• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Elite

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I wasn't sure whether I should post this little story I've been working on lately just to get rid of boredom. But I have, though as of right now I don't even know if I will post it all. It's just an excerpt from my series that'll aim to be ten chapters long, and to showcase how I've transitioned from writing long chapters to much shorter ones. I'll be posting the rest of what I have [3 chapters] plus this intro, but do excuse me if I don't finish the rest, it's just that I will be working on other tales, and when that usually happens, I tend to forget about other stuff. My writing is still far from perfect, but I try my best. Please excuse any mistakes/typos you may find if you read.

Synopsis: A divinity is tasked with the defense of a magical portal that exists in Midgard, a world filled not only with humans, but many other races/creatures.

Rated PG-13

The Elite

An Excerpt from my God Wars Series

Prologue: Revival of the Fallen

Somewhere in Southern Pancracia, 2068​

The winged maiden materialized right in the middle of a lively forest. The sun shone brightly high above that day, and a light breeze blew from the west. Birds sang joyously on the trees all around while rodents and other animals went about their usual business seeking food or water, or just plainly enjoying the fine day in that place that they called home. Though the maiden had appeared right in the presence of several creatures, these seemed unbothered and unafraid of her presence. All was due to the heavenly maiden's invisible godly aura that surrounded her, which made the creatures feel at ease.

Helvetica was the maiden's name. She was a high servant of a goddess in Asgard. The maiden's first case of action was to look around at her surroundings. She liked what she saw here. Earth was dying in many regions, had been for quite some time due to many reasons, but the divinity, seeing how lush and beautiful this forest seemed, knew there was still hope.

Because Helvetica was from Asgard, she was classified as a demigoddess, not a god or goddess. Those two ranks belonged to the original sons and daughters of AO, the everlasting All-Father. Despite being a demigoddess, she was a godly being, only that she had a much lower rank than others and surely those who ruled the grand heavens. She had powers, too, some of which other Asgardians coveted.

Helvetica was tall at six feet and quite sturdy despite her lithe body. She was clad in a two-piece blue outfit that left her arms and legs quite visible. A pair of leather boots of the same color as her outfit complimented the outfit quite nicely, and to top it off, she wore a cloth hat of similar color on her head. She had long, blonde hair and a pair of of radiant blue eyes. The wings at her back were white and feathery, but she could make them vanish when not in need of them, for they were actually magical wings given to those deemed worthy by the superior gods, in this case, the wings had been given to her by the goddess she served. Besides the wings, her mistress had gifted her a fine silver sword. That piece hung at her hip within a golden scabbard that had many crescent moons as design on it.

Well, there is not a moment to lose, the demigoddess reminded herself. Knowing what she had come to do here, and knowing that time was really of the essence, from a brown leathery satchel that hung at the other side from her waist belt she brought out a small bag that contained several bones that she had collected from different parts of the world just minutes ago.

She opened the bag and threw the five bones on the ground right in front of her. She remained staring hard at them for a while, as if she wasn't sure that the next step she had to take was a good idea. Her hesitation was cause for her mistress's voice to come to her mind.

Do it, Helvetica. Why are you having second thoughts?

Helvetica realized she was being watched through a magical window.

"I..." the winged maiden hesitated, looking up at the sky as if shaken from having heard the voice of the goddess she served. "Forgive me, Lady Achelois. It's just that I have great fear and doubts. My fear is due to the fact that we're violating many ancient accords if we proceed with our action. And my doubts come from these beings you want to bring back from the dead. Will they be willing to help us out after all they have been through? Most have problems with beings that are not of their own race, but... I sensed a great deal of distress and anger in one of them, anger directed toward us."

We'll never know if they are willing to help out if you don't proceed. Besides, every second that you hesitate could cost us dearly. You know our situation is grim, and it will only worsen if we don't do anything about it. So dispatch your fear and doubts and carry on.

Helvetica lowered her head and seemed to shrink. But she soon realized that her mistress had spoken truthfully, and she felt bad because she kept on wasting precious time. That could get her in trouble, perhaps to the point of having her mistress deduct points and in the end lower her ranking. If that happened, Helvetica knew she'd be shaming her own House and family.

"Pardon my hesitation, Lady Achelois," she apologized to her superior, feeling quite embarrassed. "I'll carry on with my given mission."

There is nothing to be afraid of, or worried about, the voice in her head said. Just do it. If trouble comes from this, we'll deal with it adequately. But I am not about to hand that portal to Helion without a fight. What better than to humiliate his forces with some of the finest warriors Midgard has seen?

Helvetica nodded understandingly. Moments later, after she took a deep breath to steady herself, she said, "Alright."

She put her fears and doubts away and extended her arms forward and curled fingers. She pointed them at the bones and let her inner powers out. Currents of electricity of different colors left her fingers and hit the bones, making them dance wildly on the ground. Then the lightning was gone, and the high servant waited, her eyes on the bones.

For several long seconds nothing happened. But then, the ground all around the demigoddess began to crack badly, accompanied by a mighty roar that came from underneath the very surface. Knowing what was coming, the goddess levitated a few inches from the ground.

Then the earth shook violently in protest.

In many places, even far away from where the demigoddess currently was, the tremor was felt. Birds flew away scared, as did the rest forest creatures that had felt the tremor in the region. Trees swayed violently, some fell, and the ground itself cracked and fell in several different places. As all this happened all around her, Helvetica wasn't afraid since she knew this would come to happen, her superior, Lady Achelois, had warned her beforehand in Asgard what would be the result of using the awakening power she'd been let to use in order to fulfill the mission. Then it was over just as soon as it had begun; the shaking and the loud roar stopped. A great calm ensued, like that which comes after the storm has passed.

A great portion of the ground where the bones had been lying had been spared from the disaster, it remained intact, unaffected. The demigoddess lowered herself to the ground again, and she saw as the bones began to grow in size. Rays of light suddenly covered them and forced the demigoddess to look away and even forced her to shield herself using her hands, lest she become blind! Behind the light, great powers were at work. The bones turned into actual skeletal bodies. Soon those bony bodies were covered by tendons and muscle, and finally with skin and hair. The bones had turned into humanoids, into the living creatures they had once been before dying during their lifetime.

When the light finally faded, Helvetica returned her stare to the front. She found no bones but five bodies lying on the ground. Three were males, two were females. All were already clothed with the garments and battle gear they had been wearing when last they had been alive. The demigoddess easily became aware they were breathing with life again but appeared to be fully asleep.

"Tis done, Lady Achelois," Helvetica looked up at the sky with a huge smile on her face. "The warriors have returned to life."

No response came to her head in the form of her mistress speaking to her, but Helvetica believed Lady Achelois was very pleased with her.

Her task in the world of Midgard was partly done, but there was more she needed to do.

Well done, the gentle voice came to her mind again, and Helvetica knew that Lady Achelois was really proud of her work. You know the next step, onward with it.

"It shall be done, Lady of the Moon," the demigoddess said.

And without wasting time, she issued an order at the bodies: "Open your eyes and rise!"

*****​

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Chapter 1: Putting the Group Up to Speed

Southern Pancracia, 2068​

In the seconds that followed, the fallen warriors began to regain consciousness right before the winged maiden's eyes. Helvetica had just ordered them to open their eyes and to get up, though as they did this, neither of the five knew who they were or what they were doing there. Helvetica had yet to give them back their past memories of what their lives had been, so they were basically empty husks standing before her. The warriors stared blankly at her and she stared back at them in an investigative way. The servant of the Lady of the Moon scanned them all one by one. First she stared at an exotic-looking woman who wore an iron band with horns attached to it. She was wearing an eyepatch on the left eye, for she, indeed, had lost that eye in battle long ago. She was the shortest of the bunch at five feet even. Once she had been an empress of the mighty land of Yamato, territory now known in Midgard as Asaki. Right beside her stood a buffy creature who had black scales for skin and four arms. He was of the Rixacor race, one of several lizard-like races. Next to him stood the tallest being of the group, a seven-foot-tall red haired warrior clad in armor of the same color as his hair. He looked young but mean. On his cheeks he had imprinted the symbol of his ancient tribe, the Nefilím-2.

Beside the Nefilím-2 giant stood a short female who had tan skin, short dark hair, and dark eyes. She wore a golden, floral crown on her forehead. She looked way younger than the Asakian beauty and had black wings at her back, like those of a bat. Helvetica knew all too well about the Bahulu Drakes, dragon folk of old from another world, but she was quite fascinated to be standing right in front of one. At last, Helvetica's blue eyes came upon another short-statured being. He had a pair of dark, spiraling horns coming out at the top of his forehead, along with patches of dark scales that were visible on his arms and neck. He only had a few strands of dark hair on what appeared to be a bald head, but his face was concealed by an iron mask that he'd design to inspire fear on his enemies. Helvetica knew why the creature wore the mask. Truth be told, his face was quite ugly to the sight, for a magical experiment had gone awry in the past and he had burnt himself severely. The creature had been ashamed of his looks, thus he'd donned the mask.

Looking at the dragir, who happened to have dragon-blood as the female Bahulu drake did, except that his race differed in so many ways from that of the drake, Helvetica offered her silent respect to the creature and knew he would be the hardest to convince to help out with the mission she'd been entrusted to carry out through them. For it happened to be that the dragir was the one the demigoddess had known to have a great deal of anger directed toward her kind. But knowing she had to move on with her task, she took another deep breath and readied herself for what was to come.

Helvetica pointed her hands out toward them and allowed them to have their memories back. At first, they all appeared to be disoriented, some even doubled over and touched their heads with their hands; the giant even screamed as if he was in pain. But when the information that had been sealed off from them began sinking in and they realized who they were and that they were alive, they all began staring at each other in total confusion. Oblivious were they all to the fact that none of them were from the same lived era.

"What the hell?" the Nefilím-2 giant's deep voice was heard. "Where the hell am I? Who are you all?"

"Ekk!" the short drake cried out and even took a defensive stance when she noticed that right beside her to her left stood a dragir, a foe of her kind. "I warn you all now, I am very dangerous, so stay back if you don't want to get hurt."

"I can say the same to you all," the exotic Yamatoan woman cried from her place. "I'm highly ski..." She searched for her weapons at her waistline but came to know she wasn't carrying any, just her garments. "Hey, what the...?"

The rixacor merely looked at his four arms in wonder, then he touched his face, as if wanting to know whether that very moment was real or not. By looking around, he was the one who first saw the devastation all around them. "Whoa!" he jumped back a step. "What the hell happened all around us?"

But the others were too amazed and shocked that they had life again to notice or even care about what he had said.

Only one of the five had not spoken or seemed surprised of what was going on. His dark stare had always been on the winged creature standing a few feet in front of them. He seemed to want to devour her with his mere stare.

"Why?" The dragir asked the winged maiden. "Why am I alive again?"

"Alright, I'll explain what is going on, just give me your attention, the lot of you!" Helvetica shouted in an attempt to have the others' attention. She managed that, for the other warriors settled down and looked upon her. "You were all still dead just five minutes ago, but the High Lord of the Heavens has had pity upon you all. By his grace and my superior's orders, I have brought you back to life."

The warriors' whole attention was on her, for if anyone was going to give them answers, it was her.

"Every second I waste is wasted precious time where I come from," Helvetica told them as she began to pace before them. "So I will be brief with my explanation. I won't be repeating myself, so you better listen well."

No one said a word, the warriors just continued staring at her, the females with some wonder, and the Nefilím-2 giant even crossed his muscular arms.

"My name is Helvetica," the demigoddess presented herself, hands on her hips. "I come from Asgard, the realm of the gods. In case you don't know where that's at, it's high in the heavens, I assure you."

"I know where that's at," the dragir snapped and spat at the ground. Then, with his eyes glaring a terrible hate, he looked upon the short drake, who was standing right beside him to his right. "But I doubt any of these other fools, specially this short drake here, know anything about that."

The drake easily recognized the insult from the dragir, and because their races had actually always been enemies, she appeared to want to head on over and fight the horned being. Oh what a battle it would have been, even without their weapons, but it never took place because the demigoddess noticed the drake's intention and interrupted by saying, "Oh, stay where you are, fair dame Möt! Now is not the time for hostile actions. Master Minos, please, I beseech you, remain calm and spare your fellow earthlings any foul comments. Allow me a time to explain what I must, I beg of you."

The dragir snorted and just looked aside, and the winged maiden knew that's all she would get for an answer. At that instant, the drake moved away from her spot murmuring something and choosing to put distance between the masked dragir by letting the giant stand close to him instead. The tall man just looked at her weirdly as she went around him, then at the masked horned being. He agreed with himself that the mask the creature wore made him look eerie.

When everything settled down, the demigoddess breathed easy and went on.

"Simply explained, you all were brought back to life because we have use for you and your talents," Helvetica informed them. "The wars we good creatures have been waging against evil forces since the dawn of time has escalated quite a lot the last few years. Ragnarok, the ultimate battle to determine whether good or evil is wiped out entirely, is approaching, so our battles are not only being fought in the invisible realms or elsewhere, even this world you once called your home is embroiled with these troubles now. Many of our enemies have brought the war here. Now this place is worse than you ever knew before, and it surely is bound to get worse if we don't do anything about it."

Helvetica stopped to have a breather, and she could tell that she had their complete attention, even the dragir's, who looked at her with so much intensity behind the mask.

"So let me guess," it was the giant man that spoke then. "You have brought us back from the dead because you want us to fight in this war, right?"

"Please, Master Ezekiel, just hear me out, alright?" Helvetica bade. "The answers you all seek are coming, I promise."

"Very well, milady from Asgard," the giant nodded at her and even smiled. "Please, do continue."

Helvetica regarded the rest and once she found out that they were going to keep quiet, she went on.

"Two days hence, an army of evil creatures will be secretly heading toward Damask, a city located fifteen miles from here to the southeast," Helvetica revealed. "That, according to information we received from our spies approximately four days ago. Their purpose is to activate an ancient portal that lies hidden underneath the very ground of that city. That portal, if activated, will allow our enemies ample passage to Asgard, and closing it, for us, will be a terrible hassle since it has to be done on both ends, thus we must not let it happen. You are all elite warriors and were raised from the dead to help me handle the situation down here since my kin have their hands full in Asgard with other similar and much worse problems. You probably know what our mission is after all that I have revealed, right?"

Raising her right hand, the Asakian beauty replied to that, "You want us to prevent that from happening, to do battle with those creatures and keep them from activating that portal. Am I correct, or has my intellectuality become flawed?"

"Yes, Dame Sugata, you're correct," Helvetica answered, giving a few nods as well. "But before you get to thinking that we're just forcing you into this scenario because we're the gods and we call the shots, I assure you that we are not forcing any of you to help us with this. You have an important choice to make right now. Should you agree to help out and our mission is a success, the sovereign All-Father has many a reward for each and everyone of you. Should you not want to help, the All-Father respects your wish, but that means I will have no choice but to send you back this very moment to where ever it was that you were in your deep slumber in death. So, if you aren't willing to hear more of what I have to say and only wish to retire back to your deep sleep, please come forth."

Four of the risen warriors regarded each other curiously, all wondering whether any of them would step forth. The dragir just remained staring at the heavenly winged maiden with that tough look of his.

Despite not knowing each other, none of the warriors made a move to the front in the minute that ensued. And the goddess Helvetica felt so relieved seeing that none moved forth. She would have smiled, but the truth of the matter was that these were perilous times for everyone and she saw no need for that at that time.

Helvetica cleared her throat, and just as she was about to go on, the dragir suddenly stepped forth, his eyes on the winged maiden, who felt them like a burning flame upon her. The other warriors were quick to lay eyes on him as he walked toward her.

*****​

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Btw, Helvetica is my favorite font, like All-Time. When writing this excerpt, I chose to name one of the main characters like so. :)

Chapter 2: Convincing the Tough One

"I knew it," the drake smiled in victory when she saw the dragir walking forward. "Too much of a coward to help out with matters such as these, that one..."

Minos heard her clearly, as did Helvetica, and even though he felt furious at the taunt, Minos grit his teeth and ignored the little runt for the time being.

"Master Minos," Helvetica said sadly and with some evident disappointment showing in her semblance, for it appeared that her grandest would-be ally would be a no-go. "You wish not to take part in this mission, then?"

The masked dragir said nothing at first, just looked coldly at her for a while. Though she was a demigoddess, Helvetica couldn't help but shiver at that awful stare. So much hate was stored in that one.

But Helvetica had no time to waste, therefore she opened her lips in order to speak, but was cut short of that.

"Let me ask you a question, servant of the gods," the dragir snapped and even pointed at her. "Why has your kind finally shown interest in this world? Or is it that while I laid in my deep slumber your kind's been coming here to right all the wrongs suppurating this world?"

The demigoddess knew why the dragir had shot that question her way, she'd known of the dragir's discontent toward the gods even as she had collected his bone from the ground in the land of Dragiria. Yes, Minos the dragir had always held a deep hatred toward the gods. It had been no wonder that he'd seemed to want to devour the divinity with his mere eyes the whole time.

"I don't have time for this," Helvetica said, waving a hand in displeasure. "The matter at hand is of the utmost urgency and I cannot waste time clearing whatever questions you may have concerning a whole different matter, master dragir—"

"Then send me back to my resting place!" the dragir shouted angrily, startling a few of the present, even Helvetica. "You gods take the liberty of using us as you see fit, even after death, yet you don't possess the common courtesy to answer a simple question. You gods deal with your troubles yourselves, then."

The goddess felt hurt and really embarrassed after hearing his stinging words. She didn't judge him though, for she knew why he felt that hatred, that rancor: Minos had always been discontent with all the unjust occurrences of the world, and that discontent had only grown to epic proportions after he was a witness to the death of his soon-to-be wife and many of his village friends, and he had blamed the gods for all of it, for letting events such as that one occur. Soon after, feeling that great anger, that great sorrow, that vile wound in his heart, the dragir had been searching for ways to reach the world of the gods in order to enact his revenge upon them, even if only on just a few of them before he was put down. With great magic and ancient tomes at his disposal, he had tried opening portals, but always had failed. During one such experiment, he'd set up something wrong and had ended up burning his face severely when an explosion had sent him flying against the stone wall of a fort that was his home. He'd died twenty years later in the dangerous northern jungles of his home realm, where it was that he had chosen to go die after giving up in his pursuit for revenge after so many failures. Sitting against the trunk of a large tree, he'd sat there for many hours, challenging the gods to show up and prove their existence to him. No god ever showed up, but a mighty predator, a sabertooth, had. Once it had found him, the enormous beast closed in and devoured him for a meal.

"Show some respect to our superiors, you puny horned being," the giant cried in anger. "She just gave you your life back."

"Yes, you should be grateful," the Asakian shouted. "I know I am."

The dragir turned around to regard whoever it was that had spoken. He ignored the woman but quickly extended his right arm out and attempted to cast a spell the giant's way, but his magical power, that magical essence he had once possessed, failed to come out.

"What? Oh, poor you. You've forgotten you have no powers?" The giant teased. The drake laughed loudly after hearing the giant's words, and Minos only became more irate at their taunting.

"Foolish overgrown humani," the dragir said as he looked at the tall man. "Be glad I don't have the powers or the weapons I once did, otherwise you'd just be a black spot on the ground, one which I'd too gladly go and spit on."

"Ouch," the rixacor ridiculed the giant even further. "Surely you're not going to take that from him, are you?"

Ezekiel regarded the dragir first, then the winged maiden.

"Can I kill him?" he asked the demigoddess.

Minos blurted out laughing. "Kill me, he says. He surely doesn't know what he's asking for."

Helvetica lowered her sight and touched her face with her hand as she shook her head in disbelief at what was happening.

"Please, allow me to deal with this... creature, in your stead, Lady Helvetica," Ezekiel said as he came forth. "I always was good at shutting the hell people up. Besides, I never liked dragir anyway..."

"I never liked your kind either," the dragir grinned and prepared himself as he saw the brute approaching. "Always feeling superior than the rest creatures of this world when in truth it's your pack of rats you call your race who are the weakest."

"Hope you enjoyed that insult, you masked fool," the giant only sped up. "for it was your last in this your second lifetime. I'll be sending you back to your deep slumber once again."

"Not if I send you first," the dragir was not afraid of the tall man. He went forth too, but before he even knew it, he felt himself going limp in his run. So too did the giant freeze in his tracks, kept in place by some sort of invisible freezing spell.

"What the...?" Ezekiel felt confused.

Helvetica looked up at the sky and whispered at her superior, "I told you something like this would come to happen."

Carry on, dear Helvetica, came the female voice in her head. Everything will be just fine.

"Let me go, Lady Helvetica!" the giant plead from his place. "I'll teach that horned being some manners. He badly needs them."

The dragir was disappointed for having been frozen in place, but he said nothing.

The demigoddess came to stand between the two, then.

"When I was given the mission, I knew something like this was going to happen," she eyed Minos first, then up at the giant. "I don't need this kind of crap, and neither do you help the cause with this kind of behavior."

"I already said you could send me back to my resting place," the dragir reminded her. "But apparently, it's this foolish giant of a man who wants to go there first. Unfreeze me so that I can oblige to his wish and teach him, and those others that are watching over there, that you don't need weapons to kill someone."

Hearing his final words, the drake raised an eyebrow and took note of that.

"Pfft!" the giant laughed. "You couldn't lay a scratch on me with your bare hands, fool. Many were the men I slayed for less offenses. Lady Helvetica, for some reason you didn't revive us with our weapons at the ready, but I beg you to give me mine now so I can, at the very least, humble this... creature."

"Nobody is getting anything," Helvetica said. "Unless you agree to help out. If you don't, then you're going back to your slumber this very instant."

"Unbind me then," Ezekiel said right away, too afraid to go back to his death state. "I will surely help you out. I'll devote my life to the cause, I swear it."

Helvetica deemed his words sincere. She closed her eyes and whispered a simple incantation. The tall man fell down face-first to the ground with a grunt, much to the dragir's satisfaction. From his place, Minos stared down at the fallen brute and grinned. He would have said something as to how stupid the man was for allowing himself to fall down, but he let it go.

"And you?" Helvetica asked the dragir, taking his whole attention. "Shall I waste time unfreezing you? Or do you really wish to return to your resting place? Tell me frankly because I will do it now, and I surely as heck can replace you with another fallen warrior. Though I confess, I was hoping you'd help me and the others out..."

She extended her right hand out and pointed it at the dragir. From the tip of her fingers, lightning began to dance wildly.

"What's it going to be, Master Minos?"

Minos noticed in her semblance that she didn't want to do it, that she didn't want to send him back to his death state. As she had confessed to him, she really had wanted to have his help in this matter.

Minos was troubled within, then. He didn't say a word, but upon seeing the fine goddess's face, he knew she was as much troubled as he was, possibly more.

"You said the mighty All-Father has rewards for those who help?" Minos asked roughly.

"Indeed," Helvetica replied. "If we succeed with the mission."

Minos was thoughtful for a little while. After all his failed attempts at trying to enter the world of the gods had ended with him throwing his life away, and now to know that there was a way to get there, there were so many possibilities swirling on his mind.

"Then unfreeze me," the dragir barely whispered a few seconds later.

Taking that as a way of him saying he would help, Helvetica felt a huge wave of relief within and didn't hesitate a moment to undo the binding spell. The dragir would have fallen to the ground like the tall man, but he was agile enough and only stumbled forth but kept his balance.

"I'm not as clumsy as other poor dastards," he looked upon the giant, who had been dusting off grass and dirt from his clothing and armor.

"Why you little bi..." the giant made a move toward him, or started to, but...

"Enough already!" Helvetica shouted. "I knew you lot would have a difficult time getting along. But you will have to." She looked upon all the others and pointed at them all. "You all will be working together with me, not against each other. Put your pity differences aside and lay to rest any anger or resentment you may have towards each other. You all are earthlings, residents of this beautiful world. If you don't come together in these dire times, then know that Midgard is bound to suffer the same fate other worlds did when the enemy destroyed all their residents and made of them their own dwelling place."

"I'll help out, but you know what it is that I want," Minos walked away and came to a stop a few meters later. Hands on his hips, he stared at the devastation all around him, wondering what had happened there. Seeing the fallen trees and the cracks on the ground, he believed the land had experienced some kind of tremor. From where he stood, he added, "There is no way you cannot grant me my fondest desire, Lady Helvetica."

"I know not what you want," Helvetica revealed the truth. "However, the Lord All-Father does. I am sure that if we complete the mission successfully, He'll give you what you most desire, Master Minos, and then some." Then, to the others, she said, "And He'll reward all of you with what you want as well."

"Then let us do this," the Asakian said, punching her left palm with her right balled fist several times. "Let us protect that portal."

"Yeah," the rixacor joined in with his deep low voice. "We're just wasting time here."

"Right you are, master rixacor," the demigoddess nodded and then extended her right hand aside and out came a magical light that hit the ground. A large golden chest materialized there.

"What is that?" Möt the drake asked, surely astonished of the large chest. Hearing her words, Minos turned around to see what was going on behind him.

"Inside that chest are your belongings," the servant of the Lady of the Moon revealed. "Take only what is yours and one of the satchels."

The warriors hustled to get to the chest, but Minos lazily walked there, for he really was not in a hurry. He knew he'd get his belongings anyway.

*****​

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Here is the last part I have written. I don't know if I will add more to it. If I do, I'll just post chapters when I have them done.

Chapter 3: Ready to Move Out

The Asakian was the first to reach the chest and bring her stuff out, along with a satchel that had her very own name written on it with silver letters that seemed to be glowing.

"What's in the satchels?" Sugata looked upon the winged maiden before unbuttoning it.

"Provisions that you'll need for the mission," Helvetica answered.

"Any food in them?" the rixacor asked away as he inspected his very own satchel. "I'm feeling hungry already."

"No, no food, master rixacor," Helvetica crossed her arms and smiled. "Asgardian food, I'm afraid, is not meant for mortal beings such as you all. I'm covered when it comes to that, but you'll have to provide for your own selves."

"Shouldn't be a problem, then," the lizard brought out from within the chest a long, squared, toothy blade that not many creatures would have been able to wield with two hands. He easily hoisted it with one hand and boasted, "I'll hunt me a bear moments hence with Paprika here and eat it all."

"All of it?" the drake asked the rixacor as she approached the chest.

"Yes, all of it, my tiny friend," the rixacor said with plenty of pride in his deep voice. "We, of the Geko tribe, have huge appetites, if you must know."

"I must see that for myself to believe it," Minos arrived near the chest and waited for his turn to come to get his belongings.

"And you shall, my horned brother, you shall," the rixacor smiled at the dragir. "Although I might just share some of it with yourself."

"With me? Why?" Minos asked toughly, surely wanting to know why the rixacor felt so generous. The others paid attention to what the rixacor would reply.

"Well we're all going to be friends fighting together," the rixacor replied. "And though anyone here hardly knows each other, sharing is a good way to start down the road to friendship."

"Well, you're aiming to set foot on the wrong road with me," Minos laughed crudely. "I don't keep friends, scaly one. Tis nothing personal, just... friends tend to betray in some form or other, that's why I don't bother. So yes, away with your damn friendship."

The rixacor saddened and lowered his head. Helvetica, too, thought the dragir's reply a very cold one, but she said nothing.

"I'll be your friend, rixacor," the drake was the one who quickly smiled the lizard's way when she noticed how his face had turned gloomy after the dragir's words. "Not all of us have a dark heart around here..."

The dragir stared intensely at the drake and just gave her a slight nod that she barely registered.

"Oh really, dame...was it Möt?" the rixacor asked even as Möt gazed at the dragir in return.

"Correct," the drake gave him her attention. "Pardon me, but what is your name?"

"You and everyone else can call me Batka, for that is my name, or tis short for my real one. I doubt anyone here would be able to speak it if I say it out aloud."

"Try me," the giant shot from his place, wanting a challenge. He'd been inspecting his two-headed silver axe, for he didn't know how much time had elapsed since last he'd held it.

"Batkabeitairvalos-Uringati-Sayldalon," the rixacor said. "Now it's your turn, very tall one."

"Batkabei... whatever," Ezekiel got lost midway and laughed, making the Asakian, the rixacor, and the drake laugh as well. Minos was all quiet, just looking as if he was bored.

The group kept talking amongst themselves, but Minos, after noticing that Helvetica had been staring intently at him, decided to lean in to the chest to grab his weapons. He was the final one who needed to retrieve his belongings, anyway, so he decided to get on with it.

Upon having touched their weapons, those that had had the power to cast magic were given that power again. Minos, being one of them, felt the surge of great power coursing through his body once again. How great he felt then, as if his whole being was being recharged. Besides his inner magic, he had two weapons back in his grasp, weapons of tremendous power. One was a sword he called Keita, which in the Dragirian tongue meant cutter. The other weapon was a magical pistol that he had unearthed from Dragirian ground back in the days when he had been a mere teenager.

Just by looking at the pistol as Minos held it aloft and seemed to be revising it, Helvetica could see and feel a very weird aura radiating from it. She didn't understand anything about the aura then, she had never seen an aura like that before, and she had seen many, but she dismissed it with a shrug of her shoulders. If the All-Father had allowed the dragir to have those weapons back, everything was surely fine. Who was she to doubt a decision made by the All-Father?

"So are you all ready to move on, then?" the Asgardian asked when they all seemed to be ready.

When the group laid eyes upon her, the warriors noticed she had changed her looks. The wings were gone, so Helvetica looked like any normal human being.

Minos said nothing in response, but the others either said yes, or nodded.

"Tis time to get a move on, then," Helvetica told them with a clap of her hands. "We'll head Southeast and surely make it to Damask before nightfall. You know what you have to help me do once there: Defend the city and don't let the enemy invade it and activate the portal. If we do that, all will be good."

At her place, it was Sugata who raised her arm to the air.

"Yes, Dame Sugata?" Helvetica spotted her.

"I just want to know one thing, Lady Helvetica," Sugata said timidly. "What happens if we fail? What will happen to us, I mean?"

Helvetica cleared her throat roughly but said nothing, just stared hard at the Asakian.

"We'll surely die," Minos shot from his place just as he spun his pistol several times and then holstered it at the side of his hip, making most eyes fall upon him. "Isn't that a little too obvious, Asakian?"

"Asakian?" Sugata asked angrily. "Who are you calling Asakian, dragir?"

"Well, aren't you from that exotic race to the south?" Minos replied hotly, though on the inside he liked the way the Asakian had replied.

"I am, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm Yamatoan. And, h-how can you be so sure that that'll happen to us?"

Minos rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Really?" Minos snapped at the Yamatoan. "You will make me explain? Damned be you for that, you one-eyed freak. Alright, listen up well, weakling. We've been tasked with defending the city, with keeping that damn portal untouched, undisturbed. If we fail to do that, we'll most likely be dead."

Sugata licked her lips nervously and looked upon Helvetica, who gave her a simple, slight nod, supporting the dragir's given answer to her doubts.

"Will it be tough?" the Yamatoan asked, unable to keep her voice steady. "The fighting, I mean."

"Tougher for sure than the last battle you lost," Helvetica replied. The demigoddess had referred to the final battle in which the Yamatoan had lost her life to a bunch of her own servants.

Sugata gulped but said nothing more. She looked at her newly made allies and took heart in the fact that they had to be strong beings, if they were being used by a divinity for a tough mission.

"Any other questions before we depart?" Helvetica eyed the others.

There were so many questions the group wanted to ask, but one final question someone wanted an answer to came out.

"What's on your mind, Master Batka?"

"How tough, really, will be the battling that awaits us?"

Helvetica realized that the group, or at least some of them, were uncertain of the mission, of how tough it was going to be defending that portal. They had fears even before the battle had begun, and she knew she had to do something to calm them down.

"Don't think it will be easy," the demigoddess declared. "The enemy is strong, thus forces of great power will be coming our way. We're sure to encounter even creatures your eyes have never beheld, and what you find in that city might shake you and not be to your liking since you've all been dead for quite a long time. But fight at my side the good fight, give it all you've got, do what you did best in your previous life and things might just work out for all of us. I, myself, have a bit of dread in me since I don't know exactly what to expect. But I sincerely thank you all for having agreed to help me and my kin out. I am glad you are all on my side, and all I can say before we depart is... Godspeed to us all."

*****​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom