• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Creepiest Parts and Foes in Legend of Zelda

Well, the Forest Temple in OoT is quite eerie, with the music and spirits and ghosts. And, as we all know, the Shadow Temple is just... scarring. A lot of Majora's Mask ranged from slightly unnerving to bone-chilling.

The N64 Zelda games have some creepy stuff.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would start with the Great Fairies of the N64 games. Something about their look, is so Tim Burtonish. And then they have that laugh, it only adds to the weirdness that their excessive amount of eye liner creates.

And then there is the face on the Terminian moon

moon-stares-at-link-in-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask.jpg

What is even weirder is the fact that a gigantic face like that getting closer and closer to Clock Town does not appear to freak anyone out at all. They just go on with their lives pretending like satan himself is not coming at jogging speed to kill them all. The entire situation is just...........messed up.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
And, as we all know, the Shadow Temple is just... scarring.

While I agree with that, I personally found the Bottom of the Well a lot creepier. It's partly just the way I associated with it. I know, logically, that the Shadow Temple has lower levels, but they went down gradually (and a lot of rooms had higher ceilings). Whereas with the bottom of the well, it seemed instantly more claustrophobic to me because I knew how far down it was. Then there's the decor, which gave off an "old torture chamber" vibe. And then add onto that all the hidden areas that you can fall into or through until you get the Lens of Truth - one false wall gave me one of my only genuine scares in the game when I accidentally fell through it and came face to face with those creepy images on the wall in the room behind it. So yeah, despite all the creepy stuff in the Shadow Temple (invisible blades, ugh) the bottom of the well trumped it for me.

As for foes - stupid Zant's Hands. It's partly the music, and it's partly the way it just floats through walls. But mostly it's just something psychological about having that thing stalk me.

David

But you called me here...
Honestly, I never found the Shadow Temple to be "Scarring." I actually loved the temple when I first played it. It had some very interesting parts to it. But I guess that I was probably 10 when I first played it, so I didn't really pay attention to the evil references in the temple and the well. To this day, I actually really like playing the Shadow Temple and the Well. They are just fun to me. (and no, I'm not disturbed or weird, I just liked the temple)

And for foes, Zant's Hands were pretty creepy. The animation that happens whenever they come out of the wall always gets me... I hate it so much. I just wanted it to stop. I'd run through that place as fast as i possibly could, and if he got close, I beat him to death with my arrows and clawshot. *shivers* I hate doing that part of the game, even though I'm used to it now.

And for foes, Zant's Hands were pretty creepy. The animation that happens whenever they come out of the wall always gets me... I hate it so much. I just wanted it to stop. I'd run through that place as fast as i possibly could, and if he got close, I beat him to death with my arrows and clawshot. *shivers* I hate doing that part of the game, even though I'm used to it now.

My thoughts exactly. Those hands were easily the creepiest part of Twilight Princess, surpassing the Laruto scene and Telma's pedophilic winks. The music that plays when they're over your head, about to steal your Sol is such a panicked, creepy, horrifying sound. Like your very essence is about to be taken away from you. I always beat them to death as soon as they come through the wall (*shudders*), and beat them mercilessly when they come back to life. And the way they creep overhead, soundlessly if they're far away. Nevermind the fact that hands are possibly the creepiest body part they could have picked, aside from a floating eye. Nowait, Zant's hands have eyes on them too. Way to go, Nintendo, crafting the most dream-stealing enemy possible. Kudos. Nintendo also brought them back in another form in Spirit Tracks, in which they appear and try to steal your Big Key. However, it's a lot less creepy when they move so quickly and crawl on the floor rather than float.

As for the creepiest moment or part of a Zelda game... I never found the Bottom of the Well or the Shadow Temple very creepy. Yes, the use of the Eye of Truth is a little unsettling, but not creepy per se. I don't really have a creepy Zelda moment at the moment. I'll get back on that.

MrLuigi

Theorist
Majora's Wrath, Wind Waker's ReDeads, Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple, Twilight Princess's Lost Woods.
That's all the genuine scares.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Almost all of the creepy stuff was in the N64. Apparently at the time, the people who rated the game had some things going on(:S), and rated the game E. I do have to agree that Zant's Hand was really creepy. I actually will admit that I hesitated on entering the Palace of Twilight, because I heard of the hands. The thing that mostly freaked me out though was the Shadow Temple in OoT. It was like a nightmare with all kinds of traps inside... *shivers*

P

PiKn1ght314

The Shadow Temple and the Bottom of the Well have always freaked me out. And though I'm older since I first played them (and have much more interest as to what's in them), they still creep me out. ReDeads will forever freak me out; creepy little brain suckers. Wallmasters-- I just love how you must avoid "the shadows of monsters that hang from the ceiling" and when you don't know what that means the first time you play. For some reason, I always got scared of Moblins in OoT, because they would always charge when you weren't expecting. And then Dead Hands; perfect scarring machines for children. Most of this stuff I just laugh off nowadays, but now and then it makes me jump.

But I truly believe that the scariest thing in all of Zelda is Tingle. Seriously. :xd:

Redeads are definately the creepiest enimies ever. more so than wall masters. They scream and michael myers style walk, toward you. they can even eat another redeads corpse. and if you hookshot one, it tries to eat you. and creepiest level is definately the Earth Temple from Wind Waker

I agree with the Redeads from Wind Waker that somebody mentioned. That open-mouth, gaping appearance is very creepy.

Also, I always thought Pamela's half-Gibdo father jumping out of the closet at you was pretty creepy as well.

248px-MM_Gibdo_Man.jpg

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
redead.bmp_thumb.jpg
AAAAAAAH! I'm so scared of ReDeads! I've mentioned this before but sometimes I start crying and cowering under furniture, especially when I play Zelda games alone...

Caeda

Keyblade Master
Almost all of the creepy stuff was in the N64. Apparently at the time, the people who rated the game had some things going on(:S), and rated the game E. I do have to agree that Zant's Hand was really creepy. I actually will admit that I hesitated on entering the Palace of Twilight, because I heard of the hands. The thing that mostly freaked me out though was the Shadow Temple in OoT. It was like a nightmare with all kinds of traps inside... *shivers*

They definutly are the creepiest games in the series by far... It took me forever to finish the Shadow Temple.

The creepiest enemy are definutly the ReDeads. I hate those things so much.
The creeepiest part of a game is definutly TP's Lanayru cutscene... you know what I'm talking about, right?

Nicole

luke is my wife
Creepiest things in Zelda? Most of them have already been discussed, such as ReDeads, Pamela's father in MM, Bottom of the Well, and the Shadow Temple and its enemies within. One thing, though, that hasn't really been talked about: Arbiter's Grounds in TP. As soon as you enter the dungeon, the music just screams "eerie." The dungeon itself was very well designed, with quicksand-type obstacles and such. Also, a throwback to OoT, the spinning blades in one room of the dungeon.

What really made the creepiness of the dungeon are the "little" enemies, the ghost rats and scarabs, the little purple things that latch onto you and slow you down, leaving you vulnerable to attacks.
Also, the traps in Arbiter's Grounds were cool, for one, in one room, when you opened a chest to get a small key, the torch would blow out and a horde of invisible ghost rats would appear. (Or not appear, 'cuz you can't see them. :P)

Let's not forget the midboss, Death Sword,
DeathSwordBox.png
who you could only see with your wolf senses at first. After he/it was defeated, a swarm of *bugs* (gross) flies up and out of the room. And Stallord, the big boss... Who could forget walking into the boss room and meeting Zant at the bottom? The battle itself, though easy, was an epic use of the spinner, an under-used item throughout the game.

Another thing I personally thought was creepy was Kamaro's Mask in MM. The guy, Kamaro, himself was just odd. You would use the Song of Healing to heal his soul and he would grant you Kamaro's Mask, which allowed you to replicate his weird dance in front of the Rosa sisters. One thing I remember about dancing with the Rosa sisters is during the cutscene, the soldier who guarded the western gate... Just stared at you... Has anyone else gotten chills during that cutscene?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom