• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Text Scrolling Speed Option

Kybyrian

Actually, this really isn't a bad idea. I find myself sitting there pressing "A A A A A A A" like I do in Pokemon sometimes. An option to make the text go faster would be great, or at least making it go faster when you press the "A" button. It's not that I don't care about what they're saying(except for in TWW, that's how I didn't even know there was a sail until after Forest Haven), but it's just that I read very fast and it gets boring to sit there and wait for all the text to come through.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I like this idea. I think it's much easier to have a text scrolling speed than it is pressing the "A" button repeatedly. I found that by doing that, my thumb just got tired from doing so. Haha.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Yes please! It is sooooo annoying when it scrolls at a super slow speed...I think that they should put longer messages in bubbles too...or have an option to auto-scroll.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
cutscenes are timed so most of the time you can't speed up the text. But for all other text you should be able to choose a "message speed," OoX and a few other games give you this option but I really think they should reuse it more. Some people are faster readers and others like to take their time and absorb everything they read (maybe even look for alternate meanings and whatnot) but seriously, that slow text stuff kills me sometimes. the intro to a game will take up a good half hour because the game text is so slow and the game is heavy on menus and character interaction.. SS could have a message speed in the options right beside the file select screen. But I doubt they will give us the option... instead they will probably just give us that cutscene skip button (s) again, like in TP. I suppose if the message speed is predetermined than characters will gain personality in they way they act and talk, there are a few upsides but I understand completely, I would like to pick a faster than defualt setting, because I read it faster than the 3D Zelda's can crank it out.

Slow scrolling speed for text really annoys me, so I'd definitely like an option such as this. I generally read the text pretty fast, so slow scrolling speeds tend to bother me, especially if it's a lot of text/dialogue.

R

Rikuide

I'd love this too. There's nothing worse than being forced to sit whilst text slowly appears on your screen.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
I agree. In Donkey Kong Country 2 for gameboy when you press the B button everything moves faster. (cutscences, text) That would be great if they incorporated something like that into the game.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I don't think it's a good idea personally. The text is generally paced for dramatic effect. Sometimes it scrolls fast, other times slow for in-game meaning of how it's stated. I really enjoy how it's paced this way, and wouldn't want a sped up version of it. Of course, text can be sped already by hitting A before prompted, thus having the text box fill before it's been "typed". I personally dislike this as it removes some of the cinematic quality of the games the designers clearly want. Sure, on the umpteeth playthrough it could be annoying, but then I find it's always good to stop and enjoy what is written instead of going through the motions of the game without thought as to how it's being presented.

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
I like what they did in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, where you press A once to make all the text appear at once and you don't have to watch it spell out. Ocarina of Time bothers me constantly, you can't speed up some text or skip it.
Maybe they could comprimise with what basement24 said, still pausing at the dramatic parts, and if you press A to make the text appear, it would pause at the dramatic part and then continue.

Vibed

must read before he posts
This option was in ALTTP for GBA too.

I personally, agree with basement24. At some points in Zelda, I notice the text scroll at a certain speed for dramatic effect. I do like the double A option though, for normal speed text.

The speed of the text helps imagine how fast the character is talking. But it doesnt matter too much to me. I usually just want to read it so, a speed option would be an ok idea.

AaronX

One who sits
I think you should be able to choose how fast the text goes, but when it's important for a character to say something at a certain speed, it should "type" what they say at the speed that they would say it, and outside of those dramatic moments, it would go at the speed you chose.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Yes, I would like to have an option to change the speed of the text, but at the same time I agree with basement on that with having this option it would take away the dramatic feel that occurs when the text is appearing. I've experienced this as I was playing ALttP on the GBA. On the original SNES version, you did not have an option to speed up or slow down the text being shown it was shown to you in the normal way that text is shown in the Zelda series. But on the GBA version you have this option (default is on normal setting) and when I started a game up on there, I found myself hating that the text wasn't as slow as it was in the original. (Later on, I found out that you could make it slow like it was in the SNES version.) It took away from the dramatic feel of what the characters were saying when the text was sped up.

So in conclusion, I would but at the same time wouldn't want to have this feature implemented in SS. So I guess you could say that I'm at an impasse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom