• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Best Concepts from Previous Zelda Games for Zelda Wii U

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Let me be frank with all of you, there is a reason we have had so many remakes....
Aonuma remade Ocarina of Time 3D, to see the great design that made Zelda fresh and new, and amazing again.
He then revisited Wind Waker with WWHD. He saw the great power of exploration in a 3D envirement, and some of the horrible design flaws it had while travelling, so he could make travelling more interesting.
He is taking a look at the original LoZ, showing the freedom and difficulty of the original, and why it hooked fans in.
He revisited A Link to the Past via A Link Between Worlds. He is thinking of the time when OoT never existed to live in its shadow, and to create something fresh while providing something old.
He rewent back into the world of Majoras Mask. Aonuma himself even admits that MM had the best sidequests and mood of any Zelda games, and I think he hopes to implement these better sidequests and character development(I think this is one of the reasons Zelda U was delayed).
And finally, Aonuma visited something outside of his comfort zone, and saw what other developers could do with the brand of HW. Here Aonuma is taking a look at modern game design(Aonuma even notes how amazing the cutscenes looked, and the replayability of this hack and slash genre, and he more of what people want to see regarding characters).
Don't you see?
Aonuma is trying to take the best parts of all of these games, and create something new. It is an ambitious and daunting task, but damn it is surely respectable. I think Zelda Wii U will at least try to be the best Zelda experience we have seen. Whether it flops in its ideals though, that remains to be seen.
So the question remains. What concepts of each Zelda game would you like to see in Zelda Wii U?

D

Deleted member 81859

With such a large world, I become very excited at the thought of side quests. There are probably lots of NPCs to inhabit areas, and so much space to explore. Side quests could become an integral part of the game, not just little bonus missions, as some games made them feel like.

TP's sword play; hidden skills, running and slashing your sword at the same time

WW's freedom and ease of travel

OoT's: wonderful character interaction and integration (sage characters etc bigger roles in the story)

MM's creative sidequests and personal missions for emotional reward as well as heart pieces etc

D

Deleted member 81859

TP's sword play; hidden skills, running and slashing your sword at the same time

WW's freedom and ease of travel

OoT's: wonderful character interaction and integration (sage characters etc bigger roles in the story)

MM's creative sidequests and personal missions for emotional reward as well as heart pieces etc
The last two really caught my attention, as sometimes it does feel like NPCs are just quest bots. It would be interesting if there was a cast of characters who developed as the game progressed, and by assisting them you created bonds with them. The sidequests could show their character development.

The last two really caught my attention, as sometimes it does feel like NPCs are just quest bots. It would be interesting if there was a cast of characters who developed as the game progressed, and by assisting them you created bonds with them. The sidequests could show their character development.

Yeah, i think with Zelda U, upgrading the gameplay and conventions is fine but if they want to make it the 'ultimate Zelda game' then theyre gonna need to pull the story up too, i cared about characters in OoT and MM, it'd be nice for Zelda U to connect me with NPCs aagian

D

Deleted member 81859

Since a very popular theory is that ULink is a treasure hunter, what if there was a whole gang of them who all went questing for relics? Like a group of friends who all work together and explore.

LoZ- Nonlinearity
AoL- Monster Lethality
ALBW- Emphasis on exploration
OoT- Groundbreaking Vastness
WW- Vibrancy
LA- Humor
TP- Dude with a bird on his head

I Really hope they don't give you something like the fairy from Ocarina of time or the sword from Skyward sword. I hope they don't ease up on the difficulty and give the player a bit more exploration. Take the game to a more open world exploration, which to be honest looks like what they are going for. Wind Waker had the right idea by being linear with some basic open world elements and I really hope they advance on that.

Nintendo-Dolphin-1080p-Wallpaper-012-Zelda-Wind-Waker-Link-Outset-Island.png

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfa88nWAMsOtZbJWjcdooOg

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Link's Awakening was full of cheek and humor. And I said the dude with a bird on his head, not whose head is a bird. He sells you a bottle and has disgusting soup.
I think I know the dude your talking about. The guy with the big afro and sold you lantern oil?

But I'd like to see it be more difficult than those in previous games. SS, TP were a little too easy. Enemy variety. More than like 3 different enemies that get tougher as you play through the game but take the same method to defeat. Epona focused battles like in TP. A dark world or a dark region like in ALTTP because the dark world has the best over world music that better exist in the game. Also, puzzle difficulty being increased, in the newer games they basically lay out how to solve every puzzle without any thought. LAME! I wanna think and figure it out for myself.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
OOT- The difficulty of enemies. Also I enjoyed how the world changed after you leave the sacred realm. I'd like to see a constantly changing Hyrule or an event that shapes the world and landscape during the game.

MM-The tone and character development. MM had more mature themes such as dealing with death and impending doom. Characters changed over the three days, some getting more panicked, others in outright denial of their doom. I want to see some good emotional character development in Zelda U.

WW- The parry attack should return. It was great and there was no reason to take it out of the series after just being in one entry.

TP-Hidden skills. I want Link to be able to learn new moves throughout the game like in TP. Like the parry attack these were mostly removed for the next 3D entry in the series.

SS-Character development. Probably the best in Zelda however it was for a few characters only. Zelda, Ghirahim and Groose are the main three. I want to see this on a big scale in Zelda U. With many characters you keep encountering through your adventures and where you can see their personalities come through or change over the course of the game.

Let me put this. Although I might have listed Zelda games here for character development I must admit no Zelda game is top when it comes to this. Or with story for that matter. For those things I would suggest not just looking back at past games for where this was done well, but to other series even. Zelda needs to move forward because Nintendo have gotten into this habit of recycling ideas and not really furthering themselves. This is even more obvious when you look at Mario or Smash.

OOT- The difficulty of enemies.
WW- The parry attack should return. It was great and there was no reason to take it out of the series after just being in one entry.
Honestly I respect your opinion on these forums, but I think these are almost mutually exclusive. Personally, I hated the parry attack. It turned the OoT method of 'dodge and counter' into 'sit and wait for the A button prompt to flash'. And if you fought a group of enemies like Darknuts or Moblins, half the time while you were waiting for this inane garbage one of them would end up killing their allies for you, sometimes doing so until you only actually got to deal the final blow to the last enemy standing. it was an abysmal system and I'm glad it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom