• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Deku Mask

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Well, as the title says, this thread is about the Deku Mask, specifically.

Let me start with an introduction of sorts.
As some of you know, I've been doing a 100 % Run of MM.
I haven't played it in like 2 years or so, and got the urge to pick it up.
I'm pretty much done with the game, as I have everything except the Fierce Deity Mask(wich will be done tonight).

The whole thing is, who killed the Deku Buttler's Son?
I am pretty sure that it is his spirit that is inside the mask, considering that all transformation Masks(probably even the Fierce Deity Mask) contain the Spirit of someone(Zora Mask contained the spirit of Mikau, the Guitarrist of the Indigo-Go's, the Zora band, and the Goron Mask contained the spirit of Darmani, the Goron Leader of the Snow Head Tribe).

We know how both Mikau and Darmani died, but we never get to know how did the Deku Butler's son died.
Was he killed by the Skull Kid?
Did he die of other unknown causes?
Discuss

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
My guess is that he was killed by Skull Kid, considering that he had access to his soul. This kinda makes me wonder if Majora also has the power to control souls themselves, which would also explain the dead rising in Ikana.

If you want my opinion how his death went down, I'm gonna pull a legolas here.
Skull Kid had been wandering town, causing mischeif. The Butler's son had been looking for a way to save the swamp from it's curse. It was then he found Skull Kid and gave chase though the tunnels of the Clock Tower. It was there that he was killed by Skull Kid by removing his soul and cursing his body as a tree.

Of course, that was just me having fun typing a fan fiction like theory.

Thats a very good question, I never really thought about it until I just read this.

At the moment in time my opinion is that he died before Skull Kid stole Majora's Mask. I think he may have died while doing some sort of travelling around Termina, Maybe made a mistake in a dangerous area leading to his death, I think he most likely died in the Southern area of Termina in the swamps, So maybe he drowned and no-one could save him or were not there to help him in time.

One thing that makes me believe that he drowned was that if it his the Butler's son's spirit in that mask then maybe that is why Link can't swim and simply drowns.

He may have been moving around on the Lilly Pads and ended up being confronted by the Giant Octorok by the exits of the swamp. This would lead to him losing his balence and then drowning as he can't swim. If he was startled he may not have started skipping on the water like Link does if he can do that.

I know there are probably much better explanations to why he died.

Last edited:

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I disagree. In the beginning of the game, Skull Kid transforms Link. He doesn't put a mask on him as if he did, Link would be able to take it off. Here what I think happened. We know that the song of healing can be used to heal restless spirits. Well, I think when Skull Kid casts the spell or curse on Link, he releases a part of Link, which is what becomes the Deku. When the Happy Mask Salesman plays the song, I believe he heals and soothes this part of Link's spirit releasing it and turning it into the Deku mask.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Deku Mask contains the spirit of the Deku Butlers son? If there is I haven't reached this part of the game yet. I remember that the Deku Butler says something about how he used to race like that with his son, but just because Link raced the same race as the Deku Butler's son this in no way suggests they are the same person.

D

dark-link

i always thought skull kid killed the deku due to his ability to land the deku curse on link imprisoning the deku's soul into link

C

Crimson Prince

Thats a very good question, I never really thought about it until I just read this.

At the moment in time my opinion is that he died before Skull Kid stole Majora's Mask. I think he may have died while doing some sorrt of travelling around Termina, Maybe made a mistake in a dangerous area leading to his death, I think he most likely died in the Southern area of Termina in the swamps, So maybe he drowned and no-one could save him or were not there to help him in time.

One thing that makes me believe that he drowned was that if it his the Butler's son's spirit in that mask then maybe that is why Link can't swim and simply drowns.

He may have been moving around on the Lilly Pads and ended up being confronted by the Giant Octorok by the exits of the swamp. This would lead to him losing his balence and then drowning as he can't swim. If he was startled he may not have started skipping on the water like Link does if he can do that.

I know there are probably much better explanations to why he died.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Deku Mask contains the spirit of the Deku Butlers son? If there is I haven't reached this part of the game yet. I remember that the Deku Butler says something about how he used to race like that with his son, but just because Link raced the same race as the Deku Butler's son this in no way suggests they are the same person.

This is what the deku butler tells Link:

Actually, when I see you, I am reminded of my son who left home long ago...

The deku butler's son is the deku-like tree figure near the entrance to the clock tower, when you are still in the woods. (That and the ending are the only evidence for this, and you can't argue with the ending really.)

As for the mask, I don't think you can know for sure if the spirit of the deku butler's son was in it because there isn't any hinting to it. (maybe except for the part that, every single transformation mask Link has, has the spirit of each race. At least for the goron and zora ones, so one would think that it's the same case for the deku one.)

Anyway, so far as we know, every single problem in Termina was caused by the skull kid. Or at least it's pretty safe to assume that.

E

ed15551

A good question, but in my opinion skull kid killed him. In the beginning of the game skull kid turns Link into a deku, meening that he would have the buttlers son's soul and used the soul to transform Link, but the song of healing would transfer that soul into the deku mask, meaning that the deku buttler's son's soul was in the mask all along. But there is the tree, I also beleve that not all of the soul was taken, but only part of it, so its posable that the remaning soul and the body transformed into the tree, meaning that deku's (when they die) turn into willowed trees

This is but only a therey so I am not 100% sure that all of this is true

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Where is this withered tree? Does anyone have a picture.

The point is though, as I stated above. If the Skull Kid had put a mask on Link, he would be able to simply take it off. I believe it is part of Link's soul that is soothed when he hears the song of healing. Either this, or when Link is Deku Link, he is actually possesed by a Deku, which is what Skull Kid does to him, and then it would be this Deku that's soul is soothed.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Where is this withered tree? Does anyone have a picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgH57VW-l4

You can find the withered tree at 9:09, angelkid.

Anyway my opinion on the topic of this thread is that the Deku Mask is the spirit of the withered tree which I believe is it to be the deku butler's missing son (see the credits of MM for the reason why). It would make sense when you see that this withered tree is near to where Link got transformed into the deku scrub. I think that the Skull Kid must have taken the soul of the withered tree (after he killed him) and used it to curse Link.

Last edited:
D

Deku Scrub

I was thinking about this too.

I can come up with a few theories of how the butler's son was turned into the withered tree. These are just assumptions...but still, I think they're equally possible.

1. At some point, for some reason, the Deku King was irratated by the butler's son, and punished him by somehow turning him into the tree.
2. While traveling through the forest, Skull Kid happened upon the butler's son, and transfigured him.
3. With the cursing of the swamp, the butler's son was transformed by some poison in the water supply.

I think the most likely is the second. Skull Kid could have used Majora's Mask to steal the butler's son's soul and force it onto Link to turn him into the deku scrub. Then when the Song of Healing was played, it actually was healing the soul of the butler's son, while removing his soul from Link's body.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
Okay, you guys keep saying that is the Skull Kid who killed the Butler's son but the thing is that, when you talk to the Butler, he says this his son left home a long time ago; I'm pretty sure that long time ago had to be longer than the Skull Kid had the Mask. Also, I was thinking that at the start of the game, the Skull Kid was doing 'harmless' pranks on people, I don't think he would go as far as killing someone yet.
Turning the Butler's son into the sad tree, yeah I can see him doing that but, I can't picture the Skull Kid killing someone at the start of the game.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I was thinking about this too.

I can come up with a few theories of how the butler's son was turned into the withered tree. These are just assumptions...but still, I think they're equally possible.

1. At some point, for some reason, the Deku King was irratated by the butler's son, and punished him by somehow turning him into the tree.
2. While traveling through the forest, Skull Kid happened upon the butler's son, and transfigured him.
3. With the cursing of the swamp, the butler's son was transformed by some poison in the water supply.

I think the most likely is the second. Skull Kid could have used Majora's Mask to steal the butler's son's soul and force it onto Link to turn him into the deku scrub. Then when the Song of Healing was played, it actually was healing the soul of the butler's son, while removing his soul from Link's body.

Very good theories, but if those theories were true then why would he be in the tunnels under the clock Tower?

Most likely, he had gone into the tunnels for Goddess's know what reason and got himself killed by Skull Kid and his soul stolen.

Okay, you guys keep saying that is the Skull Kid who killed the Butler's son but the thing is that, when you talk to the Butler, he says this his son left home a long time ago; I'm pretty sure that long time ago had to be longer than the Skull Kid had the Mask. Also, I was thinking that at the start of the game, the Skull Kid was doing 'harmless' pranks on people, I don't think he would go as far as killing someone yet.
Turning the Butler's son into the sad tree, yeah I can see him doing that but, I can't picture the Skull Kid killing someone at the start of the game.

Well, the Mask was controlling Skull Kid at this point really, and most of the curses must've occurred long before the begging of MM. Skull Kid also didn't seem to have much of a problem killing people when he inflicted these curses (poisoning Dekus to death, freezing Gorons, Starving Zoras, and the moon itself) it's just that the majority of his killing is done slowly as Majora likes it.

I don't know if Skull Kid would have killed the Deku Butler's son, but what I am pretty sure about is that it wasn't his death that caused Link to be turned into a deku. Like Angelkid said above, Skull Kid turned Link into a deku. He didn't put a mask on him, so therefore the soul of the Butler's Son was not a factor in Link's transformation. The Song of Healing "healed" Link. The spirit of the Deku (not a specific Deku) was released and turned into the mask. This is how I believe all masks in Termina came to be, even Majora's Mask.

My best guess would be that the Butler's Son just got lost. He wandered around for a long time, then ended up where we see him at the beginning of the game. He either died and slowly grew roots into the ground, turning into the tree-like shape was see, or he just got really sad and depressed after a long time and turned into that shape. I don't know if I would consider him "dead", more like "stuck" in that form forever.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I don't know if Skull Kid would have killed the Deku Butler's son, but what I am pretty sure about is that it wasn't his death that caused Link to be turned into a deku. Like Angelkid said above, Skull Kid turned Link into a deku. He didn't put a mask on him, so therefore the soul of the Butler's Son was not a factor in Link's transformation. The Song of Healing "healed" Link. The spirit of the Deku (not a specific Deku) was released and turned into the mask. This is how I believe all masks in Termina came to be, even Majora's Mask.

My best guess would be that the Butler's Son just got lost. He wandered around for a long time, then ended up where we see him at the beginning of the game. He either died and slowly grew roots into the ground, turning into the tree-like shape was see, or he just got really sad and depressed after a long time and turned into that shape. I don't know if I would consider him "dead", more like "stuck" in that form forever.

As we have all seen, the mask transformations mimic the users while keeping traits of their older bodies. This is how Mikau and Darmani were recognized even though Link was the one under the mask. The fact that the Deku Butler was reminded of his son by looking at Link gives us an idea that Link was in the body of the Deku Butler's son.

Also, note how this particular deku resembles the tree in Link's transformation and look at these statues.

Elegyofemptiness.png

These statues are what the owners really look like when removed of the curse. (Even Link, even though that.... "grin" creeps me out.) If you looked at the twisted tree, you'll notice the sad similarity.

Another thing is to look at this quote made by Tatl: "Come over to this tree and check it out! It's strange, but the way you look right now sort of looks like this tree... It looks all dark and gloomy... almost like it could start crying any second now... How sad..."

She directly says that Link resembles the Deku boy so that also links to the Deku Mask being the soul of the Deku Butler's son.

There is also the dog in the middle of Clock Town, looking for a certain Deku scrub, which happens to resemble you. Now before you say that any Deku could be it. See that he doesn't attack the Deku Merchant? That helps prove that the dog is looking for a certain Deku.

There's more 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom