• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Evil Within Announced

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Earlier today Bethesda revealed the game they've been working on and, no, it's not Fallout 4 (thank God :P). Developer and Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami are working together to make The Evil Within, a survival horror game set for release next year on PS3, Xbox 360, PC and 'next-gen consoles'. It was announced alongside a live-action trailer.
[video=youtube_share;Zc-jvqJV4SI]http://youtu.be/Zc-jvqJV4SI[/video]

Some screenshots have also surfaced which show the actual game. You can have a goosey gander of those here.

Mikami himself had this to say about the game: ""We're incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within. My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action."

---

I'm gonna say this now before everyone else does. The Evil Within looks like the gameplay of modern Resident Evil mixed with a more Japanese style of horror. It's quite reminiscent of Silent Hill in a lot of ways. Looking at those screenshots you could easily mistake it for a Resident Evil 7 or Silent Hill 5. Mikami is a proven talent and working with other talented people like Bethesda and not (if you pardon the opinions) a talentless hack like Suda 51 I can see The Evil Within providing great gameplay and some unsettling horror. I look forward to seeing how this shapes up (and maybe a Wii U version, if only God were so kind) and along with games like The Walking Dead, ZombiU and The Last of Us, it could help make horror a popular genre in gaming again.

It looks good, I'll probably definitely pick this up when it comes out.

It looks like all the best bits of the best games combined like modern Resi (i liked RE6, for the record) and traditional Silent Hill with a bit of the movie series Hostel thrown in there to make sure it sells in the west. I have high hopes for this game. I've had to rely on Resident Evil for my horror fixes when my taste in horror itself is more surreal... while i do enjoy my time with Resi i still miss the weirdness of traditional Hill so this game looks like i'm gonna be able to get my fix after all.
Considering who the creator is i'm sure the game will be a decent one, its in good hands and soon it'll hopefully be in mine.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It looks like a fun time...unfortunately it isn't part of the Resident Evil series which I actually expected it would be based on the screenshots I've seen. I'm awaiting a gameplay trailer or something, but it really looks great. :3

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
From what I've seen and read, it looks a lot like the Resident Evil 4 we never had. The trailer is also a very strong indication of what to expect in terms of horror, so I'm excited. Just sucks to know that a lot of Resident Evil vets are working on this. What does that say about the future of Resident Evil? I doubt Capcom is capable of returning Resident Evil to its full glory, especially if this game sets a new standard. One can only hope. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on The Evil Within.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Looks so good. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to horror games but I always play them! I'm only a little bit negative that I don't see it being scarier than stuff like Amnesia, but I love almost everything Mikami has done, and I hope he can strike gold again. This could be another Resi 4 and just blow us all away! I hope so. Fingers crossed anyway.

Looks okay I guess. I'd have to see gameplay before I can judge, since the visuals are a much less important aspect and on their own they don't really tell much about the game... Could be alright. I hope it isn't too much like modern Resident Evil, since modern Resident Evil is, you know, ******. Bethesda is awesome at what they do, though, so it could be pretty alright. Hmm. Cautious, I guess would be how I would describe my anticipation of this game... but I will say that the Japanese style of horror is much more welcome to me than another ****ing zombie game. I reached the point where I no longer am interested by hordes of the undead about the time the first Left 4 Dead came out. So, getting back to the Silent Hill type that works a lot better with actual writing is very fresh to me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom