• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "Ex"-Gay Lifestyle

Where in the constitution is it stated? We already went over the fact that it's not in the first amendment.
It's called separation of church and state. Look it up. It's in the Constitution, albeit not word for word. However, this doesn't necessarily mean [we] they actually abide by this law. One might argue that despite there being a law against it, at the foundation of creating laws exist a pre-disposition to base said laws around religious values, in most cases Christianity.

I will stop here, as this thread appears to be wavering off-topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is dangerous to try to 'cure' something that needs no curing at all. We all know the stories about young people committing suicide because they can't succeed in 'praying the gay away'. If that's not harmful then what is? It's all based on that worst of poisons that threaten humanity: orthodox religion.

I once asked this to Dik Swaab, who is a leading neuroscientist here in Holland and who did lots of research on the nature of sexual orientations. He told me that it's not a curable disorder and that it's something in the structure of the brain. So, yeah, there you have it.

But the disregard of conservative christians for scientific research and facts is nothing new I am afraid. Those curing camps are just one of the more horrible examples I know of.

This is part of the Treaty with Tripoli. These were NOT Washington's words despite his pic being there. The treaty was written by Joel Barlow, but it was read aloud and approved *unanimously* by the Senate in 1797 and represents clearly the feelings of our Founding Fathers at the beginning of the American government.

Homosexuality is a very heated subject but one commonly unrecognized end of the spectrum would be the "ex"-gay way of living.

I, personally, am against it, due to past experience. I attempted to "pray the gay away", but, alas, I had no success. I left this way of thinking about myself due to depression and realizations that had come about to me about homosexuality and Biblical scripture.

But what are your views on this issue? Do you think "ex"-gay organizations are dangerous, and should they be allowed to continue their reparative therapy?

If you are not aware of what this is, an "ex"-gay is a person who claims to have become a heterosexual through the power of God, is still trying to "pray the gay away", or has simply chosen to live a life of abstinence. The most popular "ex"-gay organization is Exodus International.

http://exodusinternational.org/
Not sure if serious

If true, i'm sorry you were involved in a situation where you tried to "pray" your sexual orientation away because people convinced you it was sinful.

Seth said:
This is part of the Treaty with Tripoli. These were NOT Washington's words despite his pic being there. The treaty was written by Joel Barlow, but it was read aloud and approved *unanimously* by the Senate in 1797 and represents clearly the feelings of our Founding Fathers at the beginning of the American government.
It's important to note that other religions condemn homosexuality as well.

HugoTheKokiri said:
You are who you are
and no one may change it beside's you

I am proud of being gay and that will never going to change.
Some people who attempt to convert over from homosexuality do so by their own free will. Not everyone is forced to do so.

Also, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but what is there to be proud of in homosexuality? If you find it natural as most people do heterosexuality, then it's something to be neither proud nor ashamed of, but regarded as a normal part of life.

It's important to note that other religions condemn homosexuality as well.
I don't see the relevance, some religious do and some don't. I am not saying Christianity is the only religion that does by any means, but it has more influence on American society then any other religion does which is why it is brought up. And not all Christian denominations believe that anyways, I know of at least one that supports marriage equality.

Also, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but what is there to be proud of in homosexuality? If you find it natural as most people do heterosexuality, then it's something to be neither proud nor ashamed of, but regarded as a normal part of life.
This I can agree with. I am heterosexual/straight but I am not proud of it or anything, it's just one small part of who I am.

Im sorry, i didnt mean that, im proud of being me, not for being gay or straight
I don't see the relevance, some religious do and some don't. I am not saying Christianity is the only religion that does by any means, but it has more influence on American society then any other religion does which is why it is brought up. And not all Christian denominations believe that anyways, I know of at least one that supports marriage equality.

This I can agree with. I am heterosexual/straight but I am not proud of it or anything, it's just one small part of who I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom