not sure how I feel about this yet)
  • Dynamic speech in-game
  • Enhanced Pip-boy interface
  • Collector's Edition (actual Pip-boy)
  • Can use real Pip-boy to interact with game and/or tablet/phone app (gimmicky, but a nice optional addition)
  • New enhanced VATs system (more control and slows down time instead of completely pausing)
  • More interactive companion controls
  • Customise your own base in specific areas of the game and upgrade them into actual settlements using a unique creation engine tool (this actually looks really ****ing cool and could add so much to the game since most RPGs have you constantly move without ever having your own settlement)
  • Complete customisation of guns and attachments (much more in depth than just adding attachments - could create thousands of different combinations)
  • Same as above but with armour
  • New enemies and new variations of old enemies
  • Access to an actual Veribird (we'll see how this works, but I think it will be a late feature and an expensive one)
  • Power Armour frist person view and jetpack attachment
  • Verticality to the game (something different for the open world genre that's for sure)
  • Multitude of different landscapes and buildings
Wow.

:vaultboy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom