• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Biggoron's Sword

I have no idea if I'm alone on this, or if everyone has thought this, but this sword has always intrigued me. I say this because every other sword in the series has had some deep back story: being created by the gods, imprisoning horrible evil, and other things of that stature. Then there is the Biggoron's Sword, which some giant goron created. I understand that it may be his finest work, but is a blacksmiths work really on the same level of goddesses and magic?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes and no. The Biggoron Sword is not on par with the Master Sword magically; however the MS truly is only good for magical purposes. On the level of a sword, the Master Sword had gone through some wear and tear from Skyward Sword to Ocarina of Time so naturally a refined work like the BS would be better. :)

To Make sense of that, the MS is good for sealing entities away, while the BS is good at killing stuff.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't think the enemies really discriminate between being stabbed with a sword and being stabbed by a magic sword. I'm sure both hurt just as much.

And, going off OoT at least, the Master Sword is pretty much just a normal sword during use. It only becomes a 'magic' sword and does some special things during that final fight with Ganon, when it glows and then Link stabs him in the face, and of course is used to go forwards and backwards in time, but throughout the game it's pretty much just a bog-standard sword during typical combat. So, it's not really above the Biggoron sword in that regard.

I'm a defensive player most of the time, so a two-handed weapon doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me. However, during a regular fight the BS does do more damage than the Master Sword. However, not all two-handed weapons do more damage. For example, the hammer in OOT does not do as much damage as the MS by a long shot, but you can use it to stun effectively and to "cheese" difficult enemies. It'll take longer, but sometimes can lead to less damage taken. In OOT I rarely bother to get the BS because it is a two-handed sword. However, I ALWAYS get the gilded sword in MM. I just use a time-line to get the razor sword and instead of taking the razor sword to rights I just immediately go for the gilded sword. I honestly don't think "wear and tear" has anything to do with the Master Sword, as it is a blade of destiny, kept in the sacred realm, so the whole rust and chipped thing doesn't factor in at all. The Master Sword is just as awesome as it always was (except for maybe when you need to collect force gems), but hack-and-slash play styles would have some people gravitate toward alternative blades.

And, going off OoT at least, the Master Sword is pretty much just a normal sword during use. It only becomes a 'magic' sword and does some special things during that final fight with Ganon, when it glows and then Link stabs him in the face, and of course is used to go forwards and backwards in time, but throughout the game it's pretty much just a bog-standard sword during typical combat. So, it's not really above the Biggoron sword in that regard.

I know what you mean, I wish they gave the Master Sword more unique abilities like they did in ALttP where you can shoot magic out of your sword when at full health, or something else that's really creative.

But yeah, personally I'm not to fond of two handed swords. Don't get me wrong, Biggoron's Sword is awesome regardless, and doing that side quest to obtain it is really fun, and I'd like to challenge myself at times to play only using the BS sword, but the fact that two handed weapons generally leave you wide open is not to appealing to me. That, and the attacks are generally a lot slower when using the BS. I rather use the mythical Master Sword with the shield. It attacks faster, and the shield is usually always useful. As they always say, defense is your best offense. So yeah, I'm a defense player for the most part as well.

I rather use the mythical Master Sword

It's this phrase, along with everyone else discussing the magic of the MS, that makes the sentence, "The Biggoron's Sword is more powerful than the Master Sword" sound goofy to me. Dats all I'm tryin' to say.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I really love the Biggorn Sword. It's epic, and we do know that Biggoron forged it. I really think backstory would be pointless and boring after all that questing. It's a two-handed blade, and it was forged by a Goron, and it's better than the Master sword to those who like to fight without a shield. End of story.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I've always found it odd that the Biggoron's sword was stronger than the Master Sword. I mean, it's the Master Sword. With a name like that, you think it was the most powerful blade in existence, but no, some ordinarily-crafted sword is stronger. That being said, I'd like it if the Master Sword was upgradable (Is that a word? No? Upgradable is now a word.) and not able to be one-upped by your average, run-of-the-mill sword.

Yes! Thank you, that's exactly how I feel about it. I mean, all that aside, the BG is a dope sword. However, when you think about it, it's strange that something called the Master Sword isn't as powerful as something a mortal soul crafted.

I hardly ever get the Biggoron's Sword unless I'm doing a 100% run. It's just a reward for completing a fairly tough, optional side quest. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure it does twice as much damage as the Master Sword, but that's just incentive to go through the trading sequence. The BG Sword could never live up to the legendary sword of evil's bane!

E

Erebus

It completely overpowers the master sword, a two to three jump attacks and a boss is done, only three hits to kill stalfos. I am pleased with that. For speed running it saves time on enemies and kills them faster. In Ocarina of time the shield is kind of useless unless your fighting deku scrubs or fighting twin rova with the mirror shield but other then that you can dodge.

Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I'm debating is how the Biggorn's sword doesn't make sense with the story, for all of the reasons I've stated. I know it's stronger, and the debate on which one is better is really up in the air because it's preference, but it's not at all what I'm talking about. Zelda is one of my favorite game series because the story is done with so much detail. The Biggorons sword deviates from this. Does anyone else find this strange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom