• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Best Marketing Campaigns in Gaming

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Must consoom.

I was recently scrolling through my recommended videos on YouTube when I found this commercial:

Now this alone is a pretty sweet commercial (I’m not entirely sure why its going for an early 1900s style though, the Layton games are set in the 60s) so I looked into it a bit more, and there was also a massive ad campaign involving interactive YouTube ads and even an ARG.

oof that last bit aged like fine human corpses

Needless to say, this was a really cool marketing campaign for a game that they clearly had a lot of faith in, and that faith clearly wasn’t misplaced due to how well the game sold.

So what are some other good cool or interesting marketing campaigns you’ve seen?

Last edited:

Not sure why Nintendo doesn't keep marketing their games like this

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I remember back in 2010 for the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns, Nintendo Australia had a giant banana hoard placed in Sydney near the Sydney Opera House and altered a famous landmark in another part of my state “The Big Banana” with a giant bite sticker. Source

nice that they donated the ones that people didnt take home....

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Make one of the most acclaimed animated Netflix series of all time to advertise your game that not even the people playing it enjoy
Clearly you’re talking about Skylanders Academy. I mean, that was pretty obvious to me but you didn’t specify so I was pointing it out to those with less superior intellect.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think I'll go w/ the whole "Wii would like to play" commercials from when the Wii was brand new, just a couple of Japanese men showing off the Wii and motion controls in U.S. homes

also any marketing thing that involves getting a free game is always awesome, like Ocarina of Time Master Quest for pre ordering Wind Waker

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Im surprised that nobody has mentioned the Smash Dojo yet. Smash 4 and Ultimate had their fair share of marketing too but neither of them were as cool as getting a daily tidbit of info on the game.

I mean I guess that might not count as marketing since most of the people who cared about the Dojo were already planning to buy the game but still.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Fallout 4's Nuka World DLC Trailer
The DLC itself was... somewhat disappointing. The setting and rewards were fantastic but I didn't like how the story forced you to be a raider boss, taking away player choice. You can somewhat fix it with mods but without a real "good guy" branch in the story built in that offers similar rewards (the only one there skips 95% of the DLC's content and all of the main quest rewards) it was a huge missed opportunity. That said, the Nuka World DLC trailer is I think one of the best video game trailers ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom