• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link The Angry Video Game Nerd Reviews Zelda II: Adventure of Link

I

Ice

As the title says... check it out! -

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/702460

Personally, I've been waiting for a review on Zelda II as it's known as the black sheep of the series, by someone that reviews "Bad games". Even though James Rolfe is in character when reviewing this game, he does clear up points about Zelda II. (which many gamers of the gaming community need to know)

Zelda II happens to be my 2nd favorite NES game, and my 5th favorite Zelda game. That's right it's in my top 5. I think Zelda II is just different, it's not bad, it's just a different direction. What do you all think about the review/Zelda II? I think Zelda II is great. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he did a fair review. He said that it was a good game but very frustrating. I agree with him completely. It is definitely one of my favorite Zelda games of all time, but still was VERY frustrating, but that was worth it to me. I liked the challenge and the annoyance of it. It made it way more worth it when I actually beat the game.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I thought I hated this game for the longest time, and then I realized it was actually a good game -- it really was just the frustration that made me dissatisfied. But there was nary a time in that game when I wasn't frustrated, though. Ridiculously hard game, that.

I

Ice

Note: I like how I got something Zelda-related on the site before a staff member did on the front page. :p

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
It's definitely a favourite of mine, and I hate that it's dismissed by newer gamers as just being too tough, especially when they claim new titles are too easy. You want a good challenge, then give it a go. I'm glad the AVGN didn't tear it to shreads like truly bad games. It's not bad, just different. And as mentioned (which most gamers seem to glaze over) at the time, 50% of the Zelda titles were sidescrolling RPG-ish titles. It was not a black sheep at the time by any means. Over time it got that title, and I think it's mainly from people who never gave it enough of a chance.

Zelda fans who don't play it through are really not aware of what a gem they're missing.

I

Ice

Maybe that guy who said Zelda fans are spoiled might be right. :eek:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think he reviewed the game fairly but I personally don't like this game. From all the other Zelda games now it's just not right. It's a side scroller and it had too much to do with magic and potions like a weird "fairy, magical, wizardry, RPG game" It just didn't feel like Zelda to me, like in the way I first knew it. But who knows, I might give it a chance and play it through someday.

Last edited:

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
He makes a lot of good points about AoL, especially Death Mountain and the difficulty of it in regards to how early in the game it is.

I love the game though :D

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I have always really liked the game. It made me mad though when I had to restart at the first dungeon. And it didn't make since where they put Death Moutain xD.
But, I acutally like the RPG as much as I like what they use now.

lilwilly

Swordless Link
If you can't tell the difference between a snake and a rope, you have serious problems.

I

Ice

Well as the AVGN said, there wasn't a standard at the time, so you can't blame them for making Zelda II as a sidescroller. Although Zelda II did start up some of the things that Zelda has today, like a magic meter, and Dark Link became a mini-boss a few games throughout the series. I would really like the RPG-elements from Zelda II back, like getting stronger with every fight you get, being able to take more hits by getting stronger instead of just finding heart pieces or heart containers, same with magic. It could be like Zelda II but only flawless, with no side-scrolling since we're in the 3D age, so overhead and sidescrolling may be out for a console zelda. Just because a game is different, or if your skills for a game are poor, does not mean it's a bad game. The people that dislike it probably may haven't even beaten the game, not to brag, I beat it and all I can say is, I can look back on the game and think.. "Wow..that was a challenge."

Zelda II....I got my *** kicked playing that game so i gave up
i was surprised on the sidescolling, but like what others said there wasen't realy a standerd at the time so its ok

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
I really like this game. My sixth favorite Zelda game in fact. It's not really that hard, most Zelda fans think that you can just head straight to the dungeon like in every other Zelda game, but that's not the case in AoL. You have to level grind before heading to the dungeon. If you just storm in with all your stats at lvl 1, then yeah, it's going to be hard. But if you take the time to level up your stats, the game becomes significantly easier. The levelling system is really the only thing that makes AoL hard, IMO. I actually think it's pretty easy now that I know the importance of levelling up, and have the enemies attack patterns memorized, that's important as well.

I also love how it felt like a "fairy, magical, wizardry, RPG game" like someone put it. It made it feel so retro to me, and I enjoy that. I'm just glad the AVGN gave it a good review, I think more people need to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom