• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Effects of Flaws in the Zelda Series

The flaws are what make the series so great in my opinion. I think that because of the flaws in Zelda games, it has the opportunity to improve and always keep the fans coming back. I also believe that because its flawed, it keeps fans coming back to see if the new Zelda game has improved on those past flaws. Basically, its more like an endless cycle. The Zelda series keeps making games with flaws, improves upon them in the next game while adding new systems so that the game keeps feeling fresh in order for the fans can enjoy it even more. Make a new game, keep this same structure and boom, you have your self an addicting game that will never get old and always keeps fans coming back. Personally, I believe the flaws are what make the fans keep coming back and what makes the series so great and new. Flaws can be considered a bad thing because they mean something isn't as we want to be are, but on the other hand they can also mean its a good thing because it gives room to improve. If Zelda was perfect in all aspects, what would we have to look forward too, another story, another "perfect" game? Yeah, I can see that NOT working, personally it would feel dull to me and I would easilly get bored of the series. What do you think, tell me your thoughts on the effects of the Zelda series flaws.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
When the flaws are minor, sure. However, when there are games with major issues (AoL, WW, TP, PH), then there's a problem that needs to be resolved. As a developer, you should still want to strive for perfection. If you become complacent, your games start to suffer for it by becoming not as good overall, even if they're still really good (TP being a great example).

I believe that most of these flaws so to speak aren't inherent problems with the formula but rather disturbances created by the lack of powerful hardware. The franchise has always endeavored to combine greater realism with its fantasy realms in order to create a more compelling experience. Control has been one facet through which Nintendo has been able to alleviate the problem. Bumpers and extra buttons on SNES allowed for quicker access to items over its eight bit predecessors; the analog allowed for fluid 3D motion on the N64; motion controls have put the player in Link's shoes for the first time.

The most obvious method Nintendo should pursue in propelling the series forward is observing triple AAA competitors and modeling Zelda off their efforts. Despite what Vigil Games maintains Darksiders is a blatant rip-off of Zelda and God of War but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Introducing a competitive aspect to next generation installments as well as a dungeon creator/level sharer would not only allow for greater game longevity especially with longer development periods but also provide an efficient method for fans to provide feedback in order for the Kyoto based company to craft an even richer environment.

I believe that most of these flaws so to speak aren't inherent problems with the formula but rather disturbances created by the lack of powerful hardware. The franchise has always endeavored to combine greater realism with its fantasy realms in order to create a more compelling experience. Control has been one facet through which Nintendo has been able to alleviate the problem. Bumpers and extra buttons on SNES allowed for quicker access to items over its eight bit predecessors; the analog allowed for fluid 3D motion on the N64; motion controls have put the player in Link's shoes for the first time.

The most obvious method Nintendo should pursue in propelling the series forward is observing triple AAA competitors and modeling Zelda off their efforts. Despite what Vigil Games maintains Darksiders is a blatant rip-off of Zelda and God of War but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Introducing a competitive aspect to next generation installments as well as a dungeon creator/level sharer would not only allow for greater game longevity especially with longer development periods but also provide an efficient method for fans to provide feedback in order for the Kyoto based company to craft an even richer environment.

So if Nintendo used better hardware, and better systems, then that would solve most flaws with the series?

So if Nintendo used better hardware, and better systems, then that would solve most flaws with the series?

Not necessarily. Nintendo proved with the Wii that under powered hardware can provide for compelling experiences as the Super Mario Galaxy series and Skyward Sword serve to showcase. The 360 and PS3 may boast gorgeous HD graphic however the majority of their lineup is composed of first person shooters. By opting for unique motion control over better visuals Nintendo was able to cater to all walks of gamer and produce its best selling home console yet.

That said the Japanese developer has long been lampooned for being too traditionalist recently rejecting to work on such platforms as iOS and Android. With its entrance into the high definition arena Nintendo can not only continue to change the way we play but also embrace online interaction via its Nintendo Network. The first stepping stones are laid out with Mii Verse but it's going to take more than that to refresh the franchise hence my suggestion for a dungeon creator/level sharer for more direct fan feedback.

With respect to story there will never be a single approach which appeals to all. Some prefer to dive straight into the action and continue romping through a fast paced adventure along the lines of Ocarina of Time whereas others prefer a more coherent narrative and play on the usual formula Majora's Mask style. By conforming to the company's plan for the future-as stated in interviews-by reducing introductions the path for a more captivating experience on that front is already being paved.

The flaws are what make the series so great in my opinion. I think that because of the flaws in Zelda games, it has the opportunity to improve and always keep the fans coming back. I also believe that because its flawed, it keeps fans coming back to see if the new Zelda game has improved on those past flaws. Basically, its more like an endless cycle. The Zelda series keeps making games with flaws, improves upon them in the next game while adding new systems so that the game keeps feeling fresh in order for the fans can enjoy it even more. Make a new game, keep this same structure and boom, you have your self an addicting game that will never get old and always keeps fans coming back. Personally, I believe the flaws are what make the fans keep coming back and what makes the series so great and new. Flaws can be considered a bad thing because they mean something isn't as we want to be are, but on the other hand they can also mean its a good thing because it gives room to improve. If Zelda was perfect in all aspects, what would we have to look forward too, another story, another "perfect" game? Yeah, I can see that NOT working, personally it would feel dull to me and I would easilly get bored of the series. What do you think, tell me your thoughts on the effects of the Zelda series flaws.

I notice you didn't mention what the flaws (in your opinion) in Zelda are...

Even so as a Zelda fan and a media literate gamer like most of my friends here Zelda is its own problem. We all know that one Zelda game is the BETA version for the next and Nintendo build off of the one that came before it (sometimes, and not in obvious ways, and even then sometimes it can feel as if nothing has changed at all) but that is what i hate about Zelda. Yes all sequels build on the predecessor but with each Zelda game there is always time for improvement the next time around and when those elements aren't improved and new elements come in then more and more elements need to be focused upon next time, and for me nintendo has been disappointing me with the Zelda franchise in all of its forms for a good long time. SS was the biggest offender in what needs fixed next time and what wasn't fixed this time (and what was working fine but then got broken) but i won't go into SS here. My point is that the Zelda franchise doesn't behave like a normal progressive video game franchise and the content is slipping because Nintendo focus on the hardware and HOW the game is played and perhaps with the WiiU and the magical qualities the Gampepad may have, then the content of the game may suffer again. One never can tell.

I notice you didn't mention what the flaws (in your opinion) in Zelda are...

Even so as a Zelda fan and a media literate gamer like most of my friends here Zelda is its own problem. We all know that one Zelda game is the BETA version for the next and Nintendo build off of the one that came before it (sometimes, and not in obvious ways, and even then sometimes it can feel as if nothing has changed at all) but that is what i hate about Zelda. Yes all sequels build on the predecessor but with each Zelda game there is always time for improvement the next time around and when those elements aren't improved and new elements come in then more and more elements need to be focused upon next time, and for me nintendo has been disappointing me with the Zelda franchise in all of its forms for a good long time. SS was the biggest offender in what needs fixed next time and what wasn't fixed this time (and what was working fine but then got broken) but i won't go into SS here. My point is that the Zelda franchise doesn't behave like a normal progressive video game franchise and the content is slipping because Nintendo focus on the hardware and HOW the game is played and perhaps with the WiiU and the magical qualities the Gampepad may have, then the content of the game may suffer again. One never can tell.

Well, as for the flaws of which Zelda already has, I felt that if I spoke about them I wouldn't fully embody the purpose of my post. We have already heard tons of opinions and facts on the flaws of the series so I felt that me giving my thoughts on them wouldn't help me make my point. Now Nintendo has been lacking on certain qualities that I feel are essential to the progress and improvement of the Zelda franchise but they still time after time again keep making good games. I personally like it when Nintendo experimens with more technological ideas but I also feel they have been doing that to much. I think Nintendo needs to think less on how they use newer technology to improve the gameplay, and more on the actual quality of the game. If they can do both, even better but I do feel they have to take other things into account, things that Nintendo has incorparated in previous Zelda games that the newer games have abated in.

Not necessarily. Nintendo proved with the Wii that under powered hardware can provide for compelling experiences as the Super Mario Galaxy series and Skyward Sword serve to showcase. The 360 and PS3 may boast gorgeous HD graphic however the majority of their lineup is composed of first person shooters. By opting for unique motion control over better visuals Nintendo was able to cater to all walks of gamer and produce its best selling home console yet.

That said the Japanese developer has long been lampooned for being too traditionalist recently rejecting to work on such platforms as iOS and Android. With its entrance into the high definition arena Nintendo can not only continue to change the way we play but also embrace online interaction via its Nintendo Network. The first stepping stones are laid out with Mii Verse but it's going to take more than that to refresh the franchise hence my suggestion for a dungeon creator/level sharer for more direct fan feedback.

With respect to story there will never be a single approach which appeals to all. Some prefer to dive straight into the action and continue romping through a fast paced adventure along the lines of Ocarina of Time whereas others prefer a more coherent narrative and play on the usual formula Majora's Mask style. By conforming to the company's plan for the future-as stated in interviews-by reducing introductions the path for a more captivating experience on that front is already being paved.

I personaly think that Zelda should incorparate other ideas that have the potential to improve upon the franchise, but thats a matter of debate in the Nintendo corporation.

If a Zelda game has flaws it makes me loose hope in the series. :lol: That is the only effect of a Zelda flaw. It's all about reaching your goals and going for perfection. :lol:

If a Zelda game has flaws it makes me loose hope in the series. :lol: That is the only effect of a Zelda flaw. It's all about reaching your goals and going for perfection. :lol:

Well if Nintendo reached perfection, where could they go from there? You can't improve perfection, theres no where to go but down. It may also mean the franchise stops there because theres noting to improve, thus the series will die. Its good to strive for it, but there must always be flaws, like it or not. The effects of flaws in the Zelda franchise must be to help improve further games and continue the series to new and more addicting games.

Well if Nintendo reached perfection, where could they go from there? You can't improve perfection, theres no where to go but down. It may also mean the franchise stops there because theres noting to improve, thus the series will die. Its good to strive for it, but there must always be flaws, like it or not. The effects of flaws in the Zelda franchise must be to help improve further games and continue the series to new and more addicting games.

I disagree.

Video games are creative works, and so they're more complicated than 'bad' or 'good'. For starters, people will disagree on whether certain things are flaws or not: for example, a lot of people enjoyed the motion control in SS, but I had an awful time with it. If you look outside of gameplay, things start to get even more divisive: Midna, for example, seems to gain as much hate as she does love.

More importantly, though, the existence of flawless games wouldn't stop people making more games. I personally believe that Portal and VVVVVV in their 2-3 hour campaigns are without fault - they achieve everything the developers set out to do incredibly well. But it's not like I beat Portal and then gave up on other games, because there's other experiences to be had in gaming and playing Portal and then going to these games afterwards doesn't diminish the quality of other games. In fact, I prefer OoT to both these games, even though OoT is riddled with flaws. This is because, again, video games are creative works, and so people are willing to overlook flaws if the experience they get out of the game is good enough.

Finally, if Nintendo did make a flawless game, they'd not stop making games. I mean, they created the most critically acclaimed game of all time fourteen years ago and that's not stopped them!

I disagree.

Video games are creative works, and so they're more complicated than 'bad' or 'good'. For starters, people will disagree on whether certain things are flaws or not: for example, a lot of people enjoyed the motion control in SS, but I had an awful time with it. If you look outside of gameplay, things start to get even more divisive: Midna, for example, seems to gain as much hate as she does love.

More importantly, though, the existence of flawless games wouldn't stop people making more games. I personally believe that Portal and VVVVVV in their 2-3 hour campaigns are without fault - they achieve everything the developers set out to do incredibly well. But it's not like I beat Portal and then gave up on other games, because there's other experiences to be had in gaming and playing Portal and then going to these games afterwards doesn't diminish the quality of other games. In fact, I prefer OoT to both these games, even though OoT is riddled with flaws. This is because, again, video games are creative works, and so people are willing to overlook flaws if the experience they get out of the game is good enough.

Finally, if Nintendo did make a flawless game, they'd not stop making games. I mean, they created the most critically acclaimed game of all time fourteen years ago and that's not stopped them!

You make a good point, but those flaws that people differ on, I wouldn't called them flaws but more like questionable aspects. A flaw would be something that is clearly seen as a mistake, or a problem that is without solution. I think that these if these flaws were to be corrected well, it may not be perfect but it would be close. I do agree on the fact that Nintendo would stop making games just becaused they peaked, it wouldn't make sense and I sure that many fans would be outraged which would cause dramatic problems for Nintendo but I still believe that if you peak, you can only go down from there which in my opinion isn't better then improving on each new game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All flaws within Zelda do to my person is make me hate the game in question with a hate that almost never ceases. Skyward Sword being the prime example, of course. When I see "oh hey, this game did this wrongly", I initially think 'oh well, it'll probably get fixed in the next game'. But, what if it gets WORSE in the next game? And progressively worse still in the NEXT game? That's when trends start to kick in, and it isn't likely Nintendo will recuperate from these flaws, or rather, personal disappointments that I have with some Zelda games.

Still, you have a huge point there about 'perfect' games, Kizo. For example, Ocarina of Time. When one sees that game and is absolutely in love with it, they come to expect another OoT. From there, we might get a TWW, a TP or hell even an SS. This isn't how we should treat AAA titles. Instead, whenw e get a 'perfect' game, we should love it yes but still be open to different ideas. Flawless games don't need to be repeated in physical structure, only in spirit. That's why, in my opinion, MM is on par with OoT, and those two are on par with ALttP. ;)

All flaws within Zelda do to my person is make me hate the game in question with a hate that almost never ceases. Skyward Sword being the prime example, of course. When I see "oh hey, this game did this wrongly", I initially think 'oh well, it'll probably get fixed in the next game'. But, what if it gets WORSE in the next game? And progressively worse still in the NEXT game? That's when trends start to kick in, and it isn't likely Nintendo will recuperate from these flaws, or rather, personal disappointments that I have with some Zelda games.

Still, you have a huge point there about 'perfect' games, Kizo. For example, Ocarina of Time. When one sees that game and is absolutely in love with it, they come to expect another OoT. From there, we might get a TWW, a TP or hell even an SS. This isn't how we should treat AAA titles. Instead, whenw e get a 'perfect' game, we should love it yes but still be open to different ideas. Flawless games don't need to be repeated in physical structure, only in spirit. That's why, in my opinion, MM is on par with OoT, and those two are on par with ALttP. ;)

When they dont improve on an obivious problem, then yes it is quite annoying and frustrating. I do think that if you change a ideas and other aspects while keeping the game nearly perfect, it makes it a great game that can still progress. Just like your examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom