• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Beetle is Freaking Awesome

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Whoa there. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I "love" the concept of the Beetle, but it really wasn't half bad. In fact, it was very useful for reaching objects out of Link's reach. Should it appear in another game? That's up for Nintendo to deliberate on. I wouldn't mind the Beetle making another appearance in a future Zelda game, but I would prefer that it would replace an outdated item. If it could, the Beetle would be a smart idea to replace the Boomerang, or even the Slingshot. I also thought the Beetle upgrades were a fantastic idea.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Oh hells yeah, love the beetle. Used extremely well, fun to play with and satisfying to upgrade. I do prefer the boomerang for personal reasons, but I'd be perfectly happy for the beetle to return in a future game.

The beetle is the most fully realized item in any Zelda game in a very long while. Once I arrived in the Ancient Cistern and still utilized the tool, the realization dawned on me that item creativity and usefulness weren't always mutually exclusive. Nintendo had previously failed with the ambitious Dominion Rod and Sand Wand from Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, respectively, but returned storming, proving the third time's the charm. If accessing obscure, hidden switches from a new perspective wasn't enough, the developers over at Nintendo outdid themselves by incorporating a mandible capable of picking up and tossing objects, more importantly bombs, in later upgrades.

Dan

Regardless I'm sort of bios towards beetles in general.... so if the beetle item literally just took a **** I'd still say I live it... because it's a beetle.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Beetle, a glorified Boomerang/Seagull pairing. The Beetle isn't as awesome, in my opinion, as fans might like to believe. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking or even spectacular that any previous "grab/retrieve" based item in the series has done. I get as much enjoyment out of the Beetle as I do The Wind Waker's Grappling Hook -- they serve exactly the same function, only the grappling hook isn't made out to be something particularly flabbergasting.

The Beetle, a glorified Boomerang/Seagull pairing. The Beetle isn't as awesome, in my opinion, as fans might like to believe. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking or even spectacular that any previous "grab/retrieve" based item in the series has done. I get as much enjoyment out of the Beetle as I do The Wind Waker's Grappling Hook -- they serve exactly the same function, only the grappling hook isn't made out to be something particularly flabbergasting.

Skyward Sword isn't my favorite Zelda game but the Beetle was simply phenomenal. Nintendo previously experimented with such creativity in the form of the Dominion Rod and and Wand from Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, respectively, but here this novelty was fully realized. I agree that is it is somewhat over hyped, however, its alterations to the traditional grapple concept are not to be underestimated. Maneuvering an organism across long, tight places and picking up objects is a natural fit for the Wii Motion technology and the beetle is fittingly one of SS's most used items.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword isn't my favorite Zelda game but the Beetle was simply phenomenal. Nintendo previously experimented with such creativity in the form of the Dominion Rod and and Wand from Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, respectively, but here this novelty was fully realized. I agree that is it is somewhat over hyped, however, its alterations to the traditional grapple concept are not to be underestimated. Maneuvering an organism across long, tight places and picking up objects is a natural fit for the Wii Motion technology and the beetle is fittingly one of SS's most used items.
I agree on that bold phrase; the Beetle is definitely one of SS' most used items and also a natural progression of the retrieval-based items previously seen, given the motion-based gameplay of the WiiMotion+ hardware. However, the Beetle's purpose is little more than a key trying to get into a lock: it stops all action on the screen just so we can carry that bomb to the cracked surface or hit the switch lying in a twisted, unreachable-by-other-means corridor. I'm not saying the Beetle is a bad item, it just isn't what many people make it out to be.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I agree on that bold phrase; the Beetle is definitely one of SS' most used items and also a natural progression of the retrieval-based items previously seen, given the motion-based gameplay of the WiiMotion+ hardware. However, the Beetle's purpose is little more than a key trying to get into a lock: it stops all action on the screen just so we can carry that bomb to the cracked surface or hit the switch lying in a twisted, unreachable-by-other-means corridor. I'm not saying the Beetle is a bad item, it just isn't what many people make it out to be.

Every item works like that. Items have specific functions that are used to "unlock" barriers. It's not about the concept, it's about what's done with it. The way the Beetle is used is pretty ingenius.

It also has a secondary function of reaching things in far away places.

The Beetle was the best item in Zelda history. I rank it just above the Whip and the Sailcoth. In fact, my entire top 10 is made up of Skyward Sword items. FACT.

In fact, I think I'm going to try to build my own beetle and beat Demise all by myself. FACT.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If they had just given us a speed booster in earlier models, I'd be content.

I wouldn't call it awesome but it was a cure for a lot of boredom, in a yelling 'death from above' kind of a way while dropping bombs on things in the desert region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom