• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Crucible: 100-Wave Enemy Gauntlet

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Guild Wars says otherwise. Aside from a different locale and of course a stellar OST, Guild Wars is very comparable to other MMOs on the market. But hey, both GW1 (Proph, Factions, NF, EotN) and GW2 have a huge fanbase, and GW2 isn't even released yet. Why? Because both are extremely fun, which is all Darksiders needs to do! If it is fun, if it attracts a lot of people initially, if it has replayability...it will achieve quoteunquote elite status. How else do you think MMORPGs do it? What about puzzle games? Those flash games? Angry Birds isn't notorious due to it setting itself apart from other likeminded flash games. Tetris isn't revered because it is like...heck, I don't know any other puzzle games haha. WoW doesn't have a billion and two subscribers to this day because it's different. Nope, all of those games and more are simple fun, and they keep the player coming back for more!

World of Warcaft is also one of the very few good MMO's out there, and one reason it's so popular is because it was one of the first ones to hit the mainstream. Many others have tried to copy it and have failed. WoW is also not on the same tier as games like Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. It's just an entertaining game. Nothing more. If a game is just entertaining, then it's not truly elite. There's a boundary that separates the good games from the stellar games, and Darksiders just didn't have what it takes to be on the stellar side. Darksiders II looks a sight better, but it also doesn't look like it'll reach top tier. I hope Vigil learns that they need to do some things on their own rather than relying on the successes of other franchises in the future, because if they don't, this series will never reach its full potential.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I'm sure it's worth playing, but there's not much of a reason to not put a personal spin on the gameplay. Again, take Skyward Sword's influences from Metroid. They're clearly there, but they have the Zelda touch to them. Darksiders doesn't have a Darksiders touch to it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want your game to be elite, you have to have some originality, otherwise the game's potential will be held back severely. The original Darksiders may be a good game, but it's definitely not great by any means. II may change that, but it doesn't look like it'll be a top tier game worthy of being called Game of the Year, which is sad because the formula has the proper setup to accomplish that feat.

See, there I would disagree. I believe completely that Darksiders 1 did put that creative personal spin on it, and as for Darksiders II only time will tell.

I am going to hold back on the Guild Wars thing, that is really an issue for another thread.

Love enemy gauntlets, and I love taking bosses and minibosses and putting them into new situations that make them more challenging, including in groups. This looks excellent and I've always liked things like this.

Yeah well I can say for sure it is definitely borrowing gameplay elements from other series, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do it well. As for combat, I can say from experience that it is much better in Darksiders II. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. While lack of originality is disappointing, it doesn't mean it isn't worth playing.
I don't think anyone is saying that Darksiders didn't do it well or that it's not worth playing. Originality isn't needed to be good, but I would agree that some semblance of it is needed for something to be great, and while I'll admit I haven't played Darksiders yet, it really doesn't look like something I'd describe as great, and reviews I've read seem to match that sentiment: Good, but not great.

But isn't melding those elements together into a cohesive experience take creativity? Not to mention the story, characters, art design.... again, not necessarily disagreeing with you or disagreeing with my previous statement, but I still think it should be given a fair shot.
It can, but not always. There is definitely a lot of originality to be found in the combination of ideas, but there's a key difference between a unique combination and re-using ideas in conjunction, and I would not agree that it takes any degree of creativity to simply use ideas that come from a couple of different sources together for once, because just because they're combined doesn't mean they change form in any way. Again I've yet to play the series, but it really doesn't look like much about it changes form from things I've seen before. That doesn't make it bad but it does mean it's not as impressive as it could have been.

And I while I love the idea of the Crucible, I do share concerns that it could indicate that Darksiders II might just borrow most of its ideas. We'll have to see, though. It'll be a good game, regardless.

StarGate55555

Trophy Guide Writer
I love that you can earn gear from it. It might be very helpful in the beginning of the story.

I am gonna take a guess and say the following

Complete 5 waves get a Common item
Complete 10 waves get a Uncommon item
Complete 15 waves get a Rare item
Complete 20 waves get a Elite item
Complete 50 waves get a Possessed Item
Complete 80 waves get a Legendary Item
Complete 100 waves get a complete Elite/Possessed/Legendary Armor set (boots, gloves, armor, shoulders, scythes and melee weapon)

WoW is also not on the same tier as games like Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. It's just an entertaining game.

That's entirely debatable. There's a reason why so many people (i.e. more than have ever played Zelda or Metroid) are willing to pay a subscription fee to play it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That's entirely debatable. There's a reason why so many people (i.e. more than have ever played Zelda or Metroid) are willing to pay a subscription fee to play it.

Yeah, because you get to interact with people and do raids and ****. There's more to it than that, I know, but if it were a single-player game as is, the aesthetics wouldn't be acceptable.

Yeah, because you get to interact with people and do raids and ****. There's more to it than that, I know, but if it were a single-player game as is, the aesthetics wouldn't be acceptable.

What's your point? They still see it as premium content - and arguably as even more valuable since they're willing to pay a literal premium to access the game. It's irrelevant whether it's single-player or multi-player in this case. Games that can retain that much value over such a long period of time are DEFINITELY worth more than games that have exhausted that value a couple years later.

That said, I don't think it matters if Darksiders II doesn't bring any original ideas as long as it fills a demand. If the demand is for original ideas, then Darksiders II will be rejected and more original games will be more widely accepted.

That said, I don't think it matters if Darksiders II doesn't bring any original ideas as long as it fills a demand. If the demand is for original ideas, then Darksiders II will be rejected and more original games will be more widely accepted.
Of course, but the fact is that such a demand is by gamers, some of which here in this thread -- JJ and myself -- think a little more originality might be nice, and The Crucible sets of a few alarms in our minds at least. Maybe we're not a majority but the concern we share is relevant to the demand you describe, at least for us personally. I don't get why this conversation has shifted into a big conversation about the benefits of originality and a series of criticisms about the game's originality followed by defenses of it, and vice versa. Aren't we getting a little off-topic here?

Last edited:

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
on my first try i was level 23 and got knocked out about round 34. It is tough. I think the only way to really stand a chance of making it through to 101 is by 100% new game and new game+, getting all bonuses, best loot possible, etc. Of course, you can probably do it without that if you are a combat god.

Kirino

Tatakae
I am level 21 and I got to wave 50 with only 2 potions, lol. I'll try to level up some more before the last 50, cause they seem tough. I love how it leaves a checkpoint for you to continue at any time at waves 25, 50, and 75. So I really only have to beat 25 waves at a time. You also get pretty great items for every 25 waves. Once you beat wave 50, you get Abyssal Boots. My weapons really help me. I have an ability that gets me 42 health every critical, and my critical chance is 22%. My weapon also occasionaly freezes enemies so they can't attack, and does 500 extra freeze damage. Not to mention that my scythes are possesed, very strong, and leveled up fully with very good abilities, such as defense up by 135, critical damage up by 30%, and much more. My secondary weapon that freezes people is the Mace of the Deposed King, and is obtained by defeating Argul.

Last edited:

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I am level 21 and I got to wave 50 with only 2 potions, lol. I'll try to level up some more before the last 50, cause they seem tough. I love how it leaves a checkpoint for you to continue at any time at waves 25, 50, and 75. So I really only have to beat 25 waves at a time. You also get pretty great items for every 25 waves. Once you beat wave 50, you get Abyssal Boots. My weapons really help me. I have an ability that gets me 42 health every critical, and my critical chance is 22%. My weapon also occasionaly freezes enemies so they can't attack, and does 500 extra freeze damage. Not to mention that my scythes are possesed, very strong, and leveled up fully with very good abilities, such as defense up by 135, critical damage up by 30%, and much more. My secondary weapon that freezes people is the Mace of the Deposed King, and is obtained by defeating Argul.

Nice what difficulty? and did you start from 1 or 25?

Kirino

Tatakae
Normal. I started at 25. Waves 50-75 are very difficult. The highest I made it to was 72. They bring out the hardest enemies. On wave 70 I had to fight 5 Demon Soldiers, One Demon Champion, and two Liches(The things in the Black Stone that shoot fireballs). Wave 75 is a fight against Argul, which is a full boss battle. It's way harder than 1-50. I almost beat it though. Do you know any good ways to level up?

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
Normal. I started at 25. Waves 50-75 are very difficult. The highest I made it to was 72. They bring out the hardest enemies. On wave 70 I had to fight 5 Demon Soldiers, One Demon Champion, and two Liches(The things in the Black Stone that shoot fireballs). Wave 75 is a fight against Argul, which is a full boss battle. It's way harder than 1-50. I almost beat it though. Do you know any good ways to level up?

Ah. well I was on Apocalyptic, starting from wave 1 with 2 potions :P

Anyway, as for leveling up, I do not. Have you completed new game+? and now need to level up some more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom