• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Definitive Zelda Game

What is, in your opinion, the most definitive game in the series, the installment that does the best job of offering a template for what the series should be, represent, and strive for? Keep in mind I'm not asking you for your favorite, or which you think is the best, but the one that does the best job of defining Zelda as a whole.

For me, I'd either say Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past. Both are beloved classic games, but I think they also do the best job of being a Zelda title, if you get what I mean. They're both distinct in their standardness, in my opinion, and, like I said, do the best job of defining the series and setting a standard and representing what the series is.

I don't think, for me, that The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword could be definitive enough. These games are all too unique (not that it's bad for installments to be unique; in fact, it's great) and have their own perks that don't necessarily belong to the series as a whole, but to their individual games. The original, too, is not concrete enough for me to call it definitive; the kinks were still being worked out and the formula still being developed. Adventure of Link is almost something completely alien, and while I love the game, it is definitely not definitive of the series. Very little of that game has endured to present day Zelda, (though the Magic Bar was first introduced) unlike games like A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time which help to shape the series. Majora's Mask is also too unique.
Rereading this, it sounds like I'm making it sound like I dislike all the games in the last paragraph. No. Absolutely not. I adore every Zelda game I have ever played.

I'm curious as to what installment everybody else thinks defines and shapes the series the best. So, in your opinion, what is it?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Definitely Ocarina of Time. I don't care that I think Skyward Sword was better. Ocarina set the groundwork for the modern formula and is pretty much the game the entire timeline (however unimportant and crappy it may be) is centered around.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
Definitely Ocarina of Time. I don't care that I think Skyward Sword was better. Ocarina set the groundwork for the modern formula and is pretty much the game the entire timeline (however unimportant and crappy it may be) is centered around.

Stole the words right outta my mouth. Ocarina of Time was a groundbreaking establishment for Nintendo, and it set up the platform for all future Zelda games.

I would personally have to say Ocarina of Time because it introduced the world to Zelda in 3D, gave us one of the best stories in video gaming, and set the groundwork for the series to strive on.

MW7

I'd say Ocarina of Time is the definitive Zelda. I wanted to have a little evidence to support this so I went through IGN's reviews for Majora's Mask through Skyward Sword. In each review Ocarina of Time was mentioned by name nearly twice as often as all the other video games mentioned in the reviews combined. For instance in Twilight Princess' review Wind Waker was mentioned three times, Super Mario 64 was mentioned once, but Ocarina of Time was mentioned seven times and most were direct comparisons. At the very least Ocarina of Time is the standard by which the series is currently measured, and IMO that makes it the definitive Zelda.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I can't disagree. Most people seem to recognize that Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past are definitely the main games of the series that really laid down the foundations for all future titles.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time is the face of Zelda as a whole, and ALttP is the 2D Zelda subdivision's face. Literally every Zelda since OoT has been modeled off the legendary game, and literally every Zelda since OoT has been trying to beat it out, though each and every title has failed at doing so (fan reception to OoT is on a totally different caliber than ANY other title).

I mean, there's no one who doesn't notice OoT, whether they hate it or love it. The game is a legend, both by name and by reception; highest rated video game of all time doesn't tell lies. Everyone compares that newest 3D title to, you guessed it, OoT. Such a groundbreaking game deserves nothing less than to be the definitive Zelda game.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Implying fan reception determines actual fact. Not trying to start up an argument on what game is the best, just pointing that out.

It's too bad that's how Miyamoto sees it, huh? Ocarina to this day is the single Zelda game that has had the most positive reception. Skyward Sword was made to beat out OoT, and Miyamoto even joked that if SS didn't, there wouldn't be any more Zelda. Come on, JJ, you're just trying to fight the system here.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's too bad that's how Miyamoto sees it, huh? Ocarina to this day is the single Zelda game that has had the most positive reception. Skyward Sword was made to beat out OoT, and Miyamoto even joked that if SS didn't, there wouldn't be any more Zelda. Come on, JJ, you're just trying to fight the system here.

1.) Fan reception dictates what fans want to see the most in a game, not what determines actual quality. That was my point.

2.) While Skyward Sword received hate, Ocarina of Time actually did as well upon release. It really wasn't until a bit later that the hate went away and nearly every fan started to like it. Skyward Sword has also seen the most amount of praise out of any Zelda since Majora's Mask, both among critics and fans. Again, not trying to star a war, just pointing out facts.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1.) Fan reception dictates what fans want to see the most in a game, not what determines actual quality. That was my point.

2.) While Skyward Sword received hate, Ocarina of Time actually did as well upon release. It really wasn't until a bit later that the hate went away and nearly every fan started to like it. Skyward Sword has also seen the most amount of praise out of any Zelda since Majora's Mask, both among critics and fans. Again, not trying to star a war, just pointing out facts.
Miyamoto sees fan reception as how well a good game is. And that IS somewhat true; you wouldn't think a game that has an extremely high rating is of poor quality, would you?

OoT's hate stemmed from "zomg ALttP in 3D", that was about it. And the hate wasn't as intense as SS'; at best people complained about similarities between OoT and ALttP that don't make OoT its own game, giving it a low score (around a 7/10, though rating back then 7/10 meant it was a good game, better than decent). SS, though, it receives numerous 0/100s from fans. A lot of praise is only good when you don't have an equal amount of hate, which is why SS isn't definitive nor even considered as "the best Zelda". That doesn't mean SS is a failure though I personally would like to think so, it just makes it so OoT is infinitely better in the minds of fans as well as the big shot Nintendo.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Miyamoto sees fan reception as how well a good game is. And that IS somewhat true; you wouldn't think a game that has an extremely high rating is of poor quality, would you?

OoT's hate stemmed from "zomg ALttP in 3D", that was about it. And the hate wasn't as intense as SS'; at best people complained about similarities between OoT and ALttP that don't make OoT its own game, giving it a low score (around a 7/10, though rating back then 7/10 meant it was a good game, better than decent). SS, though, it receives numerous 0/100s from fans. A lot of praise is only good when you don't have an equal amount of hate, which is why SS isn't definitive nor even considered as "the best Zelda". That doesn't mean SS is a failure though I personally would like to think so, it just makes it so OoT is infinitely better in the minds of fans as well as the big shot Nintendo.

I kind of said I'm trying not to start something twice, so can we just leave it be?

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Definitive? Hmm...

That's kind of hard to say, each game has introduced something unique in it's own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom