• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Termina=Realm of the Ocean King

What do you think about this Theory

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh, kinda dumb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Termina is the World of the Ocean King. For all we know Termina might not be affected by the timeline splitting since it's an alternate dimension.

Also, Bellum's character motivations are largely unknown and unpredictable, as was Majoras. ("Bellum" is also latin for war while the name "Majora" may stem from Major.)
I'd hardly say that Bellum's character motivations are unknown. Bellum seems to be interested in stealing other people's life force.

Last edited:
People who are saying that there is no ingame evidence to make the theory viable are simply not looking hard enough. Look at Bellum's eyes, people...they're completely identical down to the smallest photoshop pixel. Not to mention his purplish hue and his ability to possess people... Also, Bellum's character motivations are largely unknown and unpredictable, as was Majoras. ("Bellum" is also latin for war while the name "Majora" may stem from Major.)

Said people are probably reading too much into things. I think it's safe to say there are hundreds of characters in the Zelda series who share similar aesthetics. This can be the result of several reasons. It could an easter egg, reference, or nothing but mere coincidence. (see Ghirahim (debbie)=Vaati theories) Also, the Fused Shadows of Twilight Princess also bears likeness to Majora's Mask, and I personally find a connection between them more credible than Majora/Bellum. Another thing, Majora's motivations were a bit sketchy, but I surmise he was feeding off the emotions of the Skull Kid whom seemed to be consumed by sadness and other strong emotions. Bellum was more into consuming Life Force to become all powerful, hence his interest in Tetra. Regarding the names, "Majora" is simply a small change from its Japanese name "Mujura", while Bellum's name is indeed Latin for "war", it can also relate to the word "flower" from which the word "cerebellum" shares roots; this would make sense given his ability to possess others.

How do you explain the co-existence of Kiboli and that other postman from world of the ocean king? In OOT/MM era, there were also two postmen, but one lived in Termina and was a parallel duplicate. In WW/PH era, Kiboli is implied to be a descendant of a postman, possibly the one from Minish Cap, while the postman with wings from PH likely is a descendant of MM's postman. (I'm not going to get into whether they were reincarnated, because it really doesn't change my point very much. There are still 2 postman descendants in this time period that clearly came from different ancestry.)

Given the complexity of your statements combined with lack of strong in-game elements, save for a small entry from WW, which states Koboli is a descendant of a postman, I can readily tell you that you are simply reading too much into things. To be honest, the postmen - generally insignificant NPCs - are not strong sources of evidence to begin with.

The people who are claiming that WOTOK is just another sea next to Hyrule are also disregarding a lot of evidence. What kind of sea is only accessible from a ghost ship? Why would sailing to a new sea have the effect of resetting time when you came back? WOTOK is no normal sea, it is magically separated from Hyrule by the ghost ship and works on a different temperal clock. Lawyered.

But I have a difficult time ignoring AONUMA. Also read this:

The World of the Ocean King isn't actually an alternate dimension.

Nintendo Dream: How far from The Wind Waker's sea does this game take place?

Hidemaro Fujibayashi: Right next to it.

Nintendo Dream: Is it that close?!

Hidemaro Fujibayashi: Well, it takes place during their journey after leaving the waters of The Wind Waker.

Eiji Aonuma: We can have an unlimited number of stories in the Zelda series. A new adventure may be waiting for them if they just wander into the sea next to the one they're sailing (laughs).

Seriously, kroni... If anything, all that mystical, ghostly stuff is likely the result of a magical aura or something that resonates from the Ocean King, NOT an alternate dimension...

You're attempting to support your theory with more theories, which doesn't work...

Theories deal in facts.
^ :yes:

At the end of Phantom Hourglass it is said that the sea they are in is another world.
Spoilers!
This is what Tetra says in Phantom Hourglass at the end (exact quote). "So what is the world that we are in now?" Before this happened the Ocean King said something like "The Ghost Ship does not haunt your world anymore."

So, they are obviously a different dimension. To Aonuma's quote, it could have been retconned.

K

kroni

I don't think that Termina is the World of the Ocean King. For all we know Termina might not be affected by the timeline splitting since it's an alternate dimension.

I'd hardly say that Bellum's character motivations are unknown. Bellum seems to be interested in stealing other people's life force.

Was that stated somewhere or are you inferring it? It that's true, it still makes Bellum similar to Majora. The only quote we really have to understand Majora's motivations is "I will consume...everything"

Given the complexity of your statements combined with lack of strong in-game elements, save for a small entry from WW, which states Koboli is a descendant of a postman, I can readily tell you that you are simply reading too much into things. To be honest, the postmen - generally insignificant NPCs - are not strong sources of evidence to begin with.

I'll grant you that the postman is not a significant character, but can you think of anytime in the series that an NPC has two identities in the same time period? (Not including separate timelines) The only example is in Termina. Your response is that I'm looking to much into it when I have presented a legitimate inconsistency. The quote you mentioned from WW is enough to show the Koboli has a connection to the postman, and the fact that PH postman also has bird like features indicates some kind of relationship to me. How can they both exist at the same time?

At the end of Phantom Hourglass it is said that the sea they are in is another world.
Spoilers!
This is what Tetra says in Phantom Hourglass at the end (exact quote). "So what is the world that we are in now?" Before this happened the Ocean King said something like "The Ghost Ship does not haunt your world anymore."

So, they are obviously a different dimension. To Aonuma's quote, it could have been retconned.

This is a situation where we have a developer's quote coming into contradiction with an in-game quote. Ideally in this situation we would want to find a way to rationalize both quotes without creating any inconsistencies. What we have Aonuma saying is that WOTOK is "right next to" the WW sea and that it is not an alternate dimension. The first part doesn't bother me, because Termina was "right next to" the Lost Woods and was still clearly it's own dimension. The second part is where we have a major conflict. PH refers to WOTOK as it's own "world", and Aonuma makes a point to separate the ideas of "world" and "dimension", though he has specifically used the word "dimension" in his description of Termina.

Looking up "world" in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/world) I get planetary or time-period definitions. None of these reflect how Aonuma describes WOTOK, so one of the quotes needs to be retconned. Given the nature of how Link arrives in WOTOK, the way time was affected by the trip, and it's mystical connection with the Ghost Ship, I would venture to say that it was Aonuma's quote that was mistaken and that there is in fact some sort of "dimensional barrier" between Hyrule and WOTOK. This is of course a matter of debate but I believe assuming this leaves a lot fewer inconsistencies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Why can't there be more than one postman? I mean, Earth's postal service isn't run by Santa Claus... What makes Hyrule special in this regard?

Also, I don't remember much about PH but the ST postman reveals that there are several postmen:

I've got a letter for you,
so I'll just jump right in
and read it aloud.
Oh, wait--that's the way
we USED to do things. But
no more!
Apparently, some folks
thought our reading their
letters out loud was rude.
So now our policy is to
just hand-deliver the mail
unopened.
(I remember LOL'ing at that in-game)

Note the plural pronouns. Though the Japanese might be more vague - I don't have retranslations on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom