• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Updates & Suggestions Thread

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Hey, everyone. The purpose of this thread is to update the community on any new technical features one of the staff members creates, and also to promote feedback and discussion regarding any technical features. If you have a suggestion, or would like to give your opinion on a feature, this is the place to post it.

Current Technical Administrator: - Contact if you are having troubles
Locke

Recent Updates: - This list does not include extremely minor changes (i.e. changing the amount of messages displayed per page of the chatbox)
1/4/2015: Switched the forum software from vBulletin to XenForo
1/17/2015: Added a "Top Poster of the Month" feature, detailed here.
1/21/2015: Added game network ID fields to accounts, under "Contact Details".
2/13/2015: Added a block smilies feature, detailed here. NEW UPDATE (4/18/2015): block smiley categories, detailed here.
2/13/2015: Added sign in with Facebook and Twitter functionality.
3/3/2015: Updated forum software to 1.4.5
5/21/2015: Updated forum software to 1.4.7

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
One very common want I've seen from multiple people is the ability to ignore and PM in the SB. I'm not sure whether it's possible to implement such features into this rather odd chatbox or whether an upgrade to a better chatbox would be feasible, but I think this is a community want.

Jamie

One very common want I've seen from multiple people is the ability to ignore and PM in the SB. I'm not sure whether it's possible to implement such features into this rather odd chatbox or whether an upgrade to a better chatbox would be feasible, but I think this is a community want.

Just made it so if someone is in your forum ignore list, they will be ignored on the cbox. I left out a "/ignore" function as I figured it might cause confusion, making people believe the ignore lists are separate. They are not separate. Unfortunately, having a separate ignore list as well as having a PM function would require Kitsu and I to have Database access, which we do not have. Hopefully this makes things easier for you, however.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just made it so if someone is in your forum ignore list, they will be ignored on the cbox. I left out a "/ignore" function as I figured it might cause confusion, making people believe the ignore lists are separate. They are not separate. Unfortunately, having a separate ignore list as well as having a PM function would require Kitsu and I to have Database access, which we do not have. Hopefully this makes things easier for you, however.

Oh I thought that was already something that happened. Anyway I have a couple of problems with the idea of not having the chatbox function separate.

First off, I don't think anyone was confused by the previous ignore function in the last shout box, it was made clear that forum ignore function was different ignoring someone in the SB. I mean it's pretty obvious really, both ignore buttons are activated separately - one when clicking on someone's profile and the other in the shoutbox. If confusion was to somehow exist, when I doubt that it would anyway, then you simply explain it a thread.

Second problem is that the two are different. Ignoring someone on the entire forum blocks you from seeing all of their posts - they basically become nonexistent. While ignoring someone in the chatbox simply blocks you from seeing their chats. There might be a time when you want to ignore someone in the chatbox without ignoring them on the forum entirely and this is where I see this being a problem. I'll apply this to example: let's say someone is possibly annoying in the chatbox (it does happen), but you still want to see their posts (maybe you're in a Mafia game with that person), then now things become a bit complicated.

While both are similar, on terms of ignoring, they act differently. I understand if you guys can't implement the feature, it's just something to think about it.

Last edited:

Jamie

JC, your first point outlines perfectly exactly why I didn't include a "/ignore" function. Because they aren't separate. I don't want people to think they are separate, so you cannot ignore people with /ignore. You misinterpreted my original response to you.

Ideally, they would be separate, and I would have made a pm function. If both these features existed, I would certainly have both a "/ignore" and "/pm" function included in the chatbox. Unfortunately, as I said in my earlier post, kitsu and I do not have database access, which would be required to have a separate ignore list or a pm system. A pm system would require adding at least a field to the database, separate ignore list probably an entire table.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
JC, your first point outlines perfectly exactly why I didn't include a "/ignore" function. Because they aren't separate. I don't want people to think they are separate, so you cannot ignore people with /ignore. You misinterpreted my original response to you.
Oh I knew what you were saying, I was just giving my points on why they should be separate especially if you don't want to ignore someone entirely, just in the CB.

Repentance said:
Ideally, they would be separate, and I would have made a pm function. If both these features existed, I would certainly have both a "/ignore" and "/pm" function included in the chatbox.

Unfortunately, as I said in my earlier post, kitsu and I do not have database access, which would be required to have a separate ignore list or a pm system. A pm system would require adding at least a field to the database, separate ignore list probably an entire table.
Wasn't the last chatbox separate though (I think it was now if I recall)? Is this because this particular chatbox doesn't allow them to be separate or something?

Jamie

The last chatbox, when it was installed, already included this feature. The current chatbox does not already have these two features, so we'd have to create them from scratch. To do so, we'd need to modify the database, which I believe only Locke can do.

EDIT: You're in luck. Apparently we can do whatever queries we want, so I just spent the last hour or two creating a separated ignore function! use /ignore or /unignore to ignore or unignore a user only on the chatbox. :)

Last edited:

Jamie

Just fyi, we are currently working on a "/pm" function. Thanks for the awesome suggestions, JC!

@ALIT: Kitsu and I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Any way to get a specific notification for when someone directly quotes you? I know I've seen a couple of people say this, so it seems like something good to bring up now.

Any way to get a specific notification for when someone directly quotes you? I know I've seen a couple of people say this, so it seems like something good to bring up now.

This is an interesting idea I've seen a few people mention before. My idea of how it would work would be like, check using userinfo['username'] (the person being notified) if their username matches a quote attribute in a thread. Obviously have to work out the details, but I like the idea and will look into it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I know this has been mentioned a million and one times, and I wouldn't say it's a huge matter, but is there actually anyway to get likes to appear in the blog section? That's awlays stumped me.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I know this has been mentioned a million and one times, and I wouldn't say it's a huge matter, but is there actually anyway to get likes to appear in the blog section? That's awlays stumped me.
They existed before when we had a different like system. I believe the reason that was removed was cited to be something about using too many resources. The like system we have now doesn't seem to integrate into blogs. I'd assume that to get them to work on blogs we'd require a new system from what we're using now.

Just a note, I set all usergroups' stored PM capacity to 2000 (what it already was for admin) since that's a lot more reasonable than 200. I updated the vbshop item to reflect this, as it now is for 5000 PM capacity. So now we can have even more PMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom