• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Best Non-Voiced Character Moments in Zelda

Mido

Version 1
The subject of voice acting in the Legend of Zelda series sometimes has been a hot topic for a series not known for it. The hype was reasonably high, as it seemed the series was ready to play with the big boys (or at least the big boys of conventional voiceover). Upon the release of BOTW, reception to the voice acting was mixed. While Yours Truly did not mind the voice acting, I always wondered whether the series truly needed it given its history of creating effective character moments and interactions without the use of conventional dialogue. Often, the emotion conveyed from characters emerged through the use of character expressions and music.

With this in mind, what are some of you favorite character moments in the series that have not used conventional voice acting? How were these scenes enhanced (the use of music, the characters' expressions/body language, etc.)?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
First thing that comes to mind is when Tetra becomes Zelda, the way she's just standing there in disbelief. Then when Link's leaving the way she reaches out her hand to apologize to him.

Also in TP, after Midna destroys the shell around the castle and the little nod she shares with Link when he catches her is good.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
First thing that comes to mind is when Tetra becomes Zelda, the way she's just standing there in disbelief. Then when Link's leaving the way she reaches out her hand to apologize to him.
welcome to the cool kids club

one of my favorite moments (aside from literally every story beat in wind waker let's be honest) is when link arrives at the temple of time in skyward sword, and you're given 3 dialogue options. I always choose "Am I late?" because Impa's smile after that is just chef's kiss

also everything ghirahim does

I'd like to throw ocarina of time songs out there, but realistically they're not that great, you just kind of put your own imagination into it and it means a lot more

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Right off the bat, I'd have to call out the interactions with the Ordon Village kids in TP. While never explicitly stated, you can tell how much Link cares about them. They're the reason he's doing all of this, it started off with him trying to protect and essentially be a big brother to them. It's nice that they're able to show his personality without straight coming out and telling us. It's gives it more power that way.

There's also in botw when Zelda finally unlocks her sealing ability. That scene is so powerful, not just for her, but for Link as well. While Zelda does have some spoken lines there, a lot of it is played out in action. Link is willing to die to protect her, and her determination to protect him, thta instinct to reach out, is what finally unlocks the thing she's been fighting for all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom