• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "3 Day Rule" For Texting A Girl

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
Okay, so my best friend is a lady's man and I sort of am too, I just seem to have less luck than most (the girl usually ends up psycho or loses interest in me two days later). I always ask him for advice, particularly, what do I do when I get a girl's number? He always tells me to wait 3 days before texting them, otherwise you look desperate and or creepy.

What do you guys think? I thought the whole reason of getting anyone's number was so you could talk to them. In the past I never really used the 3 day rule and haven't had trouble, but now I'm really paranoid about it so I always follow it. Do you think it's creepy if you text a girl the day after getting their number?

This rule could apply to girls getting guys' numbers too, I think.

bunny

birb overlord
I wouldn't think it'd be creepy. I'd say at least 24 hours, but 3 days is going a little overboard, in my opinion. Honestly, if a guy waited 3 days until texting me, I'd feel a little unappreciated. I mean, if I gave him my number I'd obviously want him to text me. Then again, I'm no expert...

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I wouldn't think it'd be creepy. I'd say at least 24 hours, but 3 days is going a little overboard, in my opinion. Honestly, if a guy waited 3 days until texting me, I'd feel a little unappreciated. I mean, if I gave him my number I'd obviously want him to text me. Then again, I'm no expert...

That's what I think. Good to hear that from a girl :) a lot of the girls I currently know I'm not really interested in anyway, I just wanna be friends with them ya know?

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Some girls give their number but have no interest and talking or texting. So dont get all happy just cause she gave you her number. Many girls find it creepy to deliver their number at all.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
I get the whole concept that it'd be freaky if you got a text the hour you gave somebody else your number for a lot of people but 3 days sounds rather ridiculous. If I gave my number to a girl I'd get stupidly paranoid if they hadn't responded in 3 days as I'd take it as a sign they have no interest.

Think of it like this: you meant somebody on their first day of school and you see their name of Facebook that very night. I'm assuming most people would be likely to send a friend request without the thought of overcrowding the person coming to mind. However this scenario is quite different as the one your referring to particularly refers to romantic interest in the person (I'm assuming).

Just my 2 cents.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
The best answer: Ask for her number, but don't give her yours. That way, you can text her right away like "Hey! It's me, so-and-so!" And if she starts a conversation, great! Text her all you want! If she sends you the obligatory "lol" or "hi", maybe leave it that.

Unfortunately, doing this and getting the obligatory response may mean you'll have to hold off on attempting a conversation of your own for a few days- three may be too many, so try texting her the next day.

Of course, you could always completely exchange numbers outright, and in that case I would say that you should text her sometime between 6-24 hours after parting ways.

Also, trust your instincts. If you're feeling queasy and sick with nerves, maybe you should hold of until you can talk to her calmly.

I didn't even know there WAS a 3 day rule o___O

Before I even texted my fiancé we exchanged numbers (he gave me his but I didn't give him mine). And who're I actually remembered I had his number I texted him 10 hours later saying "lol I forgot you gave me your number, plz forgive meeee"

So yeah haha

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Is your friend possibly Barney Stinson? :rolleyes:

No but seriously, why a girl looses interest in you depends 99% on how interesting you are to her obviously, not when you decide to text her. I'd say it's more what you text her, if you send her walls of text the second she gives you your number then I'd suggest you stop with that, vice versa too, if you keep sending one liners 2 times a month she'll get bored or feel rejected. First impressions are important too, if you don't see this girl very often the only memory she'll have of you is how you treated her, what you guys talked about and what you looked like the latest time she saw you, so make sure those are all top notch.

Personally I hardly ever used to text a girl, only when I really can't meet them in person or talk over the phone but everything else I'd say directly. Same with my current girlfriend, I just can't be bothered with texting all the time, it's tedious and it's cheaper for me anyway to just call people with my phone.

BTW, this bro of yours seems a little shady to me, if he really is that good with girls consistently and gives you the "3 day rule" as the secret trick then he either has no clue what he's doing and is just lucky or is trying to keep the real secret for himself. There are just so many different factors you have to take into account and I really find it hard to believe that the 3 day rule should be used as a general rule for girls, I'd only use it for low self esteem girls that subconsciously have something to prove to somebody, so getting the feeling of being rejected (guy not texting her after 3 days) will get her to come after you.. but then again, this is really random and doesn't work for all girls.

I think if a girl was interested enough to give you her number she probably wants to hear from you. I know if I gave out my number and didn't hear from the guy for three days I would think A. He's obviously not that interested in me or B. Was too busy to text me earlier and therefore doesn't have much time for me. When I gave my number out to guys I would tell them to text me there so we would both have each others numbers. That might be more forceful then some girls but I think most girls want the affection returned to them. Unless you text her like ten times before she answers back I really don't think anything in a "hi how are you" text could come off as creepy. Just be polite :)

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Gads. This is still around? I thought it went away with corded phones and cassette tapes.

Then again, I'm probably not the best reference... I only ever dated girls I knew fairly well.

I'd wait until the next day to text her after she gives you her number, so that you don't wait too long and she doesn't forget about you or anything. After that, I'd text her periodically - every 2 or 3 days - if she seems interested.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I'm a guy... and I gave MY number to a girl once... against my better judgment since I didn't really like her... she freaking texted me that very night and almost every day for the next 2 weeks! Finally stopped awhile ago, so this is a case where the 3 day rule did not apply to the girl. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom