• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Connection Between Skyloftian and Loftwing

Nicole

luke is my wife
One of the first things we learn as we begin Skyward Sword is that every Skyloftian is one half of a whole, completed by his or her Loftwing. We learn that they have a certain connection. In Link's case, he can "sense" when his bird is nearby (or sense that his bird isn't nearby, as we see in the beginning of the game). What I noticed, though, is that the connection between Loftwing and rider is somewhat... lacking. It seems like the bird and rider are chosen by destiny, but why does it appear like such a one-sided deal? The Loftbirds are basically used by the Skyloftians with little reward from what I've seen thus far. At any time, a Skyloftian may call for his or her bird, and the bird always comes to them, ready for their rider's command. The treatment seems a little unfair to me. The Loftwings obey their rider's every command, yet I haven't seen a bird rewarded with so much as a name yet.

If the bond between Skyloftian and Loftwing is so special, why don't they do the bare minimum and name their bird? It doesn't make much sense to me. My theory is that the Loftbirds were designed by the Goddess(es?) with an inbred nature to obey their rider to the death, so to speak, and that they pleasure deeply from fulfilling their master's desires. The most important thing to them is to please their master.

Now, of course, I realize that the game mechanics require the Loftbird to do whatever Link makes it do. Otherwise we'd have a very interesting game (could you imagine flying a Loftwing with a mind of its own?) But let's pretend the Loftbirds aren't actually forced by a controller to do what their rider tells them to do. Why do they still do it?

What do you think about the connection between Skyloftian and Loftwing? Do you agree that it seems quite one-sided? What other theories can you come up with? Also, just to put this on record, I haven't beaten the game yet, so I don't know what else happens between the Skyloftians and their Loftbirds later on. Is the connection ever expanded upon towards the end of the game? Perhaps we learn something that totally contradicts what I just said?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the opening sequences with the Loftwings. Since the announcement of Link's Crimson Loftwing, I'm sure plenty of us have been wondering what its name would be... But it turns out that "Crimson Loftwing" is as far as we'll get. Zelda calls her own Loftwing "friend" and nothing more.

I've reasoned that it's simply unconditional love. The Loftwing is content just by serving its... master.

:\ Very one-sided, though.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
You know, I didn't really think much of it... I thought of the Loftwings simply as being like cars or planes. Now I feel kind of bad for thinking of them that way. I was so quick to read and accept their cultural norms in Skyloft. Then again, I've always sucked at animal empathy.

It does seem strange, but your theory seems to make the most sense. That they were created by the goddesses to serve Hylians, and that's why they're treated the way they are.

The only alternative theories I can come up with are:

1. The birds are actually machines, and thus only appear to be animals.

2. They are named, and they do care for them, but it isn't shown in-game for some reason.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The connection is supposed to be onesided, that's the whole purpose of an animal defending its master. Naw, jux kidding.

We already know through a few early game cutscenes with Zelda that the master does aid and generally care for the Loftwings. From a certain sidequest, we also know the bird rider will go so far as to stay stranded somewhere and fruitlessly call for help. Medicine, food, all that good stuff is given to the bird, we know that from ingame stuffs. Now, what I believe is that they have names, they're just not touched upon because Nintendo wasn't feeling too Twilight Princess centric after the dev period was over. Zelda calls her Loftwing "friend", but surely she has a name for it. You don't have a bunch of one animal around and call them all '[animal name]'. Loftwings are trained, therefore they should have a name.

As far as I can tell, the subject is never touched upon in the game besides early game, and that is sparse information or so I recall.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nice connection you made between Hylian Knights and their Loftwings with Dragon Riders and their dragons in mind. :) Indeed it seems the bond can't be completed without a name, and I wish we were given that option this time. Since the Loftwings are vital when it comes to transportation they convey an enormous role in Skyward Sword. I find it somewhat lacking in that respect; even so, the experience of directing the Loftwing with the Wiimote+ is incredible. Nintendo picked the best means for getting around, IMO.

You know, I didn't really think much of it... I thought of the Loftwings simply as being like cars or planes. Now I feel kind of bad for thinking of them that way. I was so quick to read and accept their cultural norms in Skyloft. Then again, I've always sucked at animal empathy.

It does seem strange, but your theory seems to make the most sense. That they were created by the goddesses to serve Hylians, and that's why they're treated the way they are.

The only alternative theories I can come up with are:

1. The birds are actually machines, and thus only appear to be animals.

2. They are named, and they do care for them, but it isn't shown in-game for some reason.

2. Nice way of saying, "Nintendo forgot."

L

lloydvslink

Well i think it should be one-sided mostly because didnt they call the loftwings "guardian birds" The Loftwings live to find their master and serve their every whim though only zelda and link showed affection towards their birds on what i can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom