• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The 2012 Presidential Election Thread

To all those who believe in Mitt Romney's $2 gas price promises, just remember that the president actually has no control over what the price of gasoline is.

Cody

ZD Pokemon Champion
I'm not in the US, but to me it seems like a much more clear choice than it is in Australia. In Australia the two main parties can be inconsistent in staying left/right on certain issues, and so voting for the further-left party may mean voting for a further-right policy on immigration.

In the US though, one party has consistently produced legislation and arguments with negative consequences for women and the poor and minorities, while the other has not. I think the concept that everyone should have an equal chance to be successful if they work hard (the American Dream) is a good one, so I would support Barack Obama.

I tend to focus less on the economic side of things because I have the sneaking suspicion that the President doesn't actually have a soundboard in his office that controls the economy, and that the majority of the party-based credit/blame passed around for the economy is just petty politics. The winning party is able to make some policy changes, but the brunt of economic change lies in the hands of people who aren't politicians.

I'm more concerned with the actual treatment of people, and the President, as a spokesperson with a lot of influence, is someone who can make a lot of difference in that area.

M

Masterofmind

Hmm....Micky mouse, anyone? I mean seriosly...everyone running is worthless. Also...ANYONE but obama. He is the most worthless, also the one who messed up everything. As far as worthlessness' everyone else is a dime and Obama is a broken penny. If anyone, i would vote Ron Paul, or Rick Santorum. NOTE: I don't even like republicans. =/

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Hmm....Micky mouse, anyone? I mean seriosly...everyone running is worthless. Also...ANYONE but obama. He is the most worthless, also the one who messed up everything.
I completely agree. This year may be the first time that I won't vote for anyone as president.

What exactly has Obama messed up, pray tell?

How about some of what he has done:

Launched recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, providing transparency and allowing the public to report fraud, waste, or abuse

Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans

Signed the Children's Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which provides health care to 11 million kids -- 4 million of whom were previously uninsured

Signed the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first piece of comprehensive legislation aimed at improving the lives of Americans living with paralysis

Developed stimulus package, which includes approx. $18 billion for nondefense scientific research and development

Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system

Ended Bush administration's CIA program of 'enhanced interrogation methods' by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terrorism interrogations

Established Credit Card Bill of Rights, preventing credit card companies from imposing arbitrary rate increases on customers

Health Care Reform Bill, preventing insurance companies from denying insurance because of a pre-existing condition

Health Care Reform Bill, allowing children to remain covered by their parents' insurance until the age of 26

Tax cuts for up to 3.5 million small businesses to help pay for employee health care coverage

Tax credits for up to 29 million individuals to help pay for health insurance

Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level

These are just a small few, I can name more if you like... (Thanks Simon for a great link a few pages back!)

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Although I like some of Romney's idea's, I see him more of a business man.
Also I don't like Obama's handling with America's economic issues, he's a good fit to fill in the shoes for 4 more years.
I'm really going both ways here.
(I am also too young to vote, but I stay informed with the news. ^^)

What exactly has Obama messed up, pray tell?

How about some of what he has done:

Launched recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, providing transparency and allowing the public to report fraud, waste, or abuse

Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans

Signed the Children's Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which provides health care to 11 million kids -- 4 million of whom were previously uninsured

Signed the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first piece of comprehensive legislation aimed at improving the lives of Americans living with paralysis

Developed stimulus package, which includes approx. $18 billion for nondefense scientific research and development

Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system

Ended Bush administration's CIA program of 'enhanced interrogation methods' by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terrorism interrogations

Established Credit Card Bill of Rights, preventing credit card companies from imposing arbitrary rate increases on customers

Health Care Reform Bill, preventing insurance companies from denying insurance because of a pre-existing condition

Health Care Reform Bill, allowing children to remain covered by their parents' insurance until the age of 26

Tax cuts for up to 3.5 million small businesses to help pay for employee health care coverage

Tax credits for up to 29 million individuals to help pay for health insurance

Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level

These are just a small few, I can name more if you like... (Thanks Simon for a great link a few pages back!)
Thank you for listing all the spending he has done in office so I wouldn't have to.

Obama is spending this country into oblivion. The national debt has only increased since his term in office, it didn't even stay the same. He's terrible at economics, and if you ask me, does not know how to run a country. And don't give me the excuse "well it's hard to get a country out of debt." I know it is, and I don't expect him to create a surplus of money in four years. But four years is certainly enough time to lower it a significant amount.

Economics is the most important issue in the United States right now, and Obama doesn't know how to deal with it.

Thank you for listing all the spending he has done in office so I wouldn't have to.

Obama is spending this country into oblivion. The national debt has only increased since his term in office, it didn't even stay the same. He's terrible at economics, and if you ask me, does not know how to run a country. And don't give me the excuse "well it's hard to get a country out of debt." I know it is, and I don't expect him to create a surplus of money in four years. But four years is certainly enough time to lower it a significant amount.

Economics is the most important issue in the United States right now, and Obama doesn't know how to deal with it.
Really? Then how come no other country has managed it. In fact, your economy is doing better than the vast majority, but you ignore that because of Republican propaganda telling you Obama is a SUPER LEFT WING COMMUNIST SPENDING MACHINE!!! as if there's only a two way choice between America (Republicans!) and 1970's Russia (Democrats!). I admit Obama has been disappointing, but I also believe he has the best policies, and has done admirably in an extremely difficult position.

Sir Analog

Hope Rides Alone
Really? Then how come no other country has managed it. In fact, your economy is doing better than the vast majority, but you ignore that because of Republican propaganda telling you Obama is a SUPER LEFT WING COMMUNIST SPENDING MACHINE!!! as if there's only a two way choice between America (Republicans!) and 1970's Russia (Democrats!). I admit Obama has been disappointing, but I also believe he has the best policies, and has done admirably in an extremely difficult position.
Super Left Wing Communist Spending Machine? Seems to me you have a rather extremist view of Conservatives. Stop pointing fingers. That's the problem with this country; not just Democrats; not just Republicans. Both of them are too busy butting heads to actually care about the people. This entire election has been/will be about "Who can beat Obama?" instead of "Who can fix the country?". On the Democrat's side, it will be "We need four more years to push our agenda through Obama." None of them really seem to care about the people or the country, and I feel like we no longer have a representative government. They've stopped listening to the people. If they stopped for one second and realized "Wow, we BOTH have screwed up this country TOGETHER" then maybe we could get somewhere. Where we are, neither candidate (Romney nor Obama) has any real interest in correcting this country, from what I have seen. Obama's a charmer, and that's pretty much it. He's also stubborn; he'll push what he wants until it gets done. Romney isn't someone that can really relate to the middle and lower class. (I still honestly think Ron Paul would be a good idea, but they won't nominate him because he "can't beat Obama".)

Super Left Wing Communist Spending Machine? Seems to me you have a rather extremist view of Conservatives. Stop pointing fingers. That's the problem with this country; not just Democrats; not just Republicans. Both of them are too busy butting heads to actually care about the people. This entire election has been/will be about "Who can beat Obama?" instead of "Who can fix the country?". On the Democrat's side, it will be "We need four more years to push our agenda through Obama." None of them really seem to care about the people or the country, and I feel like we no longer have a representative government. They've stopped listening to the people. If they stopped for one second and realized "Wow, we BOTH have screwed up this country TOGETHER" then maybe we could get somewhere. Where we are, neither candidate (Romney nor Obama) has any real interest in correcting this country, from what I have seen. Obama's a charmer, and that's pretty much it. He's also stubborn; he'll push what he wants until it gets done. Romney isn't someone that can really relate to the middle and lower class. (I still honestly think Ron Paul would be a good idea, but they won't nominate him because he "can't beat Obama".)
Did you actually read my post? Seems like you didn't.

I couldn't care two-flying snickers what other countries have managed/not managed. Could anybody manage to make a lightbulb before Thomas Eddison? No. Thomas Eddison had to be the first, somebody has to be the first. The United States has fixed their economic situation before (The Great Depression) and we can do it again. Just because other countries haven't done it doesn't mean we can't, and it doesn't mean we can't be the first. If President Obama knew enough about economics (which every President should) he could have lowered the debt by now, or atleast kept it the same. If you think President Obama has good economic policies, than I think your a bit confused. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to raise the national debt a few trillion dollars in only four years.

I'm also not ignorant enough to only get my sources of information from FOX News and Republican Propoganda. I listen to several liberal television networks and shows along with FOX, and I've formulated my opinion from that. I think we've debated this before (or perhaps it was somebody else), but I know you don't consider President Obama to be left-wing. He is left-wing, although he is not communist. And it is a fact that he loves to spend money (see increased national debt and Seth's post).

The fact that you think Obama has the best policies is subjective, and I can't change your opinion. I simply disagree. President Obama has not shown me anything from his first term that leads me to believe that he will be succesful in his second term. Now this doesn't mean I want Mitt Romney President either, because he sucks as well. That man will tell people anything to one-up his opponent. However, we have not seen Mitt Romney in action but we have seen Obama. It's time to give somebody else a chance, because as far as I'm concerned, Obama has failed.

Just wanted to butt in here: the President does not usually have the power to make most unilateral decisions, as some people here seem to think. I am not a fan of Barack Obama at all, but attributing him to everything that is wrong/right with our state of affairs is just, well, ridiculous. The President is not a Monarch or dictator, and one person should never, not even under the most extreme of circumstances, have the power to make decisions that affect the whole country, whether you agree with the decisions that person would likely make or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom