• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Connection Between The Oocca and the Hylian Royal Family

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Twilight Princess introduced us to the Oocca, weird little chicken-men that, by my estimation, were not well received. The game establishes that the Oocca and the Hylian Royal Family were in contact but evidently that connection came to an end some time in the distant past, since knowledge of the Oocca has practically faded from Hyrule entirely. The question is why? Twilight Princess tells us that the Oocca founded Hyrule (the English version was mistranslated to say they made the Hylians, but this is false) so you'd expect them to have played a bigger role than, well, not existing as far as the average Hylian is concerned.

Looking at a range of evidence, I have drawn an admittedly sketchy conclusion as to what caused the split and I want to open it up to discussion, because we have a Theory Section so why not use it? I'll give you the overall theory and then get into my evidence because I think I'll find it easier to write this clearly that way. This is long, just so you know.

---

My theory as to why the connection between the Oocca and the Hylian Royal Family broke was because a king from Hyrule's past wanted to use the magic and technology of the Oocca for war and so isloated them in the sky in order to keep their artifacts for himself.

Now, this is how I drew such a conclusion. The Dominion Rod, the most prominently featured Oocca artifact after the Clawshot, is used in Twilight Princess to take control of statues. There are four types of statues it works on in the game:
-small pot-like statues
-large Owl Statues
-large statue weilding a hammer
-giant statues with huge fists.

Three of these four types are found exclusively in the Temple of Time while the other type, the Owl Statues, are found dotted around Hyrule. The Owl Statues are visually very different to the other types, featuring a more angular design as opposed to the Temple Statues rounded and curved appearance. The statues found in the Temple of Time are mostly violent in nature, one weilding a hammer used to smash fences and instantly crush all enemies and the others are standing poised to attack and slamming their huge fists to the ground when commanded. The pot-like statues, while not offensive in themselves, are very heavy for their size and are found in far greater numbers.

Based on the visual differences of the Owl Statues and the Temple Statues, as well as the more violent nature of the Temple Statues compared with the Owl Statues' docile nature (their use limited to forming platforms to jump from) it seems likely that the Temple Statues were not built by the same people who built the Owl Statues. After all, the Oocca are said to have given the Hylians the Dominion Rod to allow the two groups to communicate and nothing more, so why would they have provided them with, essentially, war machines? The idea of the Oocca having any kind of militant leanings whatsoever is further debunked by the complete lack of any form of defenses present in the City in the Sky, evidenced by how the Oocca are completely helpless to fight back against Argorok or the other monsters.

This was the basis for thinking the Hylians may have built their own statues based on Oocca technology, statues specifically built for war. Hammers and fists don't fit in with the nature of the Oocca but fit spectacularly well with the nature of Hylians, being know to have waged many wars in the past and having a standing army. Invincible and incredibly strong automaton soldiers would probably seem like a good idea, especially when we factor in the extreme range of terrain surrounding Hyrule that the statues could easily fight in more effectively than humans.

So that's the 'using the Oocca technology for war' part but how did I come to the 'Hylian King isolated Oocca in the sky' part? Well, allow me to explain. During Twilight Princess we encounter a character named Ooccoo who, not surprisingly, is an Oocca. Ooccoo's issue is that she cannot return home to the sky and she is desperately searching for a certain item in order to do so. This item turns out to be the Dominion Rod but in the end, Ooccoo still needs the ancient Sky Cannon to actually get back to the City in the Sky. The Dominion Rod simply allows access to the Sky Cannon.

So the Sky Cannon is the only way for the Oocca to return home from Hyrule. The Sky Cannon itself is found behind an Owl Statue, but one which has been altered to prevent it being controlled by the Dominion Rod. It has a strange object placed on it which, interestingly, resembles the Sheikah symbol. The plot thickens. This seems to imply the Sheikah specifically locked the Sky Cannon away, which would prevent the Oocca from venturing to Hyrule as they would not be able to return home. The Sheikah, being bodyguards and spies for the Royal Family of Hyrule, follow the King's orders, so any decision to seal away the Sky Cannon would have first come from him.

Owl Statue.jpg

The Sheikah-esque symbol on the Owl Statue is not all. The Dominion Rod is still needed to move the statue even if the seal is removed. The Rod was placed in the Temple of Time, deep within the dungeon that can only be accessed by someone able to pull the Master Sword, guarded by many traps and Beamos and even a sentinel Darknut who fights to the death. Seems like a lot of security for an object with limited utility.

Before I move on, I have to explain something else. The Dominion Rod only has a limited amount of magic and needs recharging after a while. This aspect of the Rod is what I believe prevented the King of Hyrule from using his army of statues, or indeed, from building a true army of them at all. His first priority would have been to gain the Oocca magic so that the Rod didn't become useless. This is where I believe the Sheikah first enter the story.

The Sheikah are custodians of the Ancient Sky Book, a book full of spells written in the Oocca language. It has the power to restore the Dominion Rod but there is evidence to suggest that the Sheikah did not know this. Impaz, the apparent last remaining Sheikah, seems unsure of what the Dominion Rod itself even actually is:
Yes, it is said that a mysterious rod was handed down from the people of the sky, and it was called the Dominion Rod...
She only knows its name and what it looks like, nothing more, like, how to power it up or what it is capable of. The vagueness of her knowledge also implies that her predecessors knew little of the Rod, otherwise she herself would have had the information passed on to her.

On top of this, we have Shad, a scholar, who has studied the Oocca all of his life and even works off the research of his father. After two lifetimes worth of dedicated research, Shad himself does not know what the spell which restores the Dominion Rod does, believing nothing happened when he read it. If this Oocca expert is unaware of which words restore the Dominion Rod, I find it unlikely Impaz or the other Sheikah do, what with their apparent limited knowledge of the artifact in the first place.

Impaz goes on to say this:
From generation to generation, my ancestors have guarded the book that, by royal decree, was to be given to the messenger to the heavens.
This quote tells us a few things. First off, from Skyward Sword we know that the Sheikah are a long-lived race (Impa in that game is over one thousand years-old) so "generation to generation" could mean that the book has only been passed down by a small number of guardians, since they live so long naturally, meaning not many Sheikah have actually read it or even seen it.

The second thing it tells us is that Impaz, who cannot leave the Hidden Village until she passes the book on to the messenger to the heavens, is there under the orders of the monarch. Her use of the past tense suggests that she is not referring directly to Princess Zelda but to a previous monarch. Being as long-lived as the Sheikah are, this could be a king from, honestly, any point in the last one thousand years.

What I am very ham-fistedly trying to say here is that the Sheikah were sent away by the king to decipher the Ancient Sky Book in order for him to be able to build his army.

-Dominion Rod has limited magic
-Sheikah do not know how to resotre that magic
-Ancient Sky Book is the only thing that can help but it is written in a different language
-Time is needed to dechipher it and secrecy is needed to prevent the Oocca or Hyrule's enemies from possibly finding out

This is backed up somewhat but a quote from Gor Coron:
That belonged to the tribe that protected the Hylian royal family long ago. They worked in secret, so they lived in a lonely, forgotten place. But I heard that tribe dwindled in the prolonged wars...

The use of the word "worked" implies they were doing more than just waiting for the messenger to show up. What is interesting here is how he describes where the Sheikah lived as "a lonely, forgotten place." Kakariko Village was hardly lonely or forgotten. Even in Twilight Princess there is a well known settlement called Kakariko Village. He is obviously referring to the Hidden Village, which identifies itself as 'Old Kakarico'. This shows awarness of a 'New' Kakariko. Did the king build a new settlement to allow the old one to fall into obscurity to hide what he was up to?

Gor Coron also mentions how the Sheikah "dwindled in the prolonged wars..." To me, with this theory as context, that seems to give a very good motive for why a Hylian King would want to build an army of statues that could be controlled remotely, giving a little more weight to this idea.

The last piece of evidence I have to support the idea that a king of Hyurle actively sought to prevent the Oocca use of the Sky Cannon is that the spell which removes the possible Sheikah seal on the Owl Statue guarding the Cannon has several character removed and hidden throughout Hyrule. The characters are hidden under Owl Statues, meaning whoever hid them needed the Dominion Rod, which, you'll remember, was given to the Hylians, making them the prime suspects here.

So let's recap. We have a king from Hyrule's past involved in prolonged wars that are killing even his elite bodyguards. In desperation, perhaps, he decides to use the Dominion Rod to command an army of powerful statues to save his kingdom. Perhaps believing his misuse of the artifact will anger the Oocca and see them take the Rod from him, he decides to deny access to the Sky Cannon to ensure no one comes to take his new weapons away. After building some prototypes, essentially, he learns that the Dominion Rod only has limited magic and so he calls on the remaining Sheikah. He has them sabotage the Sky Cannon ("there's no ignition device, so you can't even use it." - Fyer) and then seal the Owl Statue guarding it. To ensure the seal holds, the Sheikah remove some characters from the Ancient Sky Book and hide them using the Dominion Rod and then they store the Rod itself in the extremely secure Temple of Time before retreating to their secret village to try to learn how to maintain the Rod.

All of that can be supported by the evidence I have presented. I'm not gonna say it's 100% definately true, obviously, but from the evidence I have thus far presented, that is the conclusion I have drawn.

The issue I see with this theory is that it leaves a big gap between the Sheikah going into hiding to decipher parts of the Ancient Sky Book and then Link finally figuring it all out. I mean, several hundred years must have passed, since Link had to go back in time several centuries to actually get the Dominion Rod in the first place. Well, I have a possible explanation for that too.

The Sheikah, wracked with guilt about essentially banishing the Oocca to the sky, decided to not help the king subvert their artifacts and instead waited for one who would re-establish the link between sky and Hyrule as an act of attonement.

The evidence I have for this is not solid but here it is anyway.

Oocca Symbol.jpg

That is the symbol found on the doors of the City in the Sky. It resembles an eye with four lashes above it. The Sheikah symbol is an eye with three lashes above and a tear below. Now, bear with me here. Let's say those four lashes on the Oocca symbol represent the major races: Oocca, Hylian, Goron and Zora. The Sheikah, guilty at their actions, adapted this symbol when sealing the Owl Statue into an eye with no lashes and a long tear, symbolising the sorrow at banishing the Oocca and the disconnection from the other races. I admit this is pretty weak but it's better than nothing.

---

Anyway, that is the case for the connection between the Oocca and the Hylian Royal Family breaking because of betrayal inspired by a desperate attempt to win a war. Now, my pretties, let rip and tear it to shreds! Tell me what you think. Do you agree or disagree? Are parts of my evidence too weak or is there contradictary information I have overlooked? Let me know :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Twilight Princess was definitely one of the more interesting Zelda games, it asked more questions that it answered. The fact that Twilight Princess on the timeline is one of the newest eras out of the Zelda games plus its appeared isolation between Majoras Mask make it a stand out as its own story! In this game we have the story of Twili, the dark interlopers, the shiekah and the Oocca!

So these leads me to think that did Nintendo intend to just make a modern version of Ocarina of Time or to start off a new generation of Zelda...With the announcement of Skyward Sword I immediately came to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe Twilight Princess was a much more significant game then we once thought and maybe the amazing stories it told would actually be touched upon in later Zelda games. After the first couple of trailers we figured out that the game would be set in the sky so initially I thought, Great! Maybe we will get to find out more about the Oocca...

Unfortunately this was never explored in OoT and it was a perfect example of how Nintendo tend to ignore connections in the main story of Zelda games. So maybe we will never know who or what the Oocca were but by reading your theory you gave a really good possible explanation to what they could have been, how could they be mentioned to have once created the Hylians or protected them yet they have no real relevance in any Zelda game? So I think that maybe the Oocca were somehow significantly weakend by events in past stories as they seem helpless in TP and how could such a helpless race build these "war machines" as you said. So in all I think your theory is very interesting and it would make for a great story or even a plot in a future Zelda game, however we know this prob never happen! :(

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
This seems to imply the Sheikah specifically locked the Sky Cannon away, which would prevent the Oocca from venturing to Hyrule as they would not be able to return home.
That seems like a rather odd way of keeping them in the sky. I think it would be more likely that the seal was meant to cut off the Hylians from the Oocca so they'd be forgotten.

The characters are hidden under Owl Statues
If the Oocca are responsible for the owl statues, then it's more likely that they were the ones who hid the characters. I doubt the statues were repurposed for this.

Let's say those four lashes on the Oocca symbol represent the major races: Oocca, Hylian, Goron and Zora. The Sheikah, guilty at their actions, adapted this symbol when sealing the Owl Statue into an eye with no lashes and a long tear, symbolising the sorrow at banishing the Oocca and the disconnection from the other races. I admit this is pretty weak but it's better than nothing.
Yeah, that's pretty weak. The tear was adopted sometime before SS, and we didn't see any Zora in that game. The major races then were Hylians, Mogma, Ancient Robots, and Parella (and Kikwi and Gorons, though we don't see many of them in the game). Not to mention that was before the founding of Hyrule, so there could be no "royal decree."

It does seem like there was some attempt to conceal the existence of the Oocca, but I'm not convinced that it was done against the Oocca's will.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Following Ganon's failed attack the sages or the King may have saw fit to put a little more security over the entrance to the Sacred Realm. As such, they commissioned the Oocca to help them design machines of battle to stand watch.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. I was approaching this purely from a perspective that the statues were made for offense but the idea they were made for defence covers some of the sketchy areas of the initial theory. For example, I've had in the back of my head the thought that if the Hylians could build their own statues, why would they not be able to just build their own Dominion Rod? I kind of just ignored that thought, though. Having the Oocca help the Hylians build the statues, or, indeed, build them for the Hylians outright, would make more sense as this allows the Hylians to have the statues but not the knowledge of the Ancient Sky Book and how to restore the Dominion Rod.

If that's the case then the need to send the Sheikah into hiding to dichipher the Ancient Sky Book changes. Initially, I thought it was a case of trying to figure out how to restore the Dominion Rod but what if it was to figure out how to break the seal on the Sky Cannon? Locke presented the idea that the Oocca may have sealed the Cannon away and hidden the missing characters themselves and, based around what you've both said, I have an idea.

It does seem like there was some attempt to conceal the existence of the Oocca, but I'm not convinced that it was done against the Oocca's will.

Let's assume then that the Oocca sealed away the Sky Cannon, preventing access to the City in the Sky. The obvious question is why? Well, Blue, you gave us a possible reason: Ganondorf. If the statues are to defend against Ganondorf then that means the invasion the Ancient Sages talk about was underway. Is it so unreasonable to believe that the Oocca sealed off the Sky Cannon themselves to prevent Ganondorf finding their home? This also fits with leaving the Ancient Sky Book and Dominion Rod behind, so that the Hylians have the means to re-establish a connection when the danger has passed. Unfortunately, they never did and the Oocca faded into obscurity.

Perhaps the connection didn't break because of betrayal, maybe it broke as an unfortunate result of self-preservation.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Locke presented the idea that the Oocca may have sealed the Cannon away and hidden the missing characters themselves. [...] Is it so unreasonable to believe that the Oocca sealed off the Sky Cannon themselves to prevent Ganondorf finding their home?
I was thinking more along the lines of the Hylians sealing it for the Oocca's (and their technology, knowledge, etc.) safety. Don't forget the Sheikah seal.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ok, let's review the evidence in the context of these new assumptions.

- The statues being built for defence explains why there are so few of them and why the violent ones are only found in one place.
- The Oocca having a hand in their creation explains how the Hylians have such statues but can't create their own Dominion Rod.
- The threat of Ganondorf gives us a strong reason for why the Sky Cannon was sealed off and the possible Sheikah design of the seal suggests the Hylians were protecting either the Oocca themselves or the secrets of their defences.
- The Sheikah's failure to dicipher the Ancient Sky Book makes more sense if we believe the Oocca are the ones who removed and hid the missing characters, protecting the seal but giving the Hylians a chance to re-establish contact.
- This also fits in with the Sheikah having a vague understanding of the Dominion Rod too, as that would not be their concern in this scenario.
- The Sheikah "working" in a "forgotten" place fits with the threat of Ganondorf as they would need secrecy to prevent him learning of this whole scheme.
- The Sheikah's lack of progress with the Ancient Sky Book makes sense in this context because the information they sought was not in their hands and they did not have the Dominion Rod in order to find the missing characters.

This all paints a vivid picture of two races desperately trying to figure out how to deal with an enormous threat and being separated for centuries as an unfortunate result of their actions. However, there is a question raised by this new idea. If the seal was placed by the Sheikah, wouldn't they have a means to remove it themselves, without having to rely on the hidden characters left by the Oocca?

The intial theory was that the seal was placed without the Oocca's knowledge and the characters hidden by the Hylians but it if we believe the characters were hidden by the Oocca, yet still maintain that the seal was placed by the Sheikah (I'm very aware I am using the terms Hylians and Sheikah interchangably. I basically mean the humans of Hyrule) then we need an explanation for why the Sheikah can't remove it without the need for the hidden characters.

If we assume that the seal was placed by the Oocca, not the Sheikah, this point works itself out. The resemblance of the seal to the Sheikah symbol may be either:
1) a coincidence
2) an altered version of the eye symbol found in the City in the Sky
3) an intentional reference to the two races' co-operation

There is the possibility that the Sheikah did make the seal but it is held in place by Oocca magic that the Sheikah had no control over. This allows for the symbol to be Sheikah in origin but be something they cannot remove without the Oocca's involvement, resolving the question and fitting within the rest of the evidence. Or at least, fitting as far as I can see.

What do you guys think of all this? Does it make sense or are thhere too many leaps of the imagination?

---

Also, I noticed something while playing Twilight Princess last night that I am not trying to incorporate into this theory but want to draw attention to anyway because it relates to one of the pieces of evidence presented here.

This is the (crappy) picture of the seal on the Owl Statue blocking the Sky Cannon.

Owl Statue.jpg

I saw a very similar shape to this elsewhere, in the Twilight Realm. It was plastered on the buildings, inside the buildings and even over Zant's throne.

Twilight Symbol.jpg

Now, I don't want to start exploring this here because, frankly, it smells like fuel for a totally different theory, but I have to say I found this to be quite unusual.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The threat of Ganondorf gives us a strong reason for why the Sky Cannon was sealed off
It seems like the Oocca had been hidden for well over "a hundred and something years." But then again, the ToT had also been forgotten within that timespan. I guess Hylians are just really bad at preserving certain aspects cultural history (or really good at covering them up).

The intial theory was that the seal was placed without the Oocca's knowledge and the characters hidden by the Hylians but it if we believe the characters were hidden by the Oocca, yet still maintain that the seal was placed by the Sheikah (I'm very aware I am using the terms Hylians and Sheikah interchangably. I basically mean the humans of Hyrule) then we need an explanation for why the Sheikah can't remove it without the need for the hidden characters.
I see what you're saying now, it does seem like a contradiction that the seal bears the Sheikah symbol but can only be broken using the Sky Characters, which the Sheikah can't decipher (are we sure about that?).

Also, I noticed something while playing Twilight Princess last night that I am not trying to incorporate into this theory but want to draw attention to anyway because it relates to one of the pieces of evidence presented here.

This is the (crappy) picture of the seal on the Owl Statue blocking the Sky Cannon.

View attachment 31266

I saw a very similar shape to this elsewhere, in the Twilight Realm. It was plastered on the buildings, inside the buildings and even over Zant's throne.

View attachment 31267

Now, I don't want to start exploring this here because, frankly, it smells like fuel for a totally different theory, but I have to say I found this to be quite unusual.
Yes, that's a theory I came up with years ago. I believe the interlopers were an offshoot of the Sheikah, or the other way around. Lanayru's story tells of betrayal.

Last edited:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
If we assume that the seal was placed by the Oocca, not the Sheikah, this point works itself out. The resemblance of the seal to the Sheikah symbol may be either:
1) a coincidence
2) an altered version of the eye symbol found in the City in the Sky
3) an intentional reference to the two races' co-operation

There is the possibility that the Sheikah did make the seal but it is held in place by Oocca magic that the Sheikah had no control over. This allows for the symbol to be Sheikah in origin but be something they cannot remove without the Oocca's involvement, resolving the question and fitting within the rest of the evidence. Or at least, fitting as far as I can see.

Tentative explanation: Since the Sheikah seal nullifies the Oocca magic inside the owl statue, it needs Oocca knowledge to place and remove

It wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that the book contained more info than the one used to break the seal, perhaps it was a manual passed down by the Oocca to the Hylians so once whatever caused them to isolate passed they would have means to reestablish contact, and the knowledge got lost with the centuries

I simply don't see the Oocca as actively trying to ban the Humans permanently from their world, especially since they seem to have been very important in the creation of Hyrule

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom