• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Termina Split Timelines

Did Link create a number of timeline splits within the existence of Terminas dimension? I have often wondered about this as we know that Zelda's sending Link back in time in OoT and his subsequent actions created a timeline split, but in Termina the same thing occurs... Roughly 3 or 4 times at minimum. In Ocarina of Time, Zelda's Hyrule persisted forward, so why not Termina?
In Twilight Princess, the subsequent game following the events in Majora's Mask, the Heros shade is an embodiment of Link and his regrets from an age past. Perhaps he understood that his actions and Zelda's actions had created so many splits in the fabric of reality and that for various versions of Termina... He had not saved anyone.
Just a thought and admittedly, there are likely reasons as to why this is totally not possible, but I would be curious to see what others think about this.

Cheers!

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Any action or inaction creates another timeline. Every zelda game has a downfall timeline though we don't see it. Every enemy killed or left alone creates a new one

D

Deleted member 83535

This is why the Downfall Timeline is the dumbest. A Majora's Mask split would be easier to swallow.
I mean, there are four games that mess with time but they decide that somehow there's a timeline where Link died fighting Ganon. That's just absurb. For me, even saying that Link got lost in time and ended up in Soul Calibur II would make more sense.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I had the idea that the downfall timeline should have taken after majora's mask instead, in the event that link wasn't able to stop the apocalypse and went down w/ termina when the moon crashed, b/c at least there we see a cutscene of that actually happening
plus you can still have it where ganon takes the triforce for link to the past: w/ n64 link gone, he wouldn't be able to teach link in twilight princess the final blow [which even gameplay wise is required to beat ganondorf], so you can make it so that link is the one that loses and still have a downfall timeline; or better yet if that link is n64 link's descendant...well there you go, now there's no link to stop the twilight invasion and ganon's eventual conquest
obviously I'd rather no downfall timeline at all, but this is how I would make sense of it

Last edited:
Depending on which official source you choose to believe, Termina is either another dimension completely, or it doesn't really exist. If the former, one can argue that time works differently there and any time Link changes the past, he erases the future.

I decided to just stop trying to make sense of the DT, because really, it's exactly what it's described as, a separate continuity with no real connection to the other. Its still a stupid copout and I know they'll change their story on it later, but right now that's all it is.
I will say, however, that this is why I hate the multiverse trope; it just encourages lazy writing.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
my headcanon is that Lorule is actually Termina following the events of the hero is defeated timeline.
nothing can prove this isn't the case, and the majora's mask on the wall of link's house is clearly a hint by the developers to lead us to this conclusion.

but hey that's just a theory pure baseless speculation that sounds cool

D

Deleted member 83535

Well, in those I listed, you're actually going back and forth. In Twilight Princess, it seems to be very self-contained, I don't think a split could have come from there. No idea what you mean about Oracle of Seasons though.

Especially in Skyward Sword, unless I'm misremembering, you actively changed the timeline, by defeating demise in the past and thus removing Zelda, Link, the Triforce and the master sword from that timeline completely. I saw a theory in another place that this event is what could trigger a timeline for Minish Cap and the Four Swords games, makes sense in my book.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Well, in those I listed, you're actually going back and forth. In Twilight Princess, it seems to be very self-contained, I don't think a split could have come from there. No idea what you mean about Oracle of Seasons though.

Especially in Skyward Sword, unless I'm misremembering, you actively changed the timeline, by defeating demise in the past and thus removing Zelda, Link, the Triforce and the master sword from that timeline completely. I saw a theory in another place that this event is what could trigger a timeline for Minish Cap and the Four Swords games, makes sense in my book.

I’m referring to the fact that you change seasons in OoS, and since the four seasons take place in for different times of the year one could make he assumption that you’re changing the time of year.

Also the problem with a split coming from the other games (sans MM) is that in every example there are certain plot points that display how it can’t be another split in the timeline, most notably impa in SS. The other problem is that you are always ending the game in the later of the two timelines (once again sans MM). In OoT the split happened because the majority of the game happened in the adult timeline, so when you leave for your original time you are actively changing the past and your future is going to be different from the adult timeline. In the other games your original timeline is the future so the past just ends up feeding into the present instead of making a new world. I hope that made sense.

D

Deleted member 83535

You could argue that in Oracle of Seasons you're actually changing the weather, but that's non-important anyway.

As for everything else, you do make a lot of sense. Ocarina of Time is the only game where you do stuff in the future and then go back to the past (your original time). In all others you go back to the past, do stuff there and then return to the future (your original time).
In all honesty, I always assumed Majora's Mask are just redos until you get events right, when you do, their state is stored, at the end every "right" result is collected into a unified timeline. The question is, who gets to decided that and how do they do it? Possibly the goddess of time, I suppose.

D

Deleted member 83535

Yes, it all started with "We kept you in stasis for 7 years", but then he's somehow capable of "unstasis" himself -7 years. Which realistically it makes no sense.
The stasis bit is fine, Zelda sending him back 7 years to the past to live his normal life is fine. The whole mechanic of travelling through time doesn't make much logical sense.

Edit: Now that I think about it, wouldn't Link returning 7 years to the past and alter stuff there also "feed" into the future timeline, essentially erasing it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom