• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Fabled Official Timeline Document

So... I did some reading on the Developer's Quotes page here on ZD, and I found something interesting.

Eiji Aonuma: Yes, there is a master timeline but it is a confidential document! The only people to have access to that document are myself, Mr. Miyamoto and the director of that title. We can't share it with anyone else! I have already talked to Mr. Miyamoto about this so I am comfortable in releasing this information - this title [Skyward Sword] takes place before Ocarina of Time. If I said that a certain title was 'the first Zelda game', then that means we can't ever make a title that takes place before that! So for us to be able to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting the titles before or after each other.

AhHA! You Lied NoA! There is a Timeline! But here is an interesting Interview.

Mases Hagopian: I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you're sort of a celebrity in the Zelda Community. Interviews you did 10-15 years ago are still quoted to try to prove the validity of various timeline theories.

Dan Owsen: You know, at one point we had drafted a timeline and wanted to make it available online. We showed it to the guys in Japan and they basically told us that it would be best if we didn't post it. They do have a timeline that has continuity between the games but they wanted to keep it open for how each player views the chronology of the series. There are a lot of connections between the games, but they do have a timeline that has continuity. It's up to the player to place all the pieces together.

Mases Hagopian: So there seems to be a disconnect between you guys (Nintendo of America) and the developers in Japan.

Dan Owsen: I wouldn't call it a disconnect. Just that the developers feel that posting a full narrative would take away from the players' imagination. Part of what makes the series so special is the legend that spans across the series and they wanted to preserve that in the players' vision. It's also why they have never given Link a voice. The story is told as if the player is Link. Giving him a voice would eliminate that attachment.

It turns out for the 25th Birthday of Zelda Nintendo of America wanted to shut us up and Release an official Timeline! But Nintendo's Main headquarters said "NO! WONT LET YOU!" D: Probably because the player has to find out. Or maybe because it's Metriod's 25th Birthday also to, And Zelda is getting way to much love so they denied it cause of it's Existance..... (Same goes for Kid Icarus). But thats probably not the case... I'm guessing no one has got it right so far so they have yet to publicly announce it yet.
So this is one of Nintendo's Puzzles huh... Well I guess keep thinking guys. :)

I am not in least least bit surprised over this.

However i does aggravate me slightly.

But it does aggravate me nearly as much as people who play 2 Zelda games quickly look over the others and make a complete timeline and arrogantly refuse to believe there wrong. Actually anyone who claims there timeline is infallible annoys me, I've kinda given up on time-lining for now anyway.

Woulda' been nice for it all to be settled once and for all though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom