• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The big 3 - Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony - A quick summary of their big game announcements @ E3

Here's a quick list of the big games talked about at E3 from the big 3. Already announced or not, they were talked about at E3. It looks like no matter which one of the big 3 you like, you're a winner.

This info is courtesy of IGN.

Microsoft:
Halo 5: Guardians
Recore
Fallout 4
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
Forza Motorsport 6
Dark Souls 3
The Division
Rainbow Six Siege
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rare Replay
Sea of Thieves
Gears of War 4

Nintendo:
Star Fox Zero
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Super Mario Maker
Amiibo Announcements
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Sony:
The Last Guardian
Star Wars Battlefront
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Disney Infinity
Hitman
Shenmue 3
Firewatch
Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
AC Syndicate

Last edited:

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
E3 2015: Sony > MS > Nintendo

On the exclusives:

MS
Halo 5 - Great
Recore - Interesting
Garden Warfare - Good sequel
Forza 6 - What you'd expect
Sea of Thieves - TWW meets Black Flag
Gears of War 4 - Ehh...

Nintendo:
Star Fox Zero - Good.
Triforce Heroes - Ehh..
Metroid Prime FF - Yuck
Animal Crossing - Gimmick
Super Mario Maker - Love it.
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - More of the same
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - More of the same

Sony:
The Last Guardian - Wow.
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Pretty cool.
Shenmue 3 - They do listen...
Firewatch - Interesting
Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake - Good for fans
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Them graphics.

I've only watched Sony's and Nintendo's conference.

On Nintendo's part, there's only one game that I have an interest in which is Star Fox Zero. As much as I love Zelda, Tri Force is probably the first game I'm going to pass up. It did not interest me one bit.

On Sony's conference, there's a few that did caught my eye. These are Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian. I might pick up Shemnue III if they release the first 2 because I've never played those and I might pick up FFVII as well.

Never liked Microsoft exclusives but Rare Replay sounds interesting, admittedly.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I'll go with Iridescence's format an focus on the exclusives.

MS
Halo 5 - Looks good though I've never seen the appeal in Halo
Recore - Looks pretty neat, but it was only cinematic
Garden Warfare - No
Forza 6 - Meh, alright series but same with Fifa as in its the same old game
Sea of Thieves - Looks awesome
Gears of War 4 - Loved the first game, second was good, third was poor so I don't know what to expect

Nintendo:
Star Fox Zero - Good for fans, but it looked average to me
Triforce Heroes - Might be fun but it screams cheap experience to fill the void of Zelda U
Metroid Prime FF - At least it's Metroid?
Animal Crossing - Meh
Super Mario Maker - Looks pretty good
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - No
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - More no

Sony:
The Last Guardian - Looks stunning and a long awaited spiritual successor to Shadow of the Colossus and ICO
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Looks really interesting and beautiful
Shenmue 3 - Not sure what to expect, but people were happy so hey
Firewatch - Yes and more yes
Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake - Doesn't appeal to me but fans seem to love it
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Big thumbs up from me
No Man's Sky - Could be one of the greatest games of this generation if done right
Dreams - Not sure what to think, but it's innovative and different which is what Media Molecule excel in

Overall I'd say Sony had the better conference, but Bethesda easily beat all three.

E3 2015: Sony > MS > Nintendo
Totally your opinion. But it's all opinion. Everyone will like different games.

For me the 3 that interested me the most were - SFZ, XCX and Mario Tennis.
I thought Super Mario Maker won't have much lasting appeal for me and it's not so great. And that's different to what you all thought about it.

Really there is no best in show and no winner, unless you count the gamer (ie us) as the winner. We were spoilt for choice. And have so many games to choose from.
The whole reason I did this topic was not to ***** over who was better. it was to say all of the big 3 had good games to talk about and fans from all 3 have something to look forward too.

[edit] I had to edit Xenoblade Chronicles into the first post here. As it was mentioned in the Nintendo video but for some reason IGN failed to mention it.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Totally your opinion. But it's all opinion. Everyone will like different games.

Of course, most things we discuss are opinionated.

For me, I try to look it in a balanced way. I like all 3 companies and aren't biased toward any one. I try to see what goal each company has in mind and how they do at meeting those goals.

With Microsoft, they delivered the traditional shooter action that they're known for, but also diversified with some colorful new IP's. Sony gave many gamers what they had long wanted with Shenmue 3, Last Guardian and such. Nintendo just didn't offer anything truly new or innovative to the table.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I would join in, but I didn't watch any others except for Nintendo's. Though I totally heard about Final Fantasy 7, which is pretty excited as a big FFVII fan myself, though not enough to make me get a PS4.

I couldn't care less what MS did or didn't do or any of the crap games.

BUT ...all I have to say is, if I didn't own a current gen console today, based off of what each company showed, I'd get a PS4. I don't own a PS4, and I likely will never, but that's just based on TODAY. Nintendo's Digital Event was shameful.

An Animal Crossing board game and Metroid Prime soccer? Oh, don't forget a half-assed Zelda spinoff and Mario Tennis. Bite me. Utter trash. Unadulterated garbage.

I get it, Nintendo is going away from the big, flashy E3 Showpieces. They're more into releasing big news in Nintendo Directs. I get that. I not only get that, I appreciate that. But all industry eyes are on you during E3. Like it or not, it's the biggest industry event. And they really did not show up. It was awful.

They showed trailers for games we already knew were coming, and at least we got solid release date for Xenoblade X, but other than that, they might as well not shown anything. Star Fox is exciting, and it looks pretty cool, but it looked VERY rough. Needs tons of polish, though it could turn out ok.

All in all, worst E3 in years.

Of course, most things we discuss are opinionated.

For me, I try to look it in a balanced way. I like all 3 companies and aren't biased toward any one. I try to see what goal each company has in mind and how they do at meeting those goals.

With Microsoft, they delivered the traditional shooter action that they're known for, but also diversified with some colorful new IP's. Sony gave many gamers what they had long wanted with Shenmue 3, Last Guardian and such. Nintendo just didn't offer anything truly new or innovative to the table.
I agree with you about MS and Sony. But I disagree with you on Nintendo. The way you play Star Fox Zero is really innovative. And totally something not really done well before by the big 3. Using both screens whenever you want to and not totally one screen or the other is great. That Gamepad cockpit view so you have that and 3rd person mode at all times whenever you want them is huge. And you'll use the gamepad gyro to move the Arwing to a point. That's really something the other bug two are not looking into at the moment. That was Nintendo's big moment at E3. Their whole puppet show led up to it. Nintendo is getting the gamers to play games in different ways. Not just a standard controller and buttons and not just a keyboard and mouse.

I am sure that will only interest Star Fox fans mostly and maybe other Nintendo fans who might invest in SFZ. But that's no different to MS's and Sony's efforts too. Both pretty good. I would say neither of the big 3 had any system selling games. Just games you'll love if you already own the system. Nothing huge enough to plop down $300+ just to play the game. But this kind of makes sense. We are currently mid cycle in the hardware area. Most people have already chosen the consoles they want. And the big 3 don't need to make console selling games. So they didn't. All 3 just put out a lot of good games for the consoles people already own.

2016 though, that's the year the current console cycle will slowly start to wind down. Nintendo will talk NX. And I think in 2017, Sony and MS will start talking about their new hardware offerings. Sure they will not be on sale for years to come, but we'll be getting some hard information about them.

All in all, worst E3 in years.
Different strokes for different folks as they say. Personally I'm really into the new Mario Tennis game, XCX and SFZ. And I really enjoyed how Miyamoto talked about how the idea for SFZ came about.

Nintendo put out their future line up of games just like MS and Sony did. So we know what to start saving up for. We should just be glad for that. And if you don't like a talked about game, just pass on it. Everyone will like something different from E3. I'm not against the fact you didn't like Nintendo's showing. But you liked MS's or Sony's showing ya? That's all that matters. It's not a competition, (well apart from getting our customer $$ in game sales). But on the E3 floor it's all about showing off what you have to offer. All 3 did a good job.

People need to stop seeing E3 as MS vs Nintendo vs Sony vs everyone else. And start seeing E3 as gaming's event to beat all other events. And the winner is us the gamer. E3 only becomes bad when you can't find a single talked about game (from any developer/publisher) that you like. If you find even just 1 game you like from E3, then you've won.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree with you about MS and Sony. But I disagree with you on Nintendo. The way you play Star Fox Zero is really innovative. And totally something not really done well before by the big 3. Using both screens whenever you want to and not totally one screen or the other is great. That Gamepad cockpit view so you have that and 3rd person mode at all times whenever you want them is huge. And you'll use the gamepad gyro to move the Arwing to a point. That's really something the other bug two are not looking into at the moment. That was Nintendo's big moment at E3. Their whole puppet show led up to it. Nintendo is getting the gamers to play games in different ways. Not just a standard controller and buttons and not just a keyboard and mouse.

I am sure that will only interest Star Fox fans mostly and maybe other Nintendo fans who might invest in SFZ. But that's no different to MS's and Sony's efforts too. Both pretty good. I would say neither of the big 3 had any system selling games. Just games you'll love if you already own the system. Nothing huge enough to plop down $300+ just to play the game. But this kind of makes sense. We are currently mid cycle in the hardware area. Most people have already chosen the consoles they want. And the big 3 don't need to make console selling games. So they didn't. All 3 just put out a lot of good games for the consoles people already own.

2016 though, that's the year the current console cycle will slowly start to wind down. Nintendo will talk NX. And I think in 2017, Sony and MS will start talking about their new hardware offerings. Sure they will not be on sale for years to come, but we'll be getting some hard information about them.

They are bringing out Halo 5, for Pete's sake. How is that not a system selling game?

They are bringing out Halo 5, for Pete's sake. How is that not a system selling game?
Do you know anyone who wants Halo 5 who already does not have an Xbox? I don't. I know a lot of Halo fans. But all of them have Xboxes. I am aware that sample size is too small to go off. But I think Halo 5 will sell a few consoles but the majority already play the previous Halo games on their Xbox. But we shall see what the Xbox console sales are that week and then we will know.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Different strokes for different folks as they say. Personally I'm really into the new Mario Tennis game, XCX and SFZ. And I really enjoyed how Miyamoto talked about how the idea for SFZ came about.

Nintendo put out their future line up of games just like MS and Sony did. So we know what to start saving up for. We should just be glad for that. And if you don't like a talked about game, just pass on it. Everyone will like something different from E3. I'm not against the fact you didn't like Nintendo's showing. But you liked MS's or Sony's showing ya? That's all that matters. It's not a competition, (well apart from getting our customer $$ in game sales). But on the E3 floor it's all about showing off what you have to offer. All 3 did a good job.

People need to stop seeing E3 as MS vs Nintendo vs Sony vs everyone else. And start seeing E3 as gaming's event to beat all other events. And the winner is us the gamer. E3 only becomes bad when you can't find a single talked about game (from any developer/publisher) that you like. If you find even just 1 game you like from E3, then you've won.

I couldn't care less what MS does. As far as I'm concerned, they don't exist. Their exclusives make me laugh, their hardware is garbage, etc., etc.. Ergo, I did not waste my life watching whatever they showed. Halo Remake Ultra HD Space War 15 and Gears of War 7 or whatever they're up to with that nonsense.

I also didn't watch Sony's, mostly bc I don't own a PS4, and don't plan on getting one, though if I were to splash money for another console at this point, it would be a PS4. No games currently out on it that make me say "I just have to have one", but who can say what the future holds.

I don't see E3 as anyone vs anyone. But it has to be said, Nintendo had a poor showing. To be clear, I'm a Nintendo fan. A big one. I grew up playing Nintendo, I've owned every single Nintendo console and handheld (except for the Virtual Boy). I've been playing Nintendo for longer than most people on this forum have been alive.

That little life story out of the way, Nintendo did a poor job. E3 is an opportunity for a company to show off hardware or software. At this point in the generation life cycle, it's important to keep interest high. For Nintendo specifically, this was an opportunity to get some momentum after last year's awesome E3 and especially after Splatoon has been such a hit. Instead, they gave up a bunch of mini-games, spin-offs, and a really rough looking (though interesting to be sure) Star Fox game.

To be fair, only XB fans care about Halo. No one else really does, and people who care about Halo already have an XBO.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I couldn't care less what MS does. As far as I'm concerned, they don't exist. Their exclusives make me laugh, their hardware is garbage, etc., etc.. Ergo, I did not waste my life watching whatever they showed. Halo Remake Ultra HD Space War 15 and Gears of War 7 or whatever they're up to with that nonsense.

I also didn't watch Sony's, mostly bc I don't own a PS4, and don't plan on getting one, though if I were to splash money for another console at this point, it would be a PS4. No games currently out on it that make me say "I just have to have one", but who can say what the future holds.

I like to respect people's opinions but this made me cringe.

To be fair, only XB fans care about Halo. No one else really does, and people who care about Halo already have an XBO.

Not true. I have a PC gamer friend who cares about Halo. Me and him still play through The MCC. But taken as a hyperbole, your quote can be seen to hold merit.

I like to respect people's opinions but this made me cringe.
I agree, that made me cringe too.

Nintendo had a poor showing
This made me cringe too.
You seem so full of negativity about E3 this year. I understand you're allowed to have your own opinion. But really in the end of the day there's only two important factors. Can I afford to play the games I want. And do I think the games I might want are very fun to play. Because at the end of the day, we play games because they entertain us. We don't play games we hate (unless you're a game reviewer paid to do so). How good or bad the hardware is, matters but not a whole lot. As long as it's affordable and good enough to allow the games we play to be fun, that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom