• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Ear Design in Skyward Sword

Sabel27

Advanced Ocarinaist
I am not sure if this has been pointed out on another thread, so I am terribly sorry if it has.

I would like to point out something really quickly. I have noticed that there is a difference in design between Link and Zelda’s ears. Zelda’s ears look more like Ocarina of Time’s ears, while Link’s ears look significantly different. Here are some pictures for comparison:

Zelda.png

Link.png

There is something about Link’s ears that just doesn’t look very… Hylian. To me, they look more like Ganondorf’s ears than they do Hylian ears. Here is another picture for comparison:

Ganondorf.png

Do you see what I mean? I don’t know if this will be part of the storyline in Skyward Sword, or if it is simply just a design that has no meaning at all. I can’t really determine much since there’s a lot of Skyward Sword that hasn’t been revealed yet. What do you guys think?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I noticed that too, but I don't think it's that important. I'm sure that in the Zelda universe, there are some characters that have different versions of ears (not counting the regular human ears, of course). Maybe it's because of gender differences. ;D

Well not everyone has the same ears... My ears look like the new link's ears! But smaller haha, and I'm sure yours don't. Im pretty sure they just wanted to make every character unique in design, including their ears.

Exactly. I don't think the focus of really any part of the story will revolve around the character's ears.
The Legend of Zelda: Cartilage of the Gods. :P

Yeah, there's no way this is significant. As Zelda games have better and better graphics, it's more likely that we'll see subtle differences in the appearance of characters who are of the same race. That's just basic common stuff in real life, though. People have different physical traits. I wouldn't read into this.

hylians and gerudos are the same, is just racism :lol:, ok no xD

I also noticed this (the ears difference), I think zelda really looks like Alttp zelda

351px-Link_To_The_Past_Remake_-_Princess_Zelda.png

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
As stated before, I doubt that the story revolves around the characters ears, I think it is mearly a design choice...

I just noticed Link's ears earlier today while browsing web images of Skyward Sword.

I think they're just a design choice. The important thing is that his ears are still pointy, so he's still Hylian, and there's no huge conspiracy to think otherwise. There's also no reason to equate pointy, yet smaller ears to the lack of or inability to hear the Goddesses, so yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been pointed out it is more then likely just a difference in design. We will more then likely see more of this as Nintendo consoles become more powerful. I would only start worrying if they didn't have pointy ears as that would be a huge change as Link and Zelda have always had pointy ears, plus the stories of past games have hinted that they will always have them.

There's also no reason to equate pointy, yet smaller ears to the lack of or inability to hear the Goddesses, so yeah.
While on this note, I'd like to point out that only one obscure NPC actually states that the ears allow Hylians to hear the Goddesses, and that it's clearly a sort of legend or myth; no one goes around talking to the deity of their fricken' religion. It's very possible we will never actually see any relevance to this. It's just an extension of the significance of the Hylian race.

Luigidude64

Suzune Supporter
Why does it matter what their ears look like, so what is zelda's ears are a bit large and pointy, and that link's ears are small and round, to me, I think Hylian's are born with fairly large ears and as they get older, the grow into their "dumbo" ears, of course that's just my opinion. . .

While on this note, I'd like to point out that only one obscure NPC actually states that the ears allow Hylians to hear the Goddesses, and that it's clearly a sort of legend or myth; no one goes around talking to the deity of their fricken' religion. It's very possible we will never actually see any relevance to this. It's just an extension of the significance of the Hylian race.

I figured such was the case, but it's amazing how many people see the ability to hear the Goddesses as an innate Hylian ability that they all share. :)

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
Guys, I know what Nintendo is trying to tell us...Ganon(dorf) is Link's father:O, lol JK but yeah I noticed that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom