• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Termina = Volcano

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So as the title says i think Termina is situated in a volcanic region or possibly in a ring of volcanos, the reasons i think this is the case lies in Great Bay, Snowhead and Woodfall.

Woodfall, we know that Woodfall Temple is in and of itself situated in a drowned crater atop a mountain or more accurately a drowned caldera, the temples whole purpose appears to be purifying the waters of woodfall to stop poison killing the area, this could be sulfur or other gases leaking into the water from underneath in addition to this woodfall is a heavily fertile land and volcanos are probably the best at this due to volcanic ash which could in combination with heavy downfalls cause very fertile mud and what is a swamp mostly? Mud.

The way the Temple itself purifies the water reminds me of how plants will draw in water and store it within roots and it can be released via pressure oftentimes this water will be purer than what entered the plant, we see atop the temple two dead and rotten trees, these i think were used in conjuction with the flower shrine within to draw the poison out of the waters and into the temple itself.

Snowhead, we know this region seems to struggle with winter and spring in game and i suspect this is rather due to the fact Snowhead temple itself sits atop a volcano, volcanic ash can blot out sunlight and cause freezing conditions easily, the temple itself seems to be a method of capping the volcano and the large pillar that is central to the temple could infact be a massive capstone used by gorons to seal the volcanic flow and direct it to heat the waters near by.

This could be true but i have to also take Goht into consideration this creature seems to have the power to halt the flow of seasons the boss itself seems to be made of machinary and so it's entirely possible Goht is an atmospheric dampener used in ancient times to manually change seasons, the very fact that Goht was frozen in place makes me think that as goht ran his course it spun the pillar capstone up and down allowing the heat of the below volcano to bubble up or simmer down, but thanks to skull kids meddling he was pinned in place while the capstones down causing it's circuits to ahah freeze up.

Greatbay, a watery region with a massive crevasse filled with deadly eels and waters that seem murky and overly warm, Pinnacle rock more than anything makes me think that there is underwater volcanos further off the coast or pyroclastic vents close to the beach the area of pinnacle rock is filled with massive holes similar to pumice (which is formed in volcanic flows) and these are filled with massive eels with rocklike shells for skulls, the eels themselves seem to feed much like certain whales do, straining smaller fish and organisms through their mouths for sustainence.

The waters being murky and overly warm would likely be a sign of underwater thermal vents (or pyroclastic vents if you like that phrasing more) and a rapid increase in seismic activity would cause the waters around these vents to rapidly change from gentle heat to increased heat which would kill off most form of aquatic life, similar to the zoras not being able to survive very well.

Great Bay Temple looks like a giant mechanical fish surrounded in "dragon cloud" which seems like it was water being sprayed into the air at high volume. The temple is apparently stricken by a curse that makes the waters murky and too warm for things to live there, to progress you have to basically reactivate the central turbine and restore the flow of water through the temple to access the large tank that gyorg is in which in itself has a large platform shaped like a bulkhead, i think that the temples whole purpose is circulate the water through the temple which seems to cool it down and to filter out any sediment that's risen from the ocean depths, all the water is directed into the boss room where a valve will release it back into the sea (the octagonal pillar), by circulating the water in the bay it'd stop such rapid heat fluctuations and filtering the water for any particulates would stop what happened in woodfall happening in great bay.

Ikana is one region i'm not so sure bears volcanic activity it more bears signs of tectonic activity and the hands of humanity, the reason behind it being earthquake country, the terrain leading up to ikana village is in drops indicating that the land has literally fallen away as the valley was pushed up, the Villages source of water appears to be an ore node probably iron, which could indicate why ikana was attacked if it was rich in iron ore, Stone tower Temple appears to have been physically carved from mountains and houses in itself a core leading to either hell or heaven, i think the source of volcanic activity in fact started in Ikana thanks to the tower being inverted during creation to trick the people, doing so would've ripped open the earth and caused all the seismic activity that plagues the rest of the land, the people themselves were likely slain during this tumultuous event, and even after the tower settled down these people returned as undead beings forever warring with their neighbours.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
wheres the actual volcano in game?? and ikana people not being there could be from the volcano erupting right next to them

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
wheres the actual volcano in game??

in several locations, Snowhead Temple is situated directly ontop of one, we see lava vents near the bottom of it and i imagine it'd fill with lava during actual activity.
The mountain in the swamp is a semi dormant volcano, Woodfall Temple sits in the flood caldera of it and siphons poison from it
Greatbay would appear to have either underwater volcanos or very strong thermal vents littering the coast
Ikana seems to be the result of violent upheaval that's common to a new volcano being born or moutains being created.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It seems like a cool idea. I don’t know much about volcanoes, but the Snowhead one seems possible. The other two could be a bit of a stretch, but it still seems cool.

Snowhead legit feels the wierdest temple in someways, the rest you can knock up whats happening on events around the temple such as poison swamp or built as a gateway to heave/hell, but snowhead is sitting on a volcano and doesn't melt? It also has a goron guardian who breathes icy wind. Not to mention that it's an icy peak with a seemingly bottomless pit under it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think your right about Woodfall, Snowhead, and Great Bay.

Underwater volcanos in the Great Bay region is highly likely. Or atleast, there are geothermal vents situated there because underwater volcanos aren't far, like you pointed out. And the game states the issue with the water is a rise in the temperature. The vents would be the culprit.

In the case of Snowhead, the lowest level of the temple has areas with lava. Here's an idea, maybe Snowhead was built above a dormant volcano? A dormant volcano still has potential to erupt; it's classified dormant because it hasn't erupted for a long time. The temple hasn't frozen because the magma has pretty much remained low enough to not be an issue. Plus the altitude is so high up that is why the area is cold.

I've always thought it was pretty obvious that Woodfall is located in a collapsed volcano, or caldera. I never thought of the poisoned water being due to volcanic ash, though. In any case due to Skull Kid putting possession over the Woodfall Giant that is what caused the water to be poisoned. It could be because Woodfall Temple was an ancient area to naturally purify the water. However, the Dekus seem to no longer remember what its true purpose is. This brings up whether they even built it at all?

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think your right about Woodfall, Snowhead, and Great Bay.

Underwater volcanos in the Great Bay region is highly likely. Or atleast, there are geothermal vents situated there because underwater volcanos aren't far, like you pointed out. And the game states the issue with the water is a rise in the temperature. The vents would be the culprit.

In the case of Snowhead, the lowest level of the temple has areas with lava. Here's an idea, maybe Snowhead was built above a dormant volcano? A dormant volcano still has potential to erupt; it's classified dormant because it hasn't erupted for a long time. The temple hasn't frozen because the magma has pretty much remained low enough to not be an issue. Plus the altitude is so high up that is why the area is cold.

I've always thought it was pretty obvious that Woodfall is located in a collapsed volcano, or caldera. I never thought of the poisoned water being due to volcanic ash, though. In any case due to Skull Kid putting possession over the Woodfall Giant that is what caused the water to be poisoned. It could be because Woodfall was an ancient area to naturally purify the water. However, the Dekus seem to no longer remember what its true purpose is. This brings up whether they even built it at all?

Dekus seem to be evolutionaly stunted in MM, we can see they've knowledge of how to build and to some extent work a form of magic (via raising the temple) but the Temple itself suggests it was built by either ancient deku or was built FOR the deku, the current ones though seem more than OOT dekus but still stunted even their color is off for Woodfall, Especially the scrubs, this however can be chalked down to the poison that seeps out from the drowned volcano, some plants wouldn't be able to thrive and others would.

I kinda subscribe to the idea the giants aren't guardians over termina but are more genii loci for each region, they seem to be exceedingly powerful and can even exert strength on physical object indicating that spiritually they are ridiculously powerful, as to how they all look the same, it's possible that the hexs used by the dark tribe (they who owned Majora's Mask originally) modified native spirits allowing them to become stronger or even the fact the giants were custom created. They seem to be incredibly ancient, certainly older than Ikana Kingdom

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
GREAT theory, dude! Holds weight. Very intriguing.

I suppose I never gave it much thought before, but Termina appears to be an equatorial region. Probably has a hotter temperature than Link is used to and features tropical forests, warm waters, open yet fertile central plains and a variety of geographical climates as equatorial regions tend to exhibit: high altitude cold mountains, dry canyons and even a coastal region compared to Hyrule which features temperate forests, high dry altitudes, dry plains with gently rolling hills and less diverse ecosystems.

If Termina were somewhere in Central America, I would put Hyrule somewhere in the Germanic region of central Europe where geothermal activity is less frequent than in equatorial areas.

Hyrule does, of course, have one very prominent and very active volcano - and then of course there is my thread explaining the change in geography between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess that provides supporting evidence for substantial geological activity in Hyrule.

Given the prominence of geothermal activity in Japan, it would stand to reason that the aesthetic would find its way into these games. Termina is also a land that showcases some post-industrial technological developments; most notably clockwork mechanisms powered by steam. It would stand to reason that Terminians would harness the energy source their land naturally provides to power their technology.

I think this makes sense but I have a theory about the second day as well: since Guru-guru talks to you on the night of the first day, he plays the Song of Storms and makes it rain on the second day. It isn’t very good, but it’s another weather-based theory so I figured I should mention it.

1) Woodfall is a swamp. Swamps by their nature are very lush and fertile areas
2) Snowhead being on top of a volcano makes sense, since Gorons love to situate themselves in and around them. Also, many Zeldas have a volcano.
3) Its a possibility.
5) The Dragon Cloud is a magical barrier that's more akin to a waterspout.
4) Goht is a giant that got turned into a monster.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
1) Woodfall is a swamp. Swamps by their nature are very lush and fertile areas
2) Snowhead being on top of a volcano makes sense, since Gorons love to situate themselves in and around them. Also, many Zeldas have a volcano.
3) Its a possibility.
5) The Dragon Cloud is a magical barrier that's more akin to a waterspout.
4) Goht is a giant that got turned into a monster.

1) Swamps don't normally have water thats poisonous to it's residents, not to mention that the Temple is situated inside of a massive ring of rock you get the same view from within Death mountains Crater in OOT, you got clear skies and a big ol rock ring, plus volcanos tend to have sulfur and other chemicals that can be hazardous to plant life.
4) Yeah the Dragon Cloud does feel more like a waterspout but it doesn't really help with explaining Great Bay warming up
5) All the Giants are technically turned into monsters.

1) Swamps don't normally have water thats poisonous to it's residents, not to mention that the Temple is situated inside of a massive ring of rock you get the same view from within Death mountains Crater in OOT, you got clear skies and a big ol rock ring, plus volcanos tend to have sulfur and other chemicals that can be hazardous to plant life.
4) Yeah the Dragon Cloud does feel more like a waterspout but it doesn't really help with explaining Great Bay warming up

1) That was a curse. Swamps also don't have little flying plant people running around them, or buildings that magically rise from playing bagpipes. This is a fantasy land. Bodies of water, believe it or not, can have rocks in it.
4) What's hard to figure out? Global warming is also a thing. Both manmade and natural. Also, Majora's job is to run around causing trouble, up to and including catastrophic events.
5).Precisely. You see my point. At no stage in the game were the giants referred to as weather deities. They are guardians. The old Granny at the inn straight up told the player that.

I did acknowledge that Great Bay might be near undersea volcanos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom