• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Best in Each Regard?

Which game had the best story?

• Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Ages/Seasons

• The Wind Waker

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Total voters

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Okay, so we all have a favorite game. But we all like different games for different reasons. Sometimes it's because the gameplay was fun. Sometimes it's because of the story. And sometimes, the soundtrack wins its way into our hearts. While fans will be eternally arguing over which game is best, we can at least grant that each game was definitely strongest in some areas. This thread is dedicated to discovering what aspects each game is strong in. The categories are: Story, characters, soundtrack, overworld, dungeons, replay value, graphics, and story gimmick (for example, season-changing in Oracle of Ages or Wolf Link in Twilight Princess).

Note: The Oracle games will be put together as a single game, as they aren't sequels as much as they're a single, overarching story. This really shouldn't affect anything other than the story gimmick, as that's what separated them.

Okay, so, for my votes.

Story: I'm going to have to say Link's Awakening for this one. The pacing of the story was very good, it was highly original compared to other Zelda storylines, and it really made you think, too. Even to this day, the ending remains the most ambiguous out of all Zelda games, and requires almost philosophical thinking.

Characters: Majora's Mask, hands down. Twilight Princess also included a lot of character development, but due to the unique way Majora's Mask was set up, the characters were actually people, as opposed to just NPCs. They had actual lives, and the game really wanted to make you save them.

Soundtrack: The Wind Waker. This was a tough one, but the light, airy music was just so fun and filled with adventure that it took the gold over the N64 games. It may not have the most memorable or famous songs, but it has the most beautiful and catchy ones. Honorable mention goes to Spirit Tracks, since almost immediately many of the songs were making Zelda music top ten lists.

Overworld: This one goes to The Minish Cap. The overworld was quick and easy to navigate, and warping made travel even faster, but it was still almost a puzzle. The overworld almost became an extra dungeon with some pretty clever puzzles.

Dungeons: This one belongs to Twilight Princess. The dungeons in this game all had creative atmospheres that made them seem like real places that had actual purpose in being there. Rather than random structures, they were everything from abandoned ruins to mansions with actual inhabitants. Easily the strongest point of TP.

Replay value: The Oracle games for this one. Play through one game, move on to the next. After that, there's another playthrough that gives you an extra heart if you "truly" want to beat it. And then once you have, you can do the same thing, only play through the other game first, giving you a slightly different story! On top of that, between the two of them, there are a huge amount of dungeons (8 in each, plus two final dungeons and probably some mini-dungeons). And as for 100% completion...well, they were my first Zelda games, and I've played through them multiple times, and I still haven't gotten all the rings.

Graphics: Say what you want about this one, but I'm going with The Wind Waker. Rather than "cartoony" I found them artistic and clever, especially the effects like explosions, where you could see all the detail and not just a ball of fire and smoke. On top of that, the art style allowed for a much greater range of facial expressions for the characters, giving the overall story more emotion.

Story gimmick: This is a tough one, but I'm going to have to say Majora's Mask. Link has four different forms (five, counting the Fierce Deity) and can use the other masks to do all sorts of fun things. And after all, who didn't love swimming around as Zora Link?

So those are my opinions. Feel free to share your own reasoning behind your votes!

edit: Okay, looks like I can't figure out how to have more than one poll question, so unless someone's willing to help me figure out this forum type, I'm just going to remove it and allow you to vote in the thread...or not even remove it, since I can't even seem to figure that one out....

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
There's actually no way to create multiple polls in a single thread. You would have to either create separate threads for each of those categories, or collect the data without using a poll.

When we're dealing with multiple subjects, we resort to something a bit more primative.

Story: Majora's Mask

Characters: Link's Awakening

Soundtrack: Ocarina of Time

Overworld: Link's Awakening

Dungeons: A Link to the Past

Replay value: Legend of Zelda

Graphics: Wind Waker

Story gimmick: Spirit Tracks

You'll have to tally the votes by hand.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Difficult to decide between TP and WW but to me WW had more unpredictable storyline. I wasn't expecting Tetra to be a descendant of Zelda. Storyline TP was somewhat predictable except for the location of the Temple of Time that was the only unexpected thing for me and Midna at the end.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Story: Majora's Mask. It's not one of those "regular" Zelda games. It has a much darker tone to it, with the Moon falling and all. The story of Majora's Mask wasn't just to save Termina as a whole, but to save every individual altogether.

Characters:
Majora's Mask, again. This also has to do with what I just said--the characters are probably the most important aspect of the game. It's pretty obvious why; you're given the Bomber's Notebook, which helps you to solve the characters' problems for them... And then there's the giant Anju & Kafei sidequest...

Soundtrack:
...For the longest while, I've tried to avoid this question. It's the most impossible thing ever. >_< But when it comes down to it... I have to say... That... Twilight Princess had the best soundtrack, with Ocarina of Time as an extremely close second. There's not much to explain about this. I just really like TP's songs. :3

Overworld:
Twilight Princess. Even though lots of people label TP's Hyrule Field as "bland" and "boring," personally, I think that it's very fun to hang around in. :D I love big, wide open spaces that you can explore on foot (so the giant overworlds in TWW, PH, and ST don't count), and since you can also ride Epona around it, it's even better. ^_^

Dungeons:
I'll have to go with Ocarina of Time for this one. While I liked Twilight Princess's dungeons as well, Ocarina of Time's dungeons stood out to me more. You had to trek through the innards of something for the first three dungeons (the Great Deku Tree, the remains of a giant dead Dodongo, and a fish god, Jabu-Jabu), and the last five are elemental.

Replay value:
Twilight Princess. :D This is purely personal, since I know almost everyone else will disagree with me... Twilight Princess is replayable because everything I do in the game (EXCEPT ROLLGOAL! >_<) is fun. Counting every single breakable object in a specific dungeon is fun. I've done it before, with Arbiter's Grounds and the Temple of Time. ;D

Graphics:
Twilight Princess. I generally dislike bright, cartoony, and colourful graphics (and yet I love Skyward Sword's graphics XD), so every game with Toon Link is out of the list. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had great graphics for their time, but I see Twilight Princess as the updated version of those graphics.

Story gimmick:
Majora's Mask. 4+ transformations and a bunch of cool masks?! 8D

...Hmm. I hope I don't seem too biased, considering I only chose three games, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time. o_O Don't get me wrong, I think the other games are great also! This is only personal, after all. :D

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Story: Twilight Princess

Characters: Majora's Mask

Soundtrack: The Wind Waker

Overworld: A Link to the Past

Dungeons: Twilight Princess

Replay value: A Link to the Past

You had to trek through the innards of something for the first three dungeons (the Great Deku Tree, the remains of a giant dead Dodongo, and a fish god, Jabu-Jabu
Wut? You were just in a cave for Dodongo's Cavern, not in a giant dead Dodongo.

Graphics: Twilight Princess

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Story: Majora's Mask. C'mon, a moon is falling on Termina, and you have to save the world from being demolished by it. What isn't to love there?

Characters: Majora's Mask again. You really got a chance to get to know and generally care about the people of Termina, which made it all the more fun.

Soundtrack: Ocarina of Time. Pretty personal to me I suppose. It's the only soundtrack I can consistently listen to.

Overworld:
A Link to the Past. There was a lot to do everywhere you went, along with it being aesthetically pleasing.

Dungeons: Twilight Princess. OoT was a close 2nd, but TP is filled with spectacular dungeons (other than City in the Sky...)

Replay Value: Ocarina of Time. It's the one I've played the most, as the combination of fun dungeons and a good story give it great replay value.

Graphics: Twilight Princess... it's not really a contest. It looks great, I don't see how any one could pick anything other than Wind Waker (which should be the only 2nd place, simply out of personal preference.)

Story Gimmick: Majora's Mask. You have 3 days, the ability to go back in time, along with tons of masks that all do different things. Wind Waker could easily be my 2nd place in this category.

Majora's Mask got 3 nods for me, but it's not the one I think is best overall. It would be Ocarina of Time. It's 2nd (or top 4 or 5) in enough things that it actually blew every other game away imo. I'm actually now realizing I voted Ocarina of Time in the poll, even though the poll was for best story, not best overall game when considering these other categories, so sorry for the extra vote for OoT.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Hmmm. My opinions, from games I've played...

Story: Twilight Princess. It dervived from titles that came before, but the story felt the most complex and in-depth to me. It also felt very mature and there was quite a bit of worldbuilding. Not only was this Hyrule built upon the ruins of another age, said age was referenced.

Characters: I'm tied between TP and MM for this one. I'd probably go with TP because the characters felt very real to me - the Ordon village children acted very much like children do, and of course, you have a very fleshed-out partner in Midna. At the same time, I really felt for certain characters in Majora's Mask - such as Kafei and Anju's little history and quagmire, and people like Grog, who knew the moon was falling but only wanted to have his dream of seeing his little chickens grow up into magnficent roosters. And, of course, the dead heroes you impersonate with their little histories - save the Deku (and I made up my own history for him).

Soundtrack: A tie between Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Probably Wind Waker, just because the Legendary Hero and Dragon's Roost Island scores are so pleasing to my ears.

Overworld: Adventure of Link. Come on, there was all sorts of terrain, huge islands over the sea and a multitude of *actual cities/towns!* I'd love to see a Zelda game give Hyrule that number of actual towns again, instead of the formula of Castle Town-Kakariko-Whatever Village Link Is From.

Dungeons: Ocarina of Time. The dungeons were challenging and aesthetically pleasing to me. I mean... Shadow Temple = pure awesome for me.

Replay Value: Probably A Link to the Past. It's a very cute game - straightforward, but with sweet little touches like the potion witch and bug-catching kid. The Dark World is just...utter surrealist fun.

Gimmick: Majora's Mask - taking over for dead heroes and becoming not one other species, but three, the falling moon and the time-limit... just very unique, challenging, and really flexes the gameplay options. One can have so much fun just swimming around as a Zora or rolling as a Goron, or seeing how people react to you in your various forms.

M

Mujura

Story: OoT or TP. I just loved these stories. They are amazing. They both are really interesting, plus I loved that TP was so dark.
Characters: Majora's Mask. You can't get close to these characters. I really like Mikau.
Soundtrack: OoT. It just sounds so epic. Plus, I love Gerudo Valley.
Overworld: TLoZ (NES) This was just so huge, and you were completely able to walk it from the beginning.
Dungeons: I can't decide at all. I love every games dungeons.
Replay value: Can't say. Only replayed OoT.
Graphics: I love the dark, realistic graphics of Twilight Princess.
Story Gimmick: TP. Loved wolf form. The second best thing that happened to the series besides becoming 3D.

Story: OoT or TP. I just loved these stories. They are amazing. They both are really interesting, plus I loved that TP was so dark.
Characters: Majora's Mask. You can't get close to these characters. I really like Mikau.
Overworld: TLoZ (NES) This was just so huge, and you were completely able to walk it from the beginning.
Story Gimmick: TP. Loved wolf form. The second best thing that happened to the series besides becoming 3D.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
There are some games I haven't played (mainly handhelds) and some I haven't replayed yet. Still, I'll take a stab at it.

Story: To me, there's a lot of overlap between story, characters, and gimmick, and when I first started to consider the question, was balancing Majora's Mask on one hand and Twilight Princess on the other. And then I thought harder and thought that for straight story, I'd probably pick Ocarina of Time, as the coming-of-age story is part of what makes it a classic. Also, Link and Zelda's innocence backfiring on them mid-story, which was actually what allowed the future events to come to pass, was a great storytelling twist.

Characters: Tie between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. One thing I liked about Majora's Mask was how the characters intertwined, such as Kafei, Anju, and Cremia. And you also got to see how they reacted to impending doom (like Cremia deciding Romai is adult enough to drink Chateau Romani.) Then, of course, you also saw their day-to-day routine, giving you a sense of what their lives were like. And on Twilight Princess' side, there's Midna's character growth, as well as some of the others (such as Colin and Prince Ralis), and I also liked the back stories (such as Impaz.) And both games had an interesting diversity of characters.

Soundtrack: Right now I'm going to go with Majora's Mask. That being said, I've only played Wind Waker once, and I know it has some strong contenders. When I replay it, I may change my mind. Twilight Princess also has a lot of personal favorites, but when I'm listening to the songs outside the context of the game, MM's end up being most memorable to me.

Overworld: Oddly, one of the hardest to choose for me, but I'm going to go with a tie between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Twilight Princess, though it could have used the space better, was the first time I thought, "Wow, Hyrule is huge." It's also one of the only games where, once all paths are open to me, I will often skip warping and just dash from place to place, either on Epona or as a wolf. On the other hand, Wind Waker, while I had some problems with its pacing, really shined with all its explorable areas. I will give an honorable mention to Minish Cap - it felt compact but still extremely diverse, and exploring the world while Minish-sized was too fun.

Dungeons: Probably Ocarina of Time. It's a little slow to get into the hardest puzzles, but the latter dungeons greatly make up for it. The bosses, for the most part, also have comparable difficulty to the dungeons. Second runner-up is Twilight Princess., and one thing I liked is that for the most part, it skipped the "beginner dungeons" and went straight to the Forest Temple as the first dungeon.

Replay value: Majora's Mask, because it's so easy to miss little details the first time around, and those really help to make that game, especially when it comes to characterization. I also find it challenging to 100% even now. However, the very first Legend of Zelda is also extremely replayable if you're not using a walk through, considering there could conceivably be a secret behind every single burnable bush or bombable rock, and it's easy to get lost in some of the dungeons, especially in the second quest. (I'd love to witness the reaction of the first person to realize some walls weren't bombable but could be walked through.)

Graphics: Twilight Princess. I don't think every Zelda game should have the same graphics, but I do think they worked for the story, and they allowed for beautiful places like the Fishing Hole and Zora's Domain. As a side note, I really look forward to seeing what OoT looks like on the 3DS. I think they might be just what I'd like in a handheld.

Gimmick: Majora's Mask, hands down, for the sheer number of masks there were and how integral the main transformation masks were to the story and to solving the puzzles. That being said, I must have a personal preference for transformation, because my other favorites were changing into a wolf in Twilight Princess and changing into a Minish-sized Link in Minish Cap.

Story: Ocarina of Time

Characters: Wind Waker

Soundtrack: Wind Waker

Overworld: A Link to the Past. This one is no contest. A huge detailed overworld that is open to be explored in the beginning (for the most part)

Dungeons: A Link to the Past. Great design. Challenging but fun to figure out

Replay Value: A Link to the Past. I've probably beaten it over 20 times and I still can enjoy it

Graphics: Twilight Princess / Wind Waker. I really liked both styles of graphics

Items: Minish Cap. Lots of unique items that hadn't been seen before, it was really refreshing

Nye Pendragon

derparific
(After beating/playing most of the games, I feel I can finally contribute to some of these threads. <X3)

Hmmm. Here are my thoughts. :3

STORY: Have to give this one to Twilight Princess. It's dramatic, complex and suprisingly mature in some parts. I know everybody disagrees and most will say Majora's Mask for its depth, but not me. It had great character developement and plenty of suprises, big and small. It's not a very unique story, but it IS unique to Zelda and it was done wonderfully. Best executed story I've seen in a Zelda game.

CHARACTERS: I would love to say TP because I felt the characters were very real, if a little flat. Because not all people are terribly interesting. X> BUT. I will have to give this one to Majora's Mask. Everybody had depth. Even a character like the spazstic Mail Man had depth. Everyone felt so lifelike and well-rounded because the focus of the story of Majora's Mask was on the characters themselves. The character's stories would invoke feelings of sadness, despair and pity from me because of the situation they were in. But some of them were just CRAZY! Like the Happy Mask Salesmen. Just because he was nuts and such doesn't mean he didn't have a great character. He's one my favorites from Majora's Mask because he's so well done. :3

SOUNDTRACK: Wind Waker, hands down. Every song was upbeat and unique. I loved the inclusion of instruments like bag pipes and strings rather than just piano/guitar music. I loved all of the songs and felt that they complemented the Overworld and game itself very well. A close second would have to be Spirit Tracks, for its beautiful pan flute melodies.

OVERWORLD : You know, I'm not actually sure. I love the vastness of Adventure of Link but it's rather empty. I love Twilight Princess' simply because everything is so beautiful to look at.
BUT. I'm going to pick Majora's Mask. Everything has something going on. There's stuff to do everywhere. Everything is bursting with life! There isn't an uneeded piece of space anywhere. Though it is compact and possibly the smallest of the series, I love Majora's Mask's because it's just so well done! Everything is so unique, from design of Clock Town to the dungeons! I absolutely love how this game looks and is designed.

DUNGEONS: Based on my expierence, I love Twilight Princess' the most. They're well-designed, fun puzzles and are just MASSIVE in parts! I love how everything looks so unique from dungeon to dungeon. Even the Forest Temple is totally different from any forest temple before. The City in the Sky is my favorite, design wise. It's just really awesome.

REPLAY VALUE: I'd have to go with Wind Waker. It's easy and fun, and there's just so many side quests! It's a great game to just sit down with and have fun because it isn't especially challenging but not boring either. Every game can be a little different depending on how you do the quests and such.

GIMMICK: Majora's Mask. Come on, seriously? It's one of the more unique Zelda games with its plethora of side quests, great characters and SERIOUSLY? You can be THREE different types of people! Everybody talks to you differently as each form, it's really interesting to see the world of Termina from a Zora or Deku's point of view.

Story: Twilight Princess. It was much more mature than what we've seen before in a Zelda game, and not to mention the graphics were great.

Characters: Ocarina of Time. They were just so silly and you actually felt close to the characters. They were so realistic that you could call them your friends.

Soundtrack: Wind Waker. All of the tunes just felt right. They were bright and cheery, and all set the tone for the occasion.

Overworld: Twilight Princess. It's so stunning how you can fit all of Hyrule into one game, and it was done in Twilight Princess beautifully and it was great fun to walk all around Hyrule.

Dungeons: This is tough, but I'm going to say Twilight Princess. All of them are greatly designed and feature unique bosses and puzzles, even if they were on the easy side.

Replay value: Legend of Zelda. Second Quest anyone?

Graphics: Twilight Princess. Like I said above, everything is rich in detail, and the whole packaged is well presented and designed.

Story gimmick: Phantom Hourglass. I hated returning to the Temple of the Ocean King......

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
OoT,MM,and TP had pretty great stories, but when it comes down to it I would say MM's story was the best it was very intrigeaging. It wasn't done at the time which was pretty cool too. I also think it was the darkest zelda-wise, it was so apocalyptic.

Kybyrian

Story: I'd probably have to go with Majora's Mask on this one. The story was based around an evil mask inhabited by a demon call Majora, thus Majora's Mask. The mask, and thus Majora, took over Skull Kid and then sent the moon crashing down to Termina. It's a pretty good story if you ask me, and there was a lot of emotion to it that was seen in the game that really adds to it.

Characters: I'm going to have to go with Majora's Mask once again on this one. Majora's Mask had absolutely wonderful characters. Pretty much every single character in the game had a story to them. The best example of this would be Anju and Kafei. Anju and Kafei had great stories to them and a great sidequest that went through them. Two amazing characters right there, and the others stand out almost as much as them if you go into them. There are quite a few sidequests in Majora's Mask, most revolving around other "minor" characters.

Soundtrack: I'd probably go with The Wind Waker on this one. Some of the boss battle themes had really good music and Dragon Roost theme was just awesome. The upbeat feeling of most of the music was really the way to go in the game. The sailing theme could get quite boring after a while, but it was good nonetheless. Most of the music in The Wind Waker was just great. The best to date in my opinion.

Overworld: I think I've fallen in love with Ocarina of Time's overworld. I don't particularly like the overworlds of 2D games, but they're good. Ocarina of Time probably had one of the more simple overworlds out of most of the 3D games. The 2D are at the bottom of my list. It was easy to get familiar with and it still seemed pretty darn good. It was probably all of the hills they put in. A little variation.

Dungeons: I personally really liked the dungeons from Ocarina of Time. Most notably being the Spirit Temple and the Shadow Temple. Both had wonderful dungeons and I couldn't get enough of them. It may be a large nostalgia factor, but whether there is or not I still love them.

Replay Value: Ocarina of Time again. I felt that the story of Ocarina of Time and the dungeons were something that you could play through quite a few times and never get sick of. I've beaten Ocarina of Time so many times that I've lost track. It was a great game with a great replay value. I could start up a new game right now and be able to enjoy it, even though I just beat another playthrough not so long ago.

Graphics: The Wind Waker comes up here. I happen to really like the style of graphics they used in The Wind Waker. Toon Link looked great and the buildings, dungeons, bosses, etc. all looked pretty darn good in this style. Twilight Princess just seems wrong to me and the other games don't have graphics good enough to really compare.

Story Gimmick: Don't really know what to choose... but I guess I would go with Majora's Mask on this one.

All of the games have great parts, of course, but there are some that just happen to come out on top. There were a lot of close runner-ups that I thought of when I made this.

Story:
I vote Majora's Mask for this one. Majora's Mask had an excellent story. The very fact that there were only three days before the moon fell and destroy Termina because of an imp possessed by a single mask is enough for it to win this category. Also, because of the destruction of Termina was near, it brought plenty of emotion to the many characters in this game.

Characters:
Majora's Mask would get this, too. The characters were all great with different stories. The ones that stick out the most are Anju and Kafei. I think it's safe too say that anyone who has played Majora's Mask can agree that the end of the Anju/Kafei sidequest was one of the most heart-warming moments in all of Zelda.

Besides those two, the other characters were pretty interesting. The Mailman especially. I just find it odd that the Mailman's life is in danger, but he still does his work, if you're doing the Anju/Kafei sidequest. After that, he says his job is done and decides to evacuate Termina.

Then there's Romani and Cremia. I remember when I went to Romani Ranch on the final day, plenty of things happened. During the day, when you talk to them in the shed, Romani says that Cremia said that she (Romani) was old enough to have a drink of Chateau Romani. Also during this conversation, Cremia asks Romani to sleep with her in her bed that night. This shows that Cremia cares for Romani.
Romani is completely oblivious about the moon falling. On the night of the final day, if you talk to Romani and Cremia as they walk out of the shed and back to their house, you will find out that Romani is clueless to the entire situation. Her ignorance made me feel quite sad.

Soundtrack:
Spirit Tracks. I just love its soundtrack. It's brilliant. The soundtrack on there is the only video game music I have on my iPod. I loved the music for the final Malladus fight and the Sacred Duet played to reveal his weak point. The overworld music was also nice.

Overworld:
I would have to say the Legend of Zelda for this one. The overworld in there is pretty simple, but it holds many secrets. Also, the dungeons were all hidden somewhere in this overworld and it was infested with plenty of enemies. This sometimes made it difficult to navigate.

Dungeons:
The Adventure of Link wins this for me. Simply because of their difficulty. This game is probably the only game out of the series that makes you rely on your magic every screen/room you get to. The enemies were great. Some of the enemies could have been bosses themselves. The bosses were also excellent. Though most of their weaknesses were their heads, it was still quite difficult to land a hit on them.

Replay Value:
Though I have never actually replayed any of the Zelda games I own, I would have to say that the Adventure of Link would win this for me. I enjoy classic 8-bit games. This one is also pretty challenging, more challenging than the Legend of Zelda, without anything to help you.

Graphics:
This is a tough one between the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I love the graphics in both of them, but for this, I will say the Wind Waker. I loved the cel-shading in this game. It made for some nice effects, such as the bombs, and the light arrows when they hit their target. It was also very artistic and colorful, so it easily became one of my favorites because of it.

Story Gimmick:
Majora's Mask gets this one. The transformation masks were nice. Being able to transform into a Deku, Goron or Zora, or Fierce Deity Link put a nice touch to it. Also the other minor masks. Some of them were able to greatly affect the way you played the game, such as the Bunny Hood, since you could do everything faster than Link normally does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom